Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote: »

FirstUp, this post constitutes personal abuse, it does not matter if that person is a boards.ie member or not.

Further posts, by anyone, along the same lines will lead to an infraction.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/shane-lowry-i-m-thrilled-to-be-here-but-i-m-annoyed-with-usga-draw-of-pairing-three-big-guys-together-1.1828756

To be honest, I am also annoyed about something.

I don’t mind saying it, but I think it is a bit cheeky of the USGA in making the draw the way they did. I’m with Brendon de Jonge and Kevin Stadler for the first two rounds. Someone’s bright idea!! Put the three big guys together!! I think it is unfair on the three of us. It is definitely not drawn out of the hat, that’s for sure. And I just hope we don’t get stick from the galleries.

What they did is making a mockery of the three of us. I spoke to Graeme McDowell, and he thinks I should say something to the USGA about it.

I’ve always had a bit of extra weight. I have worked on my fitness, but people don’t always see that. I am my own fella and the important thing to me is that all my friends and family know exactly what I do and how hard I work for my career and how passionate I am about golf and doing as good as I can.
    At the end of the day, you don’t have to be 75 kilos or 80 kilos and built like a tank to do well at this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think Shane is right and I think it is not a nice thing for the USPGA to have done, but I also think that he should just forget about it quick and concentrate on his own round of golf.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I think Shane is right and I think it is not a nice thing for the USPGA to have done, but I also think that he should just forget about it quick and concentrate on his own round of golf.

I think he is not being that honest with himself either. They will be playing in the mid thirties temperature wise, with a good chance of weather delays, resulting in maybe having to play catch up of 27+ holes a day. I don't think you can seriously argue that fitter, lighter players are not better equipped for that - especially on a course designed to drive you nuts anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

It's the US open , not a stag do three ball. It's just rude to competitors and really it should be something players don't have to deal with at a major. Yes they are chunky, so is the whole country.

What other pairings were there decided against, dead family members in the past year , divorcees, alcohol problems, investigated by the FBI.

If I was Shane though I would have said we all thought it was because we had huge c**ks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/shane-lowry-i-m-thrilled-to-be-here-but-i-m-annoyed-with-usga-draw-of-pairing-three-big-guys-together-1.1828756

To be honest, I am also annoyed about something.

I don’t mind saying it, but I think it is a bit cheeky of the USGA in making the draw the way they did. I’m with Brendon de Jonge and Kevin Stadler for the first two rounds. Someone’s bright idea!! Put the three big guys together!! I think it is unfair on the three of us. It is definitely not drawn out of the hat, that’s for sure. And I just hope we don’t get stick from the galleries.

What they did is making a mockery of the three of us. I spoke to Graeme McDowell, and he thinks I should say something to the USGA about it.

I’ve always had a bit of extra weight. I have worked on my fitness, but people don’t always see that. I am my own fella and the important thing to me is that all my friends and family know exactly what I do and how hard I work for my career and how passionate I am about golf and doing as good as I can.
    At the end of the day, you don’t have to be 75 kilos or 80 kilos and built like a tank to do well at this game.

FirstUp.
    As discussed via PM, thank you for citing the source.

I think you can agree that the tone of his point is vastly different than yours. Nowhere did I spot him refer to himself as "fat" or any sort of "lump".

Warning stands, to everyone.

• Advertisement

It's the US open , not a stag do three ball. It's just rude to competitors and really it should be something players don't have to deal with at a major. Yes they are chunky, so is the whole country.

What other pairings were there decided against, dead family members in the past year , divorcees, alcohol problems, investigated by the FBI.

If I was Shane though I would have said we all thought it was because we had huge c**ks

They certainly won't stick out in North Carolina.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

An article I was reading yesterday stated that in the Women's US Open the USGA once paired three players who had previously been in therapy so they certainly have 'history' in this regard...

'Rude' - that's the word for it. But let's move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Now 3 over after 9. Very unlucky with his putt on the 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

It's early days but wouldn't want to drop anymore shots now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Why is he dressed all in black...be roasting there.

DuckHook wrote: »
    Why is he dressed all in black...be roasting there.

Black is slimming - to be fair he looks well in black, but you're right - not ideal in hot weather.

Just picked up a birdie at 5 (his 14th)...now 2 over.......C'mon Shane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Was that him missing a putt a minute ago. Saw someone in black missing a short one

Rikand wrote: »
    Was that him missing a putt a minute ago. Saw someone in black missing a short one

Probably yes as he is back to +3. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Finished +3. Out earlier in the morning so anything near a level par round would see him through to the weekend. Seeing de jonge playing so well beside him must help some bit.

C'mon Shane!!

Looks like Shane is not the only one who's put out about his grouping for the US Open. http://larrybrownsports.com/golf/kevin-stadler-shane-lowry-upset-over-heavyweights-group/232338. I think the comment about 5-year-old sense of humour hits the nail on the head.

Anyway, it was nice to see him get so much coverage and the morning start today should give him a good chance of making the cut. It's just a straight top 60 and ties.

abff wrote: »
    Looks like Shane is not the only one who's put out about his grouping for the US Open. http://larrybrownsports.com/golf/kevin-stadler-shane-lowry-upset-over-heavyweights-group/232338. I think the comment about 5-year-old sense of humour hits the nail on the head.

Anyway, it was nice to see him get so much coverage and the morning start today should give him a good chance of making the cut. It's just a straight top 60 and ties.
    Even buch Harmon mentioned it in commentary last night, so it has been spotted. Very silly of the uspga in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That missed putt on 18th was a kick, only for the fact that it looked in all the way. I know it's only a shot but I think signing for a +2 would have added to his confidence which seems to be on the up where +3 may have left him a bit deflated.

Hope he dusts himself off and puts in a steady one today. I actually think he's one of a few out there that could go out and have a really (relatively) low round.

Isn't there a 10 shot rule this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

First Up wrote: »
    Isn't there a 10 shot rule this time?

They got rid of it for the US Open in 2012.

Hadn't heard of them re-introducing it (although with the USGA I wouldn't be surprised!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No 10 shot rule, cut will probably be +5.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

1 under for his round today at the turn, +2 for the championship. Three birdies on the front 9, great stuff.

Kaymer flying again at 8 under now so hard to predict what the cut-line will be.

loadwire wrote: »
    1 under for his round today at the turn, +2 for the championship. Three birdies on the front 9, great stuff.

Kaymer flying again at 8 under now so hard to predict what the cut-line will be.

Kaymer is irrelevant to the what the cut mark will be though isn't he?

Well yes, he will be if he stays that far ahead. If he was to have a bad back 9 it could change the cut mark dramatically though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Well yes, he will be if he stays that far ahead. If he was to have a bad back 9 it could change the cut mark dramatically though.

Not really, no 10 shot rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The 10 stroke rule was abandoned in 2012. His score will only impact the cut line if he falls back to below the cut - which would require a spectacular implosion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

yep, from the internet, so therefore we know its legit ::
    The U.S. Open cut rule is that all golfers in the top 60 plus ties make the cut. Golfers outside of the top 60 plus ties are cut from the field and fail to advance to the final two rounds of play.

The current cut rule went into effect beginning in 2012; for many years prior to that, the U.S. Open cut rule included the common "and all golfers within 10 strokes of the lead" provision. That provision meant that if a golfer was outside the Top 60 - say, in 68th place - but was within 10 strokes of the leader's score, he still made the cut. However, that 10-strokes rule was eliminated beginning in 2012.

So to repeat: The U.S. Open cut rule is Top 60 plus ties. The "plus ties" provision means that there are no playoffs for the final spots in the Top 60. Say 58 players are at +5 or better, and another seven players are at +6. All seven of those golfers at +6 make the cut because of the "plus ties" provision, so in that example 65 golfers would make the cut. There is no limit on the number of golfers who can make the cut by virtue of the "plus ties" provision. If, for example, 18 golfers are tied for 60th place, then all 18 make the cut.

oops I stand corrected...

• Advertisement

Bad time for his first double of the week. Under pressure for the cut now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Needs to birdie the last by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Needs to birdie the last by the looks of it

+5 will be easily through

*Maybe not easily but id expect it to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Sh1t... bogey on the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ouch...fingers crossed

Poor finish, not totally gone yet but +5 has been the number I've been thinking all day. Only gonna get tougher though so a small chance yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Bogey on the last cost him big, missed cut by 1 a real pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Bogey on the last cost him big, missed cut by 1 a real pity

Just caught up with the live coverage, big pity. Seemed to be enjoying himself, not caught up in the occasion. Just the rest he may need for next week.

Just the rest he may need for next week.

Not sure he'd see it that way, but I guess you could be right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Making the cut would have put him into the top 60. Such a shame to miss the cut by 1

Rats! Shame to finish like that yesterday. But he seems to be in good form - let's hope he does well next week.

• Advertisement

Be nice to see him and Padraig in the final group on Sunday week. Well, I can dream, can't I?

Be nice to see him and Padraig in the final group on Sunday week. Well, I can dream, can't I?

Oh yes please! Really hoping Padraig has a good week too. It will be great for the numbers attending if these guys are in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Really expected Shane to push on in Fota and get a top 10 with the form he has had. Hopefully this is a minor blip and he can push on from here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

He's part of a massive Irish contingent at the Scottish Open this week, including McIllroy and Harrington. Hopefully with less pressure on all of them they put in some good performances.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    He's part of a massive Irish contingent at the Scottish Open this week, including McIllroy and Harrington. Hopefully with less pressure on all of them they put in some good performances.

Really think if Harry had a good putting week, he will contend, I dunno did anyone notice but he was outdriving Paul Casey or at least level him last Sunday in the final round.

Story of Harro's game v P Caseys on the Par 5 4th hole last Sunday:

Shot 1:
    Harro: 300 yards at least to corner of dogleg, middle of fw
    Casey: about 285 to right rough

Shot 2:
    Harro: 3wood/5wood to just short right of the green leaving a handy chip across the green.
    Casey: chop out with a hybrid to short left of bunker leaving an awkward flop over bunker

Shot 3:
    Harro: Hits poor chip and run, ball finishes up about 8 feet from the hole
    Casey: Hits wonderous flop shot to about 6 feet

Shot 4:
    Harro: misses putt
    Casey: Birdie's hole.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

Scottish Open is not for a couple of weeks yet, BMW International this week followed by French Open next week.

Pressure on Lowry this week, missed cuts at the U.S and Irish open's have dropped him from 15th to 19th in race to Dubai. If he's still top 20 after this week he qualifies for The Open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

ssbob wrote: »
    Really expected Shane to push on in Fota and get a top 10 with the form he has had. Hopefully this is a minor blip and he can push on from here!

I don't think one good tournament translates to good form. In reality his performance at Fota was what we should have expected from him this year, in what has been a hugely disappointing season to date. Without Wentworth he'd be scrapping to retain his card. He's actually very lucky that the flagship event is held on a course that he clearly loves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

I don't think one good tournament translates to good form. In reality his performance at Fota was what we should have expected from him this year, in what has been a hugely disappointing season to date. Without Wentworth he'd be scrapping to retain his card. He's actually very lucky that the flagship event is held on a course that he clearly loves.

I have to agree with you here Mindbender. Since Wentworth he has played like the rest of his season.

poteen wrote: »
    I have to agree with you here Mindbender. Since Wentworth he has played like the rest of his season.

In fairness I think both of you are a mile off, do you not remember the way he destroyed the field the following day at Walton Heath to qualify for The US Open?

Also the week before Wentworth in the Open de Espana he finished T15th and the week after in the Nordea Masters he closed with a 66 to finish T-25th.

Surely this represents good form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

On top of Wentworth, he did fairly well to qualify for (and just miss the cut in) his first US Open (and the 2 decent showings Bob mentionned ;) )

Not saying that he's gonna have a great year but I've seen enough to suggest he wouldn't be struggling for a card leaving Wentworth aside and I'd expect a few decent finishes to come.

Personally I get the impression that he's a bit of a home bird at present, in that, we'll see the best of his when the travel is at a minimum and I'd expect him to have a decent "European Leg" of the European Tour.
    I'm not quite sure he's comfortable with all the travel. Hopefully that'll come with experience.
    An example of this would be hanging around to watch Offaly on the Sunday before the US Open. Maybe he needed to do that as a form of unwinding but a lot will say he should have been over in Pinehurst getting ready... I'd be inclined to say that he's the kind of lad that the match would have done him some good but it is unusual.

Also a bit harsh saying he's lucky he loves Wentworth. Some courses suit some golfers. That's par for the course. Loving a course doesn't guarantee a good place and that takes away from a great achievement.

When he's on form he has proven to be very comfortable in the highest levels. I think we'll some decent results over the next month or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement