Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Ronney wrote: »
    A goon run in the open ( big money event and into top 50 uspga etc.) and a win at some stage could see a push for gleneagles!

I think he needs a really good summer to get to Gleneagles, all of those ahead of him are in all the top comps so will be harder to catch as the year goes on.

On the European Points he is €1.3m outside of the last spot so even a win at the open doesn't get him into that list and on the other side, his OWGR points he is 90 points behind Luke Donald so while a win would get him into last spot there it's not guaranteed.

I think 2 regular tour wins or a major win will get him close enough for McGinley to think about bringing him but if he is not in the team I think no matter what the form you would have to imagine Poulter/McDowell etc being picked ahead of him.

Hope he lights it up though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I think Gleneagles is a long shot for him, I'd just be happy to see a good Open and perhaps another top 5 finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I agree that he is unlikely to make it to Gleneagles, but great to see him pushing on well. Top 50 in the world would be brilliant. Hope we see plenty of him this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Top 50 in the world, Masters and all the WGC events have to be his aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Lowry just posted a pic on Facebook and he looks like he has shed stones of weight in the last 6 months to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The TV adds on about 3 stone to be fair. He's not near the size he looks on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

3 Birdies in a row to get back to -2 thru 12 holes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

4 birdies in a row now after picking up a shot on the difficult 14th! 2 par 5's to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Redo91 wrote: »
    4 birdies in a row now after picking up a shot on the difficult 14th! 2 par 5's to come.
    Well, three in a row, then a bit of a break for a par and then another birdie :)

rrpc wrote: »
    Well, three in a row, then a bit of a break for a par and then another birdie :)

Your right. My bad. I got a bit carried away there ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

Birdied 18th, -4, well done Shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

He crept in there at the end, what a round. Great to have an Irish flag near the top of the leaderboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Official leader board had him as a par on 18th. What happened to the regular leader board. This one has been inconsistent all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Official leader board had him as a par on 18th. What happened to the regular leader board. This one has been inconsistent all day

The official has him down for a birdie. Where are you looking?

He crept in there at the end, what a round. Great to have an Irish flag near the top of the leaderboard.

And another on top of it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

good stuff from the two irish lads'it would be some crack if they were both in the same group on sunday and still in the hunt!!!! . I think i"m getting ahead of myself

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ib_sanf

He went in the right direction for this today.
    Know he's still way back on each list etc, he's trending well though.

Ronney wrote: »
    A goon run in the open ( big money event and into top 50 uspga etc.) and a win at some stage could see a push for gleneagles!

Just hope he can keep it all together tomorrow, doesn't lose the run of himself. C'mon Shane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

vienne86 wrote: »
    Just hope he can keep it all together tomorrow, doesn't lose the run of himself. C'mon Shane!

At this stage I'd be fair more confident with Shane over Rory. I really got the sense that Shane thrives on being up at the top from his Wentworth display.

Don't think he'll get ahead of himself but will prob require a fair bit of good fortune just like anyone else.

• Advertisement

By all accounts, Shane will be in the worst of the weather today. I know he is good in bad weather conditions, but I hope he doesn't lost to much ground on the field. C'mon Shane!

Yep, the Thursday evening/friday morning rotation getting the worst of it it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

PARlance wrote: »
    At this stage I'd be fair more confident with Shane over Rory. I really got the sense that Shane thrives on being up at the top from his Wentworth display.

I kind of understand the point you're making, but bear in mind that it was Rory who finished ahead of Shane at Wentworth. I think a lot will depend on how Rory plays today - his Friday form is something that has become a major topic of conversation and it's almost as if he has a mental barrier that prevents him from playing well on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Good round yesterday from Lowry, what time does he tee off today

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Good round yesterday from Lowry, what time does he tee off today

10:21 this morning.

abff wrote: »
    10:21 this morning.

And he seems to have parred the first. Just switched on and weather looks OK there.

Edit: Someone else is saying he birdied the first.....I'll keep watching!

• Advertisement

And he seems to have parred the first. Just switched on and weather looks OK there.

Edit: Someone else is saying he birdied the first.....I'll keep watching!

Think it was a par, lovely approach left him a decent birdie attempt but don't think it went in.

BBC interviewed him on the range earlier, they aired it just before his tee off. Very relaxed and confident.

Think it was a par, lovely approach left him a decent birdie attempt but don't think it went in.

BBC interviewed him on the range earlier, they aired it just before his tee off. Very relaxed and confident.

I wish they would show us a bit more of him. Seems windy there, but he is good in windy conditions.

I wish they would show us a bit more of him. Seems windy there, but he is good in windy conditions.

If he can pick up a birdie (-5) then I think the cameras will get onto him.
    They're showing plenty of Coetzee since he went to -5 (then -6).

It is a shame when we're watching so much of Ernie etc but that's just the way with TV coverage and marquee groups

If he can pick up a birdie (-5) then I think the cameras will get onto him.
    They're showing plenty of Coetzee since he went to -5 (then -6).

It is a shame when we're watching so much of Ernie etc but that's just the way with TV coverage and marquee groups

I think you're right.....so C'MON SHANE!

OMG - BBC just showed him make a lovely chip. Bogey unfortunately though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Dropped a shot but early days yet. He will still get around in a decent score! Hope rory brushes off the friday blues!!

lowry birdie on 5! :D

Birdie for Shane on par 5 5th.
    Had a decent stab at the eagle

And a cracking bunker shot on 6 that should save par.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Double

Double

yep, that hole doesnt suit him, he bogeyed it yesterday, doubled it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Rikand wrote: »
    yep, that hole doesnt suit him, he bogeyed it yesterday, doubled it today

That's a few players have had problems on it. Think Kaymer doubled it as well. Playing as the hardest hole. Hopefully he can steady the ship over the next few holes. The birdies will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Pics of him in a cart...must be OB :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He is back to level par :(

Big test for him now. Com'on Shane, finish on -2,-3 and it'll still be a very good round.

• Advertisement

Bugger. Another bogey. +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Stop posting... ;)

cooler.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Birdie at 11. If you go onto the Open website you can see him play 13.14.15 in a few minutes.

For those of us stuck in work

Hopefully that is is bad patch out of the way now!

AGC wrote: »
    Birdie at 11. If you go onto the Open website you can see him play 13.14.15 in a few minutes.

For those of us stuck in work

Well, I'm at home, but I am glad to watch these holes now, rather than watch Rory and Tiger practice. Nice drive there from Shane on 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Two birdies on the back 9 puts him at -1.

Shane was in the difficult part of the draw - late yesterday/early today. I hope he gets a bit of luck weather wise tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyka

Great start today. 2 under for the first 3 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Shane was in the difficult part of the draw - late yesterday/early today. I hope he gets a bit of luck weather wise tomorrow.

He normally plays better in the rough weather.
    Today should suit him.

Advertisement