Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

yaboya1 wrote: »
    He normally plays better in the rough weather.
    Today should suit him.

Up to -4 now..birdie on the par 5 5th. going great. keep it together to the turn where things went awry yesterday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He's looking pretty good. Has lost some of the bulk too. Fair play.

and another one at six! up to -5 really on fire today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Right Shane, level par through the next 3 please.

He's really struggled with 7,8,9 the last 2 days. +6 for those 6 holes

Com'on Shane!

has made bogey,double bogey on 7 first two days so if could just get a par to keep it going. was very unlucky yesterday so hopefully can keep it going. the putter is on fire so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Go carefully now Shane.

rory looking a bit shaky so far.

great recovery putt on 2

shane playing with the korean AN, Byeong-Hun and both -4 so far. really dragging each other along.

great par on 7 to exercise the previous demons! par always a good score on that hole.

I'm wrong there - he is playing with gallagher and manassero.

shane playing with the korean AN, Byeong-Hun and both -4 so far. really dragging each other along.

great par on 7 to exercise the previous demons! par always a good score on that hole.

Just par 8 and 9 and I'll be very happy.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Just par 8 and 9 and I'll be very happy.

got the par at 8..so 4 shots better than yesterday.

• Advertisement

and a par on 9..great front 9. now if he could match it with Thursday's back 9..

would take -7 or -8...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

So far so good from Shane, keep's it interesting for tomorrow.

and a par on 9..great front 9. now if he could match it with Thursday's back 9..

would take -7 or -8...

And a biblical wind as he walks off 18

PARlance wrote: »
    And a biblical wind as he walks off 18

bogey on 11 - disappointing!

bogey on 11 - disappointing!

Rats. Keep it together Shane!

Another bogey :(

Another bogey :(

Afraid to look now.

Afraid to look now.

All ok again. Nice birdie on 14

And a decent look at birdie on 15 coming up.

Some achievement by AN.... A long way to be dragging anyone. He's in the group ahead :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Lowry is paired with Broberg today. He really needs to concentrate on his own game because from what I've seen of him, Broberg can be very hard going.

Depends on who's the stronger personality I suppose, my money's on Shane :)

Super tee on 9. A few feet to get him to -6

Coverage was a bit behind. He has birdied the tenth now. Up to -7

Keep it together Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Two more birdies to reach 9 under after 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Up to -9 now with 2 to go giving him T6

I know he's quite a bit off in terms of points etc for the Ryder Cup, but surely he'll be in with a big shout of a Captains pick.

Not too many other Europeans in better form since Wentworth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know he's quite a bit off in terms of points etc for the Ryder Cup, but surely he'll be in with a big shout of a Captains pick.

Not too many other Europeans in better form since Wentworth.

I'm not so sure. Poulter and Westwood will definitely get the nod, regardless of form. Too many with experience ahead of him. But I'd love it if he did. I like the cut of his jib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Presume there's big world ranking points on offer here, anyone know where a top 5/6/7 finish would put him roughly?

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure. Poulter and Westwood will definitely get the nod, regardless of form. Too many with experience ahead of him. But I'd love it if he did. I like the cut of his jib.

3 captain picks this time around so he might be in with a decent shout.
    I'd have him ahead of Westwood but then again there may be some slight bias there :)

His WGC Matchplay win v Rory 2 years back may help Paul with his selection story. The story is getting better. I think he'll sneak in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Would put him in the top 7.

Beard needs to go though.

The weightloss is also affecting his game negatively. Needs a bit of tubby back.

3 captain picks this time around so he might be in with a decent shout.
    I'd have him ahead of Westwood but then again there may be some slight bias there :)

His WGC Matchplay win v Rory 2 years back may help Paul with his selection story. The story is getting better. I think he'll sneak in.

I couldn't remember who I thought would get third pick but it was G Mac. You have Francesco Molinari as well.

As a fellow Biffo I'd love to see him there because I think he has the mentality for the RC but I think he'll be just outside the team.

Just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He would be a great partner for Rory

Great round from Shane - should bump him up the world rankings a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Yeah I'm trying to find out if it will get him into the top 50. He is currently 68. He said in his press conference just now that his goal will be to get into the top 50 during the next few months so I guess from that, that today's efforts won't quite be enough.

• Advertisement

Brilliant finish. Happy days. Pizza for grub tonight.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Yeah I'm trying to find out if it will get him into the top 50. He is currently 68. He said in his press conference just now that his goal will be to get into the top 50 during the next few months so I guess from that, that today's efforts won't quite be enough.

There's an Irish lad on twitter (@VC606) who is a bit of a rankings guru and he reckons it'll prob just see him get to ~55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

There's an Irish lad on twitter (@VC606) who is a bit of a rankings guru and he reckons it'll prob just see him get to ~55

Ahh so close! Hopefully one more good result will get him there!

A few passing him out now, but still a fabulous week for him. Would love to see him get into the top 50 soon.

A few passing him out now, but still a fabulous week for him. Would love to see him get into the top 50 soon.

T8 now, no payout.

• Advertisement

Charl drop him to T9. Looked soo good an hour ago.

It was always going to happen. Top 10 is still a great result.

Does the T10 guarantee his place next year? Hope so.

Does the T10 guarantee his place next year? Hope so.

Yes, it does. He finished in a 3 way tie for 9th. Worth 14 OWGR points and will probably bring him up to 57th or 58th in the rankings. The win should bring Rory up to 2nd.

His recovery from the 5 dropped shots across 7, 8 and 9 on Friday was huge. A lot of players would have let that effect them more than he did and coming back with a bogey-free back 9 with a couple of birdies showed strength of character.

Good times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Will today's result do much for Shane's Ryder cup position. Wouldn't it be magic to see him make that team. Love the green and gold socks with the white trousers too. What a legend. Is that for the Biffos or Ireland I wonder?

yettie1701 wrote: »
    Will today's result do much for Shane's Ryder cup position. Wouldn't it be magic to see him make that team. Love the green and gold socks with the white trousers too. What a legend. Is that for the Biffos or Ireland I wonder?

He was 16th on Euro Tour list and 23rd on world rankings list before the weekend anyway.

yettie1701 wrote: »

Good result, but he's still a long way off qualifying automatically for the Ryder Cup. His European points will be around 1.2 million, with 4th place being around 2.4 million. On the world points list, he will have around 93 points, with somewhere around 170 points being the current cut off point.

Unless he wins the US PGA or a couple of other tournaments, he will need a wild card to make the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Up to 15th in race to Dubai, just shy of 900k. Place in next years Open already in the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

abff wrote: »
    Good result, but he's still a long way off qualifying automatically for the Ryder Cup. His European points will be around 1.2 million, with 4th place being around 2.4 million. On the world points list, he will have around 93 points, with somewhere around 170 points being the current cut off point.

Unless he wins the US PGA or a couple of other tournaments, he will need a wild card to make the team.

Yeah it's a pity he wasn't playing like this earlier in the season aswell as his chances of a wildcard are slim with Westwood and poulter certs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement