Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

No if or buts
    A brilliant tournament for him
    On a huge upward surge now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

DuckHook wrote: »
    Yeah it's a pity he wasn't playing like this earlier in the season aswell as his chances of a wildcard are slim with Westwood and poulter certs.

Poulter yes but not so sure about Westwood. Still, a good few ahead of Lowry in the queue for a pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cant see him making the team at this stage but id be disgusted if westwood was a guaranteed pick on his current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Cant see him making the team at this stage but id be disgusted if westwood was a guaranteed pick on his current form.

I think Westwood has gone on record as saying that he doesn't want to be picked if he's playing like he is at present. I think Poulter deserves a pick based on his last three Ryder Cups unless he's missing cut after cut in the run up to this year's competition. I think GMac is also likely to get a pick if he doesn't make the team automatically. After that, it's anyone's guess as to who will get a wild card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dust has settled....
    I actually think that Shane's best chance would be for
    Donaldson & Luke to lose a bit of form and be caught by GMac & Poulter so that those two are automatics.

That would give him the best possible chance IMO as GMac & Poulter have to be in the team.

If Donald(son)'s lost some form then it'd be far easy for Lowry to get in as an in form player.

If that was to happy it'd be harsh on Donaldson but who cares :) I think Shane would do wonders for the team spirit etc.

abff wrote: »
    I think Westwood has gone on record as saying that he doesn't want to be picked if he's playing like he is at present. I think Poulter deserves a pick based on his last three Ryder Cups unless he's missing cut after cut in the run up to this year's competition. I think GMac is also likely to get a pick if he doesn't make the team automatically. After that, it's anyone's guess as to who will get a wild card.

I'd say Poulter, GMac and Jiminez are the most likely picks as of now but a lot could change. Lowry could still play his way in, or show enough form but his lack of RC experience won't help.

PARlance wrote: »
    Dust has settled....
    I actually think that Shane's best chance would be for
    Donaldson & Luke to lose a bit of form and be caught by GMac & Poulter so that those two are automatics.

That would give him the best possible chance IMO as GMac & Poulter have to be in the team.

If Donald(son)'s lost some form then it'd be far easy for Lowry to get in as an in form player.

If that was to happy it'd be harsh on Donaldson but who cares :) I think Shane would do wonders for the team spirit etc.

Your assessment is spot on. Donaldson and Donald are the two players most at risk of falling outside the automatic placings. It's very unlikely Donaldson will get a wild card if he fails to make the team automatically. Donald may well get a pick if he's close.

If Poulter and Gmac make the team automatically, that would leave Shane in with a chance of getting a wild card, although McGinley would probably be concerned about being seen to be biased unless there is a cast iron case for picking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Lowry and McIlroy for the Olympics would be a great team for Ireland. Am I right in saying the Olympics will be a 2 man team?

Great finishing round from him today. He has Majors wins in him so long as he continues to progress and gets a bit of luck along the way. A British Open is a definite possibility over the next few years.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Lowry and McIlroy for the Olympics would be a great team for Ireland. Am I right in saying the Olympics will be a 2 man team?

Great finishing round from him today. He has Majors wins in him so long as he continues to progress and gets a bit of luck along the way. A British Open is a definite possibility over the next few years.

It's an individual event for the Olympics. 72 holes, no team aspect, just like a normal tournament.

Top 15 in the world qualify directly so that should see Rory in that group.
    I think each country can have 2 more outside of this (up to a max of 4 players per country) so if I've got that correct we could pick 2 more.

• Advertisement

Poulter would be a cert anyway as his the next player on both lists. As things stand one of McDowell, Jimenez and Gallacher would be disappointed. IMO Donald is the only one of the 9 that may be pushed out of the automatics. F.Molinari and Luiten would need something special I think.

There's only 60 players in each event (men's and women's). Qualification will be based on world rankings as of 11 July 2016. The top 15 players of each gender will qualify, with a limit of four golfers per country that can qualify this way. The remaining spots will go the highest-ranked players from countries that do not already have two golfers qualified. The IGF has guaranteed that at least one golfer from the host nation and each geographical region (Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Oceania) will qualify.

Based on current rankings, Rory and Shane would make it, assuming GMac opts to represent the UK, in which case he would be in the UK team with Rose. If GMac opts to represent Ireland, then Donald would get a place in the UK team and Shane would lose out. Only the US (with four players) would have more than two qualifiers. There are so many US and UK players in the top 100 that only around 40 of the top 100 in the rankings would qualify for the Olympics as things currently stand.

Of course, that's all based on current rankings and a lot can (and will) change between now and July 2016.

There's only 60 players in each event (men's and women's). Qualification will be based on world rankings as of 11 July 2016. The top 15 players of each gender will qualify, with a limit of four golfers per country that can qualify this way. The remaining spots will go the highest-ranked players from countries that do not already have two golfers qualified. The IGF has guaranteed that at least one golfer from the host nation and each geographical region (Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Oceania) will qualify.

Based on current rankings, Rory and Shane would make it, assuming GMac opts to represent the UK, in which case he would be in the UK team with Rose. If GMac opts to represent Ireland, then Donald would get a place in the UK team and Shane would lose out. Only the US (with four players) would have more than two qualifiers. There are so many US and UK players in the top 100 that only around 40 of the top 100 in the rankings would qualify for the Olympics as things currently stand.

Of course, that's all based on current rankings and a lot can (and will) change between now and July 2016.

McDowell is playing for Ireland abff, him and McIlroy as things stand.

Poulter would be a cert anyway as his the next player on both lists. As things stand one of McDowell, Jimenez and Gallacher would be disappointed. IMO Donald is the only one of the 9 that may be pushed out of the automatics. F.Molinari and Luiten would need something special I think.

I appreciate the fact that Donaldson needs to fall two places in both listings in order to miss out on automatic qualification. However, he is only marginally ahead of Stenson and less than €50k ahead of Bjorn in the European points list and marginally ahead of Donald and less than 15 points ahead of Poulter in the World points list, so his position is far from secure.

Donaldson is less than €50k ahead of Bjorn in the European points list and less than 15 points ahead of Poulter in the World points list, so his position is far from secure.

IMO i said, we'll know soon enough anyway.

I appreciate the fact that Donaldson needs to fall two places in both listings in order to miss out on automatic qualification. However, he is only marginally ahead of Stenson and less than €50k ahead of Bjorn in the European points list and marginally ahead of Donald and less than 15 points ahead of Poulter in the World points list, so his position is far from secure.

Actually, I think that the 1.50 world ranking points that Donald got for making the cut in the Open will put him a fraction of a point ahead of Donaldson in the world points list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Donald is a cert as everyone wants to play with him foursomes imo

IMO i said, we'll know soon enough anyway.

I agree that Donald is at risk. But I don't agree with your statement of opinion that he is the only one who may be pushed out of the automatics, for the reasons I outlined above. In any event, as you say, we'll know soon enough.

Shane up to 59th in the world (via @VC606 on twitter, he's usually spot on).

By my reckoning, he's up to 58th.

Correction: I agree with calculation of 59th. I thought he would pass Russell Henley in the rankings, but I think he will be just behind him at 2.27 vs 2.28. I forgot to allow for the fact that Shane's divisor is increasing from 50 to 51.

By my reckoning, he's up to 58th.

I had a suspicion that you might be that guy on twitter. Guess that rules that one out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Guys I can't see anyone breaking that top 4 on the European Points list who is currently outside the standings.

At the moment, the picks will most likely go to Poulter/Gmac/Gallacher(Home player and McGinley will want the home support to get behind us as much as possible)

Next in line then I think are Jiminez & Westwood(Completely based on experience rather than form)

Then the others who can push for a spot if they can continue to show good form are Shane & Francesco Molinari. I think that Joost Luiten had a great year last year but this year has not been great for him so far so don't see him getting a pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Reportedly (but would like to know where, Indo) Shane was asked 3 times not to wear his green and orange socks, would like to know by whom?.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/shane-lowry-flies-flag-for-ireland-on-his-socks-30446731.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭paulos53

According to the schedule on his website Shane is only playing 2 of the next 6 weeks before the team is selected. He must be saving his energy for the bigger tournaments in September and October

I can't see him being picked based on good form when playing so little golf in the lead up to the wildcard selection so I see his only chance of making the team is do something special at the USPGA.

ssbob wrote: »
    Guys I can't see anyone breaking that top 4 on the European Points list who is currently outside the standings.

At the moment, the picks will most likely go to Poulter/Gmac/Gallacher(Home player and McGinley will want the home support to get behind us as much as possible)

Next in line then I think are Jiminez & Westwood(Completely based on experience rather than form)

Then the others who can push for a spot if they can continue to show good form are Shane & Francesco Molinari. I think that Joost Luiten had a great year last year but this year has not been great for him so far so don't see him getting a pick.

I agree that it's unlikely that anyone who is currently outside the 9 automatic qualifying places will make it into the top 4 on the European points list. But it's quite possible that Stenson and Bjorn, who is currently 6th on the World points list (4th when you exclude McIlroy and Stenson, who are both currently qualifying from the European points list) will both finish ahead of Donaldson. Stenson is just over €5,000 behind Donaldson and Bjorn is just over €47,000 behind.

If that happens, Bjorn will qualify from the European points list and his place on the World points list would go to the next in line on that list, which is currently Donaldson. However, Donaldson could easily fall down the rankings on the World points list between now and end August. The gap between him and the next four players on the list is as follows:

Gallacher 7.79
    McDowell 11.30
    Poulter 14.80
    Jiminez 21.62

With the points on offer in the Bridgestone and the PGA, there's a good chance one or more of those four players could earn enough points to get into the automatic placings. Of course, if someone from further down the rankings was to finish top three in either of those events, this could catapult them into the team and Donaldson could hold onto his place if he performs well over the next six weeks.

But barring someone storming through with a top finish in one of the two big events, it seems very likely that the top 9 will come from the current top 9 and the 4 players listed above. 7 players seem to be almost certain of making the top 9, with Donald likely to get a wild card if he doesn't make the automatic qualifiers, but Donaldson probably unlikely to get a pick.

I think the worst case scenario for McGinley would be both Donaldson and Gallacher making the top 9, in which case he would have to choose from Poulter, GMac, Donald, Westwood and Jiminez for his three wild cards. I think the first three named would get the nod.

Best case would be two out of Donald, Pouter and GMac to make the team, in which case the third would probably get a pick and he would have two wild cards left. In that scenario, Westwood might come into the frame, but Lowry and Molinari might also be considered if they are playing well, particularly if Donaldson, Gallacher and Jiminez are not playing well over the next month or so.

Maybe this should be in a Ryder Cup thread rather than here, but it follows on from previous discussions on this thread and I guess it has some relevance in that it addresses the possibility of Shane making the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭blackwhite

paulos53 wrote: »
    According to the schedule on his website Shane is only playing 2 of the next 6 weeks before the team is selected. He must be saving his energy for the bigger tournaments in September and October

I can't see him being picked based on good form when playing so little golf in the lead up to the wildcard selection so I see his only chance of making the team is do something special at the USPGA.

Is he likely to make the field for the USPGA?

I know that they use a money list starting from the week after last year's USPGA, but I can't find it anywhere online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

blackwhite wrote: »

I know that they use a money list starting from the week after last year's USPGA, but I can't find it anywhere online.

He's already in

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/news/2014-pga-championship-field?atrack=hp_top-story-list_2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Official web site has him at 59.

blackwhite wrote: »

As far as I know, the top 100 in the world rankings all get an invite. I'm not sure when the cut off date is, but Shane is comfortably inside the top 100, so he should definitely get into the PGA.

AGC wrote: »

I see Paul McGinley is also in the field and that Darren Clarke is listed as being English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I see Paul McGinley is also in the field and that Darren Clarke is listed as being English.

Ryder cup captains are invited to USPGA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think making the Ryder Cup team is a tall order, but he is now having a great season, and it's great to see. Well done Shane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

NO discussion of players nationalities!

As far as I know, the top 100 in the world rankings all get an invite. I'm not sure when the cut off date is, but Shane is comfortably inside the top 100, so he should definitely get into the PGA.

I had a look at the criteria for this year's tournament and it looks as if I was wrong about the top 100 being invited. I'm pretty sure that was the case at some stage, but it looks to have been changed.

The criteria now allow for a lot of invitations, but don't seem to be laid out all that specifically. Anyhow, it looks as if there will be six Irish players in the field this year, which may well be the most ever for the US PGA.

Anyhow, it looks as if there will be six Irish players in the field this year, which may well be the most ever for the US PGA.

Actually, the same six players were in the field last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

the more he plays and more importantly competes at the big events it will take his game up a notch to the next level. I have been very impressed with him in the last 5 weeks or so. even after the three holes in the open where he had two doubles and a bogey he didn't let it bother him.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

His temperament on Sunday is what struck me most. To have a finish like that on the biggest of stage was very impressive.

Going right back to his amateur win at the Irish Open, you can tell he won't be phased by occasions.

Jazzzman wrote: »
    His temperament on Sunday is what struck me most. To have a finish like that on the biggest of stage was very impressive.

Going right back to his amateur win at the Irish Open, you can tell he won't be phased by occasions.

Couldn't agree more, said the same about him after Wentworth.

There are some sportsmen that excel on the big occasions or when the pressure is on. I think Shane definitely has this in his DNA.
    I think it's much more than just coping with the pressure, most cope (compared to the few that crack) but I think he thrives on it, and that is a rare enough thing.

I think the last few months will be massive for him.
    I would still worry that the hectic schedule outside of the European leg of the Tour doesn't sit well with him. It's not easy for any of them to get the right balance but I think it's more of an issue with Shane's make up.
    It's refreshing to see how normal he is ...going to GAA matches, hanging with the lads etc seem to play a big part in things.... But I think it'll hold him back slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Just got this from club. Should be a good day.

Further to the recent email about the Srixon CSS competition.
    Any player, man , woman , junior who uses a Srixon Golf Ball in a competition and equals or betters their handicap CSS ( either nett or stable ford points) will automatically be entered into a draw to win. Players can use golf ball.. Zstar, ad333 tour, ad333, soft feel , ladies or distance to be eligible. Players report their scores to their Club professional (Raymie Burns) who keeps a list of the names eligible to win.
    Prize..... The winner will receive a signed tour bag ... Signed and presented by Shane Lowry
    Winners will be drawn on 21st July... Presentation will be at Lisheen Springs Golf Club on Wednesday 23rd July.

Shane Lowry Clinic , 23rd July 12-2 pm open for attendance to any members and or Professional staff of participating Clubs . Clinic to be held at Lisheen Springs golf Club. Shane will be there, show how he warms up, answer questions etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »
    Reportedly (but would like to know where, Indo) Shane was asked 3 times not to wear his green and orange socks, would like to know by whom?.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/shane-lowry-flies-flag-for-ireland-on-his-socks-30446731.html

So does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

So does anyone know?

from the lack of replies, it seems that nobody does or cares for that matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

charlieIRL wrote: »
    from the lack of replies, it seems that nobody does or cares for that matter!

I'm interested to know... I did a web search on the topic yesterday, but didn't find much.

I'd say the article is rubbish. I can't think of any reason why anyone would object to him wearing odd socks, other than on sartorial grounds. If the latter is true, then it's amazing that John Daly is let anywhere near a golf course.;)

Bump!

Atta lad Shane. Up to -3 now.
    If he finishes this week well, McGinley would be daft not to consider him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Wouldn't like his job tbh.

Shane looking and playing like he knows he belongs on the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Great round today. I'd love to see him paired with Rory at some stage over the weekend if both can maintain their good starts tomorrow.

I think his chances of a wild card are based on who makes the team. If both GMac and Donald get in automatically then he has a shot. Then it'll be Poulter plus two others and there's not many in better form than Lowry, particularly if he has another good finish in the PGA.

• Advertisement

SSK wrote: »
    Great round today. I'd love to see him paired with Rory at some stage over the weekend if both can maintain their good starts tomorrow.

I think his chances of a wild card are based on who makes the team. If both GMac and Donald get in automatically then he has a shot. Then it'll be Poulter plus two others and there's not many in better form than Lowry, particularly if he has another good finish in the PGA.

An in form Westwood would make Lowry a very remote possibility for a pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great from Shane yesterday - I didn't see much of the golf, but will from now on and hope to see some of Shane. He seems to have the nerves to handle the big events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

vienne86 wrote: »
    Great from Shane yesterday - I didn't see much of the golf, but will from now on and hope to see some of Shane. He seems to have the nerves to handle the big events.
    The showed very little of him (in fact it was just glimpses past Ryan Palmer) but towards the end of the round we saw a good bit more.

He seems in a good frame of mind and put in an excellent score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've asked based on form in recent weeks and been told that he won't get a pick. Not likely to be any rookies picked.

Oh and don't be surprised if you see the 2 macs teaming up together again. - you heard it here first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

stevieob wrote: »
    I've asked based on form in recent weeks and been told that he won't get a pick. Not likely to be any rookies picked.

Oh and don't be surprised if you see the 2 macs teaming up together again. - you heard it here first!

Unless Shane wins this week, that changes things for sure.......

You are obviously in a better position than me but from the outside the whole legal issues must be putting a serious strain on their relationship.

• Advertisement
Advertisement