Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Amazing golfer. Would love to see him do the biz this weekend. Very very solid all round, no real flaws in his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Frustrating final 12 holes for Shane today. 12 pars, but he should have been 3 or 4 shots better. Hopefully, he'll see a few putts drop tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I think going into the final round in second place will suit him. Puts pressure on luiten and lowry has made some good charges on the final day. I thought his game looked very sharp and he had the pace of the greens. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Delighted that Shane was under par yesterday, I bet that if you have offered him-3 for the round, he would have taken it. He only has one birdie for the 6 attempts at the 9th and 18th which is giving shots back to the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

searay wrote: »
    I think going into the final round in second place will suit him. Puts pressure on luiten and lowry has made some good charges on the final day. I thought his game looked very sharp and he had the pace of the greens. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

They were showing his average scoring stats for each day of tournaments played and his average Sunday score is around 68; well below his average for the other three days.

Might well have his best round today, although his 65 on Friday was pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Need to get 3 tvs, the soccer,the All Ireland and Shane winning the golf. What a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Pathetic crowds today. What a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Shane looking very nervous, tee shot off second is his third poor shot already.

Only one decent putt so far today. Lots of missed chances. Looks out of sorts, but a couple of good putts could turn things around. Fingers crossed....

Another short one missed on the 9th. His head must be wrecked at this stage. I know mine is.

• Advertisement

Sand again on 10, 6th time today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Putts just won't drop, I think that was the chance gone on 17.

He'll be fair frustrated to miss out by one after all the poor shots he hit today. Good weeks work though tied 2nd. Nice cheque and ranking pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Anyone know what his new ranking will be roughly

Steven81 wrote: »
    Anyone know what his new ranking will be roughly

56 or 57 id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

56 or 57 id say.

@vc606 on twitter has him up to 55.
    He's normally spot on.

PARlance wrote: »
    @vc606 on twitter has him up to 55.
    He's normally spot on.

Big push for end of year, the final series will decide if he gets a Christmas present from Augusta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Pathetic crowds today. What a shame.

Christ I was think that too when watching on thurs/fri thinking they would pick up for the weekend but they never did.

Piss poor turnout to be honest. The welsh are poor sport supporters if it isn't their international rugby team, they get terrible crowds for regional club games.

He'll be fair frustrated to miss out by one after all the poor shots he hit today. Good weeks work though tied 2nd. Nice cheque and ranking pts.

If he had failed to birdie the last, it would have been a bit of a disastrous day for him. As it was, that birdie on the 18th was worth an extra €103,765 in prize money and 7.60 additional world ranking points.

His driving was very erratic today, but his chipping and bunker play were exceptional. If he had had even a bit of luck with the putter, he would have won.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

€195k earnings, cha ching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Christ I was think that too when watching on thurs/fri thinking they would pick up for the weekend but they never did.

Piss poor turnout to be honest. The welsh are poor sport supporters if it isn't their international rugby team, they get terrible crowds for regional club games.

Did I hear them say the tournament is moving next year? No harm. Celtic Manor is the least attractive looking course I've seen host a big event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

slave1 wrote: »

His driving early on was poor and got him into trouble and he was bunkered at least 8 times. Other golfers would have ended up +4 or +5 but just like at the British PGA, he kept it going and ground out a great finish. I think we'll see more good finishes from him before the season ends.

slave1 wrote: »

There is a big difference between what his official result earns against what the tournament said would be the prizes, e.g. winner was projected to get €300,000 but Luiten got €375,000.
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2014/tournamentid=2014074/eventinfo/index.html

Massive putt for the birdie for Lowery on 18 that earned him easily €100,000. Up to 14th in R2D and breaks the €1 million earnings for the year (most of it since May).

There is a big difference between what his official result earns against what the tournament said would be the prizes, e.g. winner was projected to get €300,000 but Luiten got €375,000.
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2014/tournamentid=2014074/eventinfo/index.html

Massive putt for the birdie for Lowery on 18 that earned him easily €100,000. Up to 14th in R2D and breaks the €1 million earnings for the year (most of it since May).

The total prize fund was £1.8 million, with £300k to the winner. Whoever put up the prize money list on the Europeantour website forgot to convert from sterling to euros.

Actual value to Lowry of his birdie on the last was €103,765 as mentioned in my earlier post.

Confirmed in 55th in owgr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Confirmed in 55th in owgr.

Good season - it would be great to get into the top 50. I didn't see any of the play yesterday, but sounds like it might be worth looking at highlights.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Good season - it would be great to get into the top 50. I didn't see any of the play yesterday, but sounds like it might be worth looking at highlights.

It was frustrating viewing, driver cost him the win. 7 bunkers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

yea I thought he really let this one slip especially when Luiten was struggling at the start, taught this was his chance to put some pressure on! but second is nothing to be laughed at. One good put at the start would of got him going, on a side note his short game is quality!

It was frustrating viewing, driver cost him the win. 7 bunkers!!!

Totally agree, not hands in front of face stuff but he just never got going. He should have birdied 9th and on 18, with Luiten way right, he only found the semi rough on the left (after a lucky bounce). That ruled out getting to the back of the green with a chance of an eagle putt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Broke the million pound mark for season earnings yesterday too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I was at this event a couple of years ago on the Sunday and the crowds were very good but watching back they looked so sparse.

It looked the same yesterday, if you saw an overhead shot you would see that it is decent crowds, the whole place is so open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Doing the biz again so far
    Who is he playing with ?

soundsham wrote: »
    Doing the biz again so far
    Who is he playing with ?

Thought he was playing with Brian O'Driscoll, but I might be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

vienne86 wrote: »
    Thought he was playing with Brian O'Driscoll, but I might be wrong.

Think he only played in a practice round with him. Playing with one of the McManus I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Gerry McManus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Think he only played in a practice round with him. Playing with one of the McManus I think.

Yupp Gerry McManus, currently -11 in Pro AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Did anyone see J Ruperts second to a par 4 today with a wood? Blocked it straight low right into a gorse bush. Fair enough, I can easily do that myself, but his perplexed look afterwards was class! A real Westwood moment after he's missed one of those putts...." how the hell did that happen to me?".

Even the auld fellas are watching too much Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭big_drive

Lowry's putter was cold enough today. will be disappointed with that final bogey

Another good finish today, although he will be disappointed not to have birdied the 18th, particularly after being one of very few to birdie the 17th today. Moves him up to 12th in the Race to Dubai and I think it moves him up to 53rd in the World rankings, just marginally behind Mikko Ilonen in 52nd.

Yip looks like he's up to 53rd.

Big year ahead of him next year, I'd be very keen to see what he does in terms of his schedule, and in particular, how much he plans to play in the US.
    I would be inclined to say he should play the least amount possible over there, limiting it to short bursts before the Majors (if applicable).

• Advertisement

I think he is now ready to look at moving into the elite level but it is not an incremental progression. He has shown he has the talent and the temperament at a certain level but he has yet to be tested in real pressure situations against the best.
    I'm happy to see he is looking increasingly serious - especially off the course. I know it is a crude indicator but a reduction of another 3-4 dress sizes would be a great start.

First Up wrote: »
    I think he is now ready to look at moving into the elite level but it is not an incremental progression. He has shown he has the talent and the temperament at a certain level but he has yet to be tested in real pressure situations against the best.
    I'm happy to see he is looking increasingly serious - especially off the course. I know it is a crude indicator but a reduction of another 3-4 dress sizes would be a great start.

I think 3-4 is a bit extreme, but maybe 1-2 might be helpful. But would it change the dynamic of his swing and would the pressure of getting down to that weight affect the way that he approaches the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

First Up wrote: »
    I know it is a crude indicator but a reduction of another 3-4 dress sizes would be a great start.

Today's modern golf clubs don't know he's needs to reduce a dress size.

abff wrote: »
    I think 3-4 is a bit extreme, but maybe 1-2 might be helpful. But would it change the dynamic of his swing and would the pressure of getting down to that weight affect the way that he approaches the game?

I see a slimmer Shane being a consequence of a more disciplined approach rather than an end in itself. He has enough talent and seems to have enough of the right temprament. He has impressed me this year but it's my guess that if we are to see him at the next level, he isn't going to have the body shape he has today.

Dealerz wrote: »
    Today's modern golf clubs don't know he's needs to reduce a dress size.

Rory lost a lot of inches and it doesn't seem to be causing him any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

GreeBo wrote: »

That's exactly my point, why state he needs to drop a dress size to be a better golfer, once he's swinging well, who cares.

GreeBo wrote: »

How exactly is Rory or his weight relevant to this?

I don't know anyone who would claim that Rory was carrying a lot of extra weight at any time since turning pro. If anything he has bulked up and probably gained a few inches.

He carried extra weight during his teenage years but he was still dominating the amateur world.

So alluding to the fact that Rory losing inches has somewhat improved his game is way off the mark. And comparing it to Shane likewise.

Patrick Reed was arguable the US's best players at the Ryder Cup, had a fantastic 2014, and is a similar build to Shane. He's playing at a level above Shane. It certainly isn't nessecary to be slim to win or slim to move up to another level for Shane.

And any additional weight being carried is not the main issue, as First Up (who brought up this) points out that it would/could probably be as a result of a more focused Shane. Something which Shane has seemed to address as the year has gone on.

Focus is the key for Shane.

I think it just goes against the grain to see any sportsperson overweight, but if Shane is playing well and is fit, I am happy enough to watch him whatever his weight.

Dealerz wrote: »
    That's exactly my point, why state he needs to drop a dress size to be a better golfer, once he's swinging well, who cares.
    So then why are modern golfers typically spending hours in the gym trying to look like Rory & Tiger?
    How exactly is Rory or his weight relevant to this?
    Because its an example of the best player in the world losing weight and improving his game.
    I don't know anyone who would claim that Rory was carrying a lot of extra weight at any time since turning pro. If anything he has bulked up and probably gained a few inches.

He carried extra weight during his teenage years but he was still dominating the amateur world.

So alluding to the fact that Rory losing inches has somewhat improved his game is way off the mark. And comparing it to Shane likewise.
    Yes and he has since lost weight, toned up and is now the best player in the world. Do you think the changes in his fitness & power have no bearing his world '1 status?

Patrick Reed was arguable the US's best players at the Ryder Cup, had a fantastic 2014, and is a similar build to Shane. He's playing at a level above Shane. It certainly isn't nessecary to be slim to win or slim to move up to another level for Shane.
    Reed is at least 10KG lighter than Shane (according to wikipedia)
    Also I think its pretty much accepted around the world that you dont aim for either of their body types, you will always have outliers like Daly, its doesnt make it ok or good for your game.

And any additional weight being carried is not the main issue, as First Up (who brought up this) points out that it would/could probably be as a result of a more focused Shane. Something which Shane has seemed to address as the year has gone on.

Focus is the key for Shane.

Being fitter and stronger can only help his game, I dont know why you continue to refute this when the rest of the world agrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Once a bully - always a bully.

Seen it in school .

I think there should be a rule on here about talking about a golfers weight - you can't even talk about gambling. Yet you can give Ireland's leading pro stick over his weight.

Maybe - Shane is a so called outlier - Like Ian Woosnam - I bet Ian - had to hear you are too short, all his life - **** them anyway Ian - as he stuck on a green jacket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement