Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Very shaky start today. Two bogeys in the first three holes and a near impossible bunker shot to come on the 4th.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I never rate that win over Rory, Rory played brutal that day and it took two chip ins to beat him, this was the beginning of Rory's horrible stretch.
    Anyhow, Shane's demeanor looks deflated today, lot of shrugging and poor ball striking...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Some round from Cabrera-Bello, a 64 with four 5's on the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think beating him as the up to now underdog - is way easier than - trying to play on a level par with someone.

Behind it all - I think Shane's jokey - friendly approach hides a nervousnesses.

I think it will have to go - and will go with time when he is in the big time. This is very soon.

Rory is/ is going to be the new Tiger Woods - very few people ever like playing with them.

Either way - very poor start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ropey enough start from Shane with a couple of bogeys in the first 3, at least he got the birdie on the par 5.

And another gone on the 4th, hasn't settled at all I'm afraid. Back in the pack now.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

is he playing with mcilroy, cant see this today as in work. id like to now how he holds up in a champagne group.
    top 50 beckons if he can pull off a top ten this week

is he playing with mcilroy, cant see this today as in work. id like to now how he holds up in a champagne group.
    top 50 beckons if he can pull off a top ten this week

He is playing with McIlroy - Bogey, Birdie, Bogey, Bogey start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And another gone on the 4th, hasn't settled at all I'm afraid. Back in the pack now.

Shocking start. Really needs to get into his round. He is getting passed by lots of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It seems to be a birdie fest out there....except for Shane. He seemed fussed after that bunker shot on the fourth. Just hope he settles.

• Advertisement

Great tee shot from Shane on the 6th, nice 6 iron...now convert!

They're just not runnng for Shane today. But hopefully that tee shot will give him confidence......uh oh, pulled left with tee shot on the 7th....one of those days.

I know we can look too deeply into these things - but hey, we are golf fans / sport fans.

Shane's crowd are fairly vocal - sure I'd be a "come on Shane".

Earlier on - there was a "come on Shane from a lad that clearly knew him". The difference with Shane , Shane waved to him. Nice to see.

But you just don't see that with most top sport people.

One day they show every shot by Shane - having a shocker.

"Come on Shane" . :D

This group jinxed today - did you see that shocker from Rory? I hope Shane can just survive this and remember that there is a lot more golf to play. Still on the green in 3, after taking a circuitous route.

vienne86 wrote: »
    This group jinxed today - did you see that shocker from Rory? I hope Shane can just survive this and remember that there is a lot more golf to play. Still on the green in 3, after taking a circuitous route.

Needs to hang on in there. Get a few pars on the card and try get yourself back to 6 under by the 18th.

I know we can look too deeply into these things - but hey, we are golf fans / sport fans.

Shane's crowd are fairly vocal - sure I'd be a "come on Shane".

Earlier on - there was a "come on Shane from a lad that clearly knew him". The difference with Shane , Shane waved to him. Nice to see.

But you just don't see that with most top sport people.

Yes, heard that too, there's a group of local lads here who go to the Portugal Masters and Dubai to cheer him on...

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes, heard that too, there's a group of local lads here who go to the Portugal Masters and Dubai to cheer him on...

It happened there again - good shot , big roar.

That is fine, great to see , but Shane is waving at them there.

I'm being a bit Roy Keane here, but he could do without that - or at least ignore them - sorry.

It happened there again - good shot , big roar.

That is fine, great to see , but Shane is waving at them there.

I'm being a bit Roy Keane here, but he could do without that - or at least ignore them - sorry.

I agree. Seems to have steadied the ship there with a few pars on what seems to be a difficult part of the course.

• Advertisement

I guess we are seeing a bit more of what goes on with Shane - nice to see every shot.

Even nice to see him grit this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Nice birdie at the 9th.

Lovely birdie putt. Well done lad! Big Irish flag in the crowd.....not sure we need that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I think we need to be patient with Shane - the top 50 may not happen overnight - but patience is the key.

I think its a case for him of simply focusing on each hole, each round - each event.

If he does that - the top 50 situation will sort itself out in time

Lovely birdie putt. Well done lad! Big Irish flag in the crowd.....not sure we need that.

I wouldn't go that far - I like supporters /fans - but there is a difference between random people and family and the lads from the pub / GAA club.

Even the stuff they say to him at say tee box or walking, have more of an impact of taking you outside your golf game. You can see him look at them after most shots.

It is funny - you don't see a load of Danes walking along the side - shouting as if they know Olsen :D

Like this

danish-women.gif

"Come on Shane"

• Advertisement

Hole in 1 on 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!

Any prize for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Get in there!!! Ace for Shane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Boom baby !!! -7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

Looked like he was about to shed a happy tear, well done Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Just got a hole in 1. Good man shane.

He has worked hard to hang in there today. Fair bloody play to him. Delighted for him getting that ace! Back in business.

What a shot :) deserved it for hanging in there. Just goes to show you just can't give up on a round if things aren't going your way.

:):):):):):):):):):) :)

Hole in 1 on 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!

Any prize for that?

No the prize is on the 17th.

I'd say he could be running up quite a large bar tab later on with his fellow players and all those people supporting him.

Play very slow, which might suit Shane well enough.....mind you that tee shot isn't great. I feel sorry for Rory - he's a quick player and won't like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Brilliant hole in one. Back on track.

dcrosskid wrote: »

Thanks for that, took a break from watching it and what fookin happens! Typical for me :confused:

• Advertisement

That was a gritty par 5 on the 14th for Shane after a poor drive. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hole in one....you legend!!

He's playing nicely now - nice drive and approach to the 15th. But look at the little pitch Rory had after a fabulous drive. They both seem to have picked up their game and will hopefully get encouragement from each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

HA The head on him after it! great stuff...

Lovely birdie putt on 16 for Shane, only just stayed out....and then Rory three putts. Bizarre day for these two.

Superb tee shot on 17, deffo birdie, has to be...

slave1 wrote: »
    Superb tee shot on 17, deffo birdie, has to be...

Missed it. Ah Shane. Keep calm.

can't believe he missed that, very disappointing after Rory holing his from much further away

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Really poor putt. Never looked like going in the minute it left the putter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Should have been a 2 on 17 after that tee shot.

So long as its not wet on 18, he should be happy with the round considering the start he had.

Advertisement