Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah, disgusted, at that level you simply HAVE to take advantage of excellent iron approaches and make those short putts, surely his head is wrecked on on the 18th tee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

slave1 wrote: »
    Ah, disgusted, at that level you simply HAVE to take advantage of excellent iron approaches and make those short putts, surely his head is wrecked on on the 18th tee

By the looks of his tee shot, it is.

Awful tee shots from both him and Rory.

I'm hoping these two won't be paired tomorrow, even though it gives us guaranteed TV coverage of Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

I doubt its because they are paired together that they're not playing well!

benny79 wrote: »
    I doubt its because they are paired together that they're not playing well!

I hear you but when you're friends I think there's a level of feeding off each other, it happens to us on outings the whole time where groups tend to win gluts of prizes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Birdie to finish please Shane.

• Advertisement

Okay, another easy putt on 18, make this ya boll1x!

Shane, you'll have to putt better than that to get into the top 50. Disappointing putting on the last two holes.

Ah, FFS :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Poor finish on 17 and 18th. Considering all that happened today, the cold putter let him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Fantastic to see such talented putter on here.

Putting is hard.

Putting on greens that quick, under that pressure is hard.

Putting in those circumstances after missing one or two is bloody hard.

Its only halfway, Shane is still in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Awful putting on last 2 greens. In saying that, I think he will be quiet pleased with his score considering his start and plenty of poor swings he made.

Let's hope this is his bad round out of the way and he produces the goods over the weekend.

Well whether it's good or bad, Shane and Rory won't be playing together tomorrow. I'm just as glad. Looks like Shane might be with David Howell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

vienne86 wrote: »
    Shane, you'll have to putt better than that to get into the top 50. Disappointing putting on the last two holes.

Last I read he was at 52 - just two places off the top 50 - so he has to be getting pretty close.

Time to stay calm - focus - look to continue to improve - give it time - and it will come.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Last I read he was at 52 - just two places off the top 50 - so he has to be getting pretty close.

Time to stay calm - focus - look to continue to improve - give it time - and it will come.
    I know it isn't possible to forecast what will happen this weekend, but what does he realistically need to do at this tournament to get into the top 50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I know it isn't possible to forecast what will happen this weekend, but what does he realistically need to do at this tournament to get into the top 50?

Did I hear top 12 maybe enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I never heard so much rubbish about lads playing together or not playing together.

Who did they play with in the last round in Wentworth when they were 1st & 2nd?

It's the 2nd round of the tournament and they are most definitely playing the course, and both doing well IMO. Let the tournament develop and don't be making rash calls after a bad hole or even shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

golfwallah wrote: »

Won't tire of watching that for a long time. Just brilliant, and gave his round a badly needed lift just when it was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Real pity for Shane with his missed putts on the 17th and 18th, he had the hard work done.

Putt for dough...

• Advertisement

Putt for dough...

Hole in one for show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Letree wrote: »
    Real pity for Shane with his missed putts on the 17th and 18th, he had the hard work done.

Yes, it's a pity he missed them. But it would have been far worse if they were both par putts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Shane is plsying great the last few weeks. He's a credit to himself and to Ireland. So he missed a couple of putts, big deal. Hes class, he's playing class and we all should be behind him 100%. Not picking apart his few failings at every available opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Putt for dough...

Shane averages 28.99 putts per round
    Rory averages 29.11 putts per round

Oh he's putting for dough alright!

I really hope Shane moves into the top 50 and then onto the top 20. We need someone we can get behind in Ireland. Its nice to cheer on Rory and Graham but someone from the South would be good too. Unfortunately Harrington seems to be on the wane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Rikand wrote: »

I'd say that's a result of his incredible short game rather than putting prowess.

Edit: Both 1.73 per GIR for 2014 in Euro events. Not so bad.

Shane is a great putter. That's why we get so disappointed when he occasionally misses some. Hopefully missed putts are behind him for this tournament. To be fair, he hung in well and a day when things weren't going very well for him. The tournament is only half done and he is in the mix. C'mon Shane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Shane is a great putter. That's why we get so disappointed when he occasionally misses some. Hopefully missed putts are behind him for this tournament. To be fair, he hung in well and a day when things weren't going very well for him. The tournament is only half done and he is in the mix. C'mon Shane!

Agreed he's a very good putter but I think (& hope) he can get better.
    He obviously had a few issues this year... I think it was just before The Open that he decided to go back to his old putter, the one he used in his junior days afaik. So that to me would suggest that there was some trouble this year but also leads me to believe that there's more potential for improvement.

Actually, it was just before Wentworth

http://www.golfbytourmiss.com/2014/05/shane-lowry-brushes-cobwebs-off-old-putter/

"I have been messing around here and there with putters"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Shane is plsying great the last few weeks. He's a credit to himself and to Ireland. So he missed a couple of putts, big deal. Hes class, he's playing class and we all should be behind him 100%. Not picking apart his few failings at every available opportunity.

Completely agree.

I think that the 4 round, no cut tournaments are proving a challenge for him as by starting well both this week and last week, he is in the spotlight more. In the past he has been close to the cut line and then moved up the field with strong rounds Saturday and Sunday.

He looked to be putting a lot of pressure on himself today so I hope he can relax for the next 2 days and trust his game. I'll be routing for him!

Betterr start from Shane today -1 after 5. Good man. Pity we're not seeing him on tv, but if that helps him relax, I'll be happy to watch othes today.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I never heard so much rubbish about lads playing together or not playing together.

Who did they play with in the last round in Wentworth when they were 1st & 2nd?

It's the 2nd round of the tournament and they are most definitely playing the course, and both doing well IMO. Let the tournament develop and don't be making rash calls after a bad hole or even shot.
    You are probably right, but I do think playing with Rory (or Tiger) does turn on the heat for the playing partner. Richie Ramsay not going so well today, playing with Rory. It must be soul destroying to be so far behind Rory on every tee shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You are probably right, but I do think playing with Rory (or Tiger) does turn on the heat for the playing partner. Richie Ramsay not going so well today, playing with Rory. It must be soul destroying to be so far behind Rory on every tee shot.

Yeah, you could probably live with being 20-30 yards behind him, but 50??? :eek:

rrpc wrote: »
    Yeah, you could probably live with being 20-30 yards behind him, but 50??? :eek:

That, and all the razz-ma-tazz that goes with playing with the world number 1 must be difficult.

Shane back to -1 for today......but wait, they have actually shown his approach on the 11th. Lovely shot. C'mon lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Your dead right and we are right.

Rory will grow and is growing to be that character. Same in every sport - the top guy actually intimidates the others - doesn't even have to try.

Anybody who says any different - basically hasn't watched golf for what, last 20 years - when Tiger was on top.

People would say - well he is playing with Tiger - he is gone. They said it because it did happen.

A few guys will love it and raise to it - but a very odd guy.

Mark Roe - just said it there.

a) they said length
    b) Iron height - strong game

• Advertisement

He's just got a 6 on the par 5 14h, so he's clealy out of sorts today and is going backwards. Still opportunities to save his round.

Your dead right and we are right.

Rory will grow and is growing to be that character. Same in every sport - the top guy actually intimidates the others - doesn't even have to try.

Anybody who says any different - basically hasn't watched golf for what, last 20 years - when Tiger was on top.

People would say - well he is playing with Tiger - he is gone. They said it because it did happen.

A few guys will love it and raise to it - but a very odd guy.

Mark Roe - just said it there.

a) they said length
    b) Iron height - strong game

I think Rory has just shown over the last 2 holes that he's nowhere near the same league of intimidation as Tiger was in his prime.
    Not just those last 2 holes of course, he regularly has temporary blips that you just never expected from Tiger. When Tiger was leading after rd 2,3 it just never looked like he would be beaten.
    With Rory you feel that he might let the field back into it imo. The shoulders are never too far away from dropping.

His good golf is far better than Tigers was bit he's nowhere near the competitor that Tiger was. I don't see Rory ever getting near to Tigers level of intimidation... But I don't see anyone ever repeating that. He was a freak.

Bogey on the last for Shane, so level par round. Disappointing, but not disastrous. Hanging in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Sixes on both par fives in the back nine. Needs a good round tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

PARlance wrote: »
    I think Rory has just shown over the last 2 holes that he's nowhere near the same league of intimidation as Tiger was in his prime.
    Not just those last 2 holes of course, he regularly has temporary blips that you just never expected from Tiger. When Tiger was leading after rd 2,3 it just never looked like he would be beaten.
    With Rory you feel that he might let the field back into it imo. The shoulders are never too far away from dropping.

His good golf is far better than Tigers was bit he's nowhere near the competitor that Tiger was. I don't see Rory ever getting near to Tigers level of intimidation... But I don't see anyone ever repeating that. He was a freak.

Agree - and I always had my doubts about Rory - the way he gets emotional about it.

But - he is growing all the time - where will this stop.

He was a new man this years - versus last year.

Will he push on again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Great start -3 for first 7 holes
    Hopefully can add another couple on
    To top off another fantastic season and move on up to the top 50
    Come on Shane !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Turns in -2, remains where he started in tied 13th.

On -10 again - great stuff. I would just love him to finish in the top 10. After the start he had to the season, I did not expect to be saying this right now - his last two rounds were disappointing, but no huge disasters. Sign of a good player when he can stay in touch when he is playing badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Gone to -11 now playing the par 5 14th. If he can get another birdie and par in id say top 10 would be a cert. Unless someone on -9 has a crazy back 9 and Shane stays on -11 or -12 he'll be top 10. Great show of character to come back today and play like this 6 more holes and he could turn a good season into a great season for himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Birdie the 2 par 5's would do it if he pars the rest
    That 13 th has been good to him this week -4 for the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Still quite bunched up score wise around him. -12 after 15 but plenty a couple behind him with more holes to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Great stuff from shane on the back 9 so far. He has a chance to set a good clubhouse lead now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Been watching this for the best part of hour and a half and still haven't seen Shane. Then to add insult to injury Sky show Oosthuizen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

MikeSD wrote: »
    Been watching this for the best part of hour and a half and still haven't seen Shane. Then to add insult to injury Sky show Oosthuizen.

It's really annoying alright. They're showing all the lads at 12 under now. I don't buy into a lot of the TV paranoia stuff but there has to be something in this. Disappointing.

Anyway come on Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Maybe its better if they dont show him he is jinxed when on tv :) That was a poor putt on 17

• Advertisement
Advertisement