Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

coylemj wrote: »
    Horizon Sports (on Twitter) forecasting it will put him inside the top 40.

Latest from a rankings guy I follow on Twitter says win puts Lowry #40. Hopefully it's true, great achievement. You'd have to think there's still quite a lot more in him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Latest from a rankings guy I follow on Twitter says win puts Lowry #40. Hopefully it's true, great achievement. You'd have to think there's still quite a lot more in him too.

@VC606 has him at 40 too.
    Tiger down to 62!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nice payday - ESPN says he got $189,788 for T7 which equates to roughly €168K.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

:)
    PARlance wrote: »
    Poor fella will have to pay most of it in tax anyway :)
    :(

OWGR
    IRL
    Shane Lowry
    World Number 40

Who hoo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

That should cover his water charges for the year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

slave1 wrote: »
    OWGR
    IRL
    Shane Lowry
    World Number 40

Who hoo!!

Now doesn't it look well there on the list this morning.....little Irish flag righ up there. Well done Shane. We had a great time here following you last night! So more again this week at Pebble Beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

very impressed by lowry this week. I didn't expect to see him compete the weekend after day one, but he rallied really well. bodes well for the year. sniff of a major at the open!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

The encouraging thing is that he's steadily improving at a consistent pace, has been for a couple of years now. No reason to believe he won't continue. Great to have someone to cheer for at the Masters!

• Advertisement

Wouldn't a RC next year be perfect

B9XD6TKIMAM8XfA.jpg

newport2 wrote: »
    The encouraging thing is that he's steadily improving at a consistent pace, has been for a couple of years now. No reason to believe he won't continue. Great to have someone to cheer for at the Masters!

Yes, Sky referred to that and put up his ranking for the last four years last night. We can be very proud of this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

Shane is paired with Harrington for 1st round ,playing at 8 a.m. on the Peble beach course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Maths1 wrote: »
    Shane is paired with Harrington for 1st round ,playing at 8 a.m. on the Peble beach course

The Golf forum will explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

PARlance wrote: »
    The Golf forum will explode.

Merge Lowry and Harrington threads for thursday and friday please!

Then back to lowry thread (because I fear he will be alone in the cut making...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

gman127 wrote: »

Then back to lowry thread (because I fear he will be alone in the cut making...)

Don't forget Saturday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Is Harrington playing as an amateur? :D

This should be fun! Hope they get some TV time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

gman127 wrote: »

Or just stick to the "Epic (maybe a Mod can remove that) PGA Tour Thread"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

HighLine wrote: »
    Or just stick to the "Epic (maybe a Mod can remove that) PGA Tour Thread"

Not very observant lately are you?!!:P:)

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Not very observant lately are you?!!:P:)

:D:D On the ball lads, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Leaderboard looking good at the moment ;) ....Wouldn't it be great if this was the story Sunday night

sgn4hc.png

Nice round of 69 for Shane. He and Desmond are third in the pro-am. Nice day's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

3 under through 13 brings him to 6 under, 3 consecutive birdies

Slow start from Shane, but going nicely now. -3, with just one bogey. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

-7 at the finish. Great start to the year for Shane.

Panrich wrote: »
    -7 at the finish. Great start to the year for Shane.

Tied 27th - he seems to like playing the PGA tour. Great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

vienne86 wrote: »
    Tied 27th - he seems to like playing the PGA tour. Great performance.

Great stuff from Shane

mafc wrote: »
    Great stuff from Shane

It's great too when you consider what a slow start he had last season. I'm thinking America suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Good start for Shane, up to 17th on -9 after 8 holes.

• Advertisement

Flying it. -11 after 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Great stuff. No sight of him but not a lot of golf been shown as they milk the "celebreties" as much as possible. Tomorrow should be better.

Most impressive

Another great round from Shane - brilliant!

First Up wrote: »
    Great stuff. No sight of him but not a lot of golf been shown as they milk the "celebreties" as much as possible. Tomorrow should be better.

He's playing Spyglass. All tv coverage is from Pebble Beach.

And birdies the last to finish -12. Hoping for a good Sunday drive up the leaderboard!

maudgone wrote: »
    He's playing Spyglass. All tv coverage is from Pebble Beach.

Its an awful tournament to watch, at least until the Sunday. Even if he was at Pebble today he couldn't compete with Bill Murray or whoever elsr CBS is plugging.

HighLine wrote: »
    And birdies the last to finish -12. Hoping for a good Sunday drive up the leaderboard!

He has progressed every day. Now tied 9th. Brilliant to have someone to shout for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Can't wait for tomorrow night. Can in the fridge already.

• Advertisement

And now surely we will get to see him play tomorrow.....mind you, if he slips below the TV radaar, I don't care if he plays well. At least we'll have the shot tracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

This guy has become my favourite player in recent times, really put that stigma of him being a one hit wonder well back down the naysayers throats. Constantly improving week on week and a top 5 is well withing reach tomorrow. Nice to have an Irish player with a likeability factor for a change! C'mon Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

<Mod edit>

No betting posts please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

mr.jingle wrote: »
    This guy has become my favourite player in recent times, really put that stigma of him being a one hit wonder well back down the naysayers throats. Constantly improving week on week and a top 5 is well withing reach tomorrow. Nice to have an Irish player with a likeability factor for a change! C'mon Shane

That's harsh. I'm not sure what's unlikable about Harrington, McDowell and McIlroy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

That's harsh. I'm not sure what's unlikable about Harrington, McDowell and McIlroy.

Not knocking any of their achievements, wonderful golfers all of them and maybe its just a personal opinion because I never took to the other 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Out with Jordan speith today. Hopefully Some Coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

The lad is a top class golfer. Hope he goes well 2nite. I won't be watching, last nites coverage nearly ended with a broken tv it was so bad. Similar last week, the us golf tv is atrocious

The lad is a top class golfer. Hope he goes well 2nite. I won't be watching, last nites coverage nearly ended with a broken tv it was so bad. Similar last week, the us golf tv is atrocious

Pebble Beach marks a new low in tv coverage every year. Only thing is the Sunday is usually a bit better, with most of the soap stars, comedians and captains of industry off the scene.

But last night was excruciatingly awful.

First Up wrote: »
    Pebble Beach marks a new low in tv coverage every year. Only thing is the Sunday is usually a bit better, with most of the soap stars, comedians and captains of industry off the scene.

But last night was excruciatingly awful.

I actually turned off last night, it was so awful. Last day is usually respectable, so really looking forward to tonight.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I actually turned off last night, it was so awful. Last day is usually respectable, so really looking forward to tonight.

Playing witb Speith should help but Lowry will need to get into contention if we are to see much of him. Furyk will get the lion's share but coverage starts at 6 so if he starts well...

It will be interesting to see how he shapes up against Speith who is one of the real rising stars.

Unless he's contending I doubt we'll see anything, brutal coverage from CBS

• Advertisement
Advertisement