Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FMCB or Swapmagic for PS2?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Which one is easier to use and less hassle? I know with swapmagic you have to keep switching discs, which seems kind of annoying. What about FMCB? What is involved in loading a game with it? Is it as tedious as swapmagic? Which one would you recommend getting? If I decide to get FMCB, I don't plan on putting it on the memory card myself, so that side of things won't play a part in my decison. I think FMCB would work out cheaper even with someone else doing the memory card for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Which one is easier to use and less hassle? I know with swapmagic you have to keep switching discs, which seems kind of annoying. What about FMCB? What is involved in loading a game with it? Is it as tedious as swapmagic? Which one would you recommend getting? If I decide to get FMCB, I don't plan on putting it on the memory card myself, so that side of things won't play a part in my decison. I think FMCB would work out cheaper even with someone else doing the memory card for me.

FreeMcBoot is better if you go down the Hard-drive + ethernet adaptor route. That way you can install and play games from HD with much less loading times. The thing is, you will need something like Swapmagic in order to install freeMcBoot in the first place!!

I personally dont use disks since my laser is busted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

animaX wrote: »
    FreeMcBoot is better if you go down the Hard-drive + ethernet adaptor route. That way you can install and play games from HD with much less loading times. The thing is, you will need something like Swapmagic in order to install freeMcBoot in the first place!!

I personally dont use disks since my laser is busted

Id recommend fmcb too based on the hard drive point above. Its quite easy to install yourself if your any "good with computers" :D Instead of swapmagic, 007-Agent Under Fire can be used, cost me 3 Euro on the bay of fleas.

EnterNow wrote: »
    007-Agent Under Fire can be used

Huh, didn't know that had an exploit. Do you have a link for info?

My memory is a little fuzzy of doing this, but you have to play the game to the 2nd level and save it. You then rip the game and replace a boot file with the freemcboot trigger file and burn to dvd. Then boot the original game, swap out the original with the modified one at the main menu (the swap tool is very easy to make), then load your save game. The rest as they say is history.

Linkage - http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/swap.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

I don't think I'll be installing a Hard drive in the future. Does anyone know a reliable UK based site where I can get Swapmagic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

these are spanish, but delivery is mega quick, if you ordered tonight you would prob get it on thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

The thing is, you will need something like Swapmagic in order to install freeMcBoot in the first place!!

Could I just send a memory card away to someone, have them mod it and then just install it myself and avoid having to buy swapmagic? I've read the guide on Free McBoot and it seems fairly easy, even someone like me could install it :o . I think I might just do it myself so. Now, where to buy a cheap usb schticky.

That Spanish site is a bit more expensive than this one I found. Playstation direct is a reliable site?

I bought one here a few months ago.

Could I just send a memory card away to someone, have them mod it and then just install it myself and avoid having to buy swapmagic?QUOTE]

Seriously, use the 007 method. I know from personal experience it works. Its much cheaper than buying a swap magic, and at the end of it you have another game.

Its VERY easy to do, and Ill guide you through it if you need help. The game goes for next to nothing on ebay. When you have fmcb installed, your swap magic will be null & void anyway.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Seriously, use the 007 method. I know from personal experience it works. Its much cheaper than buying a swap magic, and at the end of it you have another game.

Its VERY easy to do, and Ill guide you through it if you need help. The game goes for next to nothing on ebay. When you have fmcb installed, your swap magic will be null & void anyway.

I agree with swap magic not being needed much afterwards but I don't know if I agree with the game exploit method being easier. You have to buy the game, play it a bit, rip it, modify the iso and rebuild, burn the iso, play the game and somehow swap the spinning disk and then trigger the launching of the elf.

All this as opposed to buying swapmagic, inserting into ps2 and automatically triggering the launching of the elf from a usb stick.

Added bonus: swapmagic can also be used to load ps2 backups on 60gig ps3 models in the same manner

• Advertisement

I agree with swap magic not being needed much afterwards but I don't know if I agree with the game exploit method being easier. You have to buy the game, play it a bit, rip it, modify the iso and rebuild, burn the iso, play the game and somehow swap the spinning disk and then trigger the launching of the elf.

All this as opposed to buying swapmagic, inserting into ps2 and automatically triggering the launching of the elf from a usb stick.

Added bonus: swapmagic can also be used to load ps2 backups on 60gig ps3 models in the same manner

True, but for under a fiver its well worth it imo.

Buy the game - as easy as it gets
    Play it a bit - as easy as it gets
    Rip it - click one or two buttons, very easy
    Modify the iso and rebuild - you open up the iso, delete a file from it, import another one and click a button, again very easy
    Burn the iso - very easy.
    Play the game - as above.
    Swap the spinning disc - I made a tool from an obsolete bank card using a scissors, what more could you want?
    Trigger the elf - simply load your save game.

While I can understand people buying swap magic to do this, for me this is what console modding is all about. Getting in getting your hands dirty, learning new things, step by step all the way. I get much more satisfaction from the likes of this, rather than mainstream solutions. Simply put - dont be afraid, people can make it sound long & tedious, its actually far from it.

Advertisement