Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on music! Im torn!!

Options
  • 06-12-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hey
    So, im in a dilemma
    I just did my xmas exam in music and have SOOOO failed it.
    Our teacher is terrible. I dont understand composition etc
    Im wondering should I drop music? Its one of my higher levels though. making up my 6 honours :mad:
    So im torn
    My guidance councillor said its easy to get an A in music but im not convinced.
    I dont play an instrument either.
    I had planned to sing but I get very nervous.
    Should I drop it????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Music can be a hndy subject to have whether you are a musical person or not. The listening test is fairly straight forward, and once you get your head around the compostion it is fairly straight forward, mostly maths based and once you follow a few simple rules and that it shouldnt be a problem.

In terms of confidence with your singing its something you have time to build up confidence with, because thats what they are looking for, confidence in yourself. With instruments you are not required to bring sheet music, mainly because they are testing how comfortable you are with the instrument rather than the complexity and accuracy of what you play.

So i say stick with it, pick some songs you enjoy and practise and if possible practise in front of people to get your confidence up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

NightOwl91 wrote: »
    Hey
    So, im in a dilemma
    I just did my xmas exam in music and have SOOOO failed it.
    Our teacher is terrible. I dont understand composition etc
    Im wondering should I drop music? Its one of my higher levels though. making up my 6 honours :mad:
    So im torn
    My guidance councillor said its easy to get an A in music but im not convinced.
    I dont play an instrument either.
    I had planned to sing but I get very nervous.
    Should I drop it????:confused:

Dropping it would be a bad idea. That means you'll definitely get 0 points!

What I would do would get one of the revision books. The one I had was very good, I can't remember what the name was, but it was black.... :o sorry cant be more helpful than that.
    The book pretty much tells you everything you need to know about the compositions, and also the set works.
    Of course, you could also get grinds.

Regarding your practical, you just need to practice loads. Practice enough so you stop being nervous. Confidence is everything! Maybe try singing for your family or your friends? Playing for my family helped me heaps last year.

Hopefully that helps you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Hi, Honestly it would be a terrible idea to drop music! I did it last year and was worried before the exam as my listening and composing were no where near up to scratch. I concentrated on getting a good practical first, got singing lessons for about 3 months before the practical and they really paid off, pretty sure i got very close to the 50% for practical, when you have that onboard you realistically only need a D on the paper to even get a B3.
    Music will generally come after all the main subjects and you should have a lot of time to study it in the week leading up to the exam to get your listening and composing up to an acceptable level. My composing was my worst aspect so I worked on just being able to get a couple of respectable tunes out there and aimed for a C on the listening/ composing together.
    In the end overall I got a B1 which I was absolutely delighted with, and honestly I did less work for music than I did for many other subject that I did worse in.. Got a B1 in History and boy did that take away almost ten times more of my time than music!
    So don't drop it, it is great for points!
    I'd really reccomend you get singing lessons, really help to build your confidence.

Advertisement