Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Christmas this year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BlueLepreachaun

I got made redundant about 5 years after 11 years working... Guess what the dole was?.... £59 per week. I could not believe how generous it was in Ireland. Admittly the cost of living was higher but
    Indeed, and you don't pay €100 for an Emergency room visit in the UK either, or €55 for a doctor.
    You want to see ACTUAL STARVATION, try cuting the dole to €60 a week*.
    With my budget when I was living outside of home that would have got me my food and 2/3 of one weekly bus ticket. Nothing for rent, utilites etc

*the IMF will be doing it for us soon enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

I spent just over double that on food every week as a single person, an extra 5euro a week issn't going to help much, it would barely buy you a single ready meal in tesco ffsake.

Well 20 - 30 euro a month on internet each month over a year would save 240 - 360 in a year, so they could afford xmas presents...

People need to try live as a student i have 3750 to live off of for nine months, i pay 1855 on rent so have 52 to live off of a week... That has to pay bills, buy food etc... And i can still afford to spend a small amount on the people who matter to me...

Well 20 - 30 euro a month on internet each month over a year would save 240 - 360 in a year, so they could afford xmas presents...
    Budgets dont work that way. If your in week 1 of January and stuck between paying for food today or saving for December your gonna buy the food today, evn if its only a tiny bit of extra food.
    Well there you have it OP, if you are indeed not taking the piss, all you need to do is get a time machine, go back in time to January 2009, cancel your internet, save a fiver a week and you'll have money for christmas!

Why oh why didn't people save for the recession! Might be because we were told the property bubble bursting would be a soft landing and there was no reason to worry...no no its cos we were lazy!!...very lazy, and stupid.
    People need to try live as a student i have 3750 to live off of for nine months, i pay 1855 on rent so have 52 to live off of a week... That has to pay bills, buy food etc... And i can still afford to spend a small amount on the people who matter to me...
    You must be skinny as a rake or eating pot noodles with that kinda budget.
    Why don't you get a job? I hear they're easy to come by these days, unless your lazy!:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Well there you have it OP, if you are indeed not taking the piss, all you need to do is get a time machine, go back in time to January 2009, cancel your internet, save a fiver a week and you'll have money for christmas!

They'll be sorted for next year then :rolleyes:
    Why don't you get a job? I hear they're easy to come by these days, unless your lazy!:mad::rolleyes:

You would be suprised how well one can eat for very little with a bit of common sense, a srpinkle of creativity with one large helping of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ninty9er wrote: »
    There are people who do this, but there is nobody that NEEDS to do this. Even after a 4% cut next week, our welfare payments will STILL be too generous.

hi lad, i did not realise that you were on welfare, what did you do to cross uncle tony and uncle pat, to say you are on the scrap heap (excuse the pun).

as you are an unofficial spokesman for f. failure you should get real.

after all you have changed your f failure sig twice, i do not mind people having a go, but you only shout from one side of the fence, you never bother to sit on it,

• Advertisement

Budgets dont work that way. If your in week 1 of January and stuck between paying for food today or saving for December your gonna buy the food today, evn if its only a tiny bit of extra food.

Why oh why didn't people save for the recession! Might be because we were told the property bubble bursting would be a soft landing and there was no reason to worry...no no its cos we were lazy!!...very lazy, and stupid.

No i spend 30 euro a week on food, and i budjet very well... people need to learn how to do it... and for your information i spend a few hours a week minding a child in order to help my family out, but i dont get paid for it, but i save my family money in the long run... Family is more important to me than earning money for unnecessary items...

I don't no why people cant survive, when we were younger we lived off our children's allowance, and my dads widows pension, so don't understand why people cant do so now.

And i never said he needed a time machine, but you said that 20 euro a month will not account for anything but it would so your point is not very valid...

Also never called anyone lazy, i don't belie it is people's fault that they are in the situ that they are in, but they need to learn how to budjet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

No need to act the ejeit here mate...
    If someone set up an account to take 20 euro out of account each wee all year and couldnt touch it until say december... It's easily done!

If you want to do it you will...

People save every day... Just because YOU couldn't...
    Speak for yourself :)
    This is stupid... I'm assuming that is sarcasm yeh?
    You cna get massive bag of spuds for less then a fiver.
    Few big bags of pasta about a fiver.
    frozen chicken pieces in lidl are like 2 euro for about 30,
    drink = tap water
    Raman noodles, like 4 packs for 2 euro
    Lidl do pizza's 3 for 3.50(pepperoni and plain cheese)
    Frozen meals in dunnes got some last week, 2 for a fiver...
    Man it's so easy to live on 50 a week. And all of thats not including sandwichs which are cheap.
    I could live on that in college away from home!!! sandwich of day in UCD is 2.50 in the bar. 3 a day is 7.50, by 7 days is 52.50...

And thats eating out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Am I the only person who feels sorry for the op? I have only been on welfare very briefly and sometimes I ran out of food, lived on cornflakes or noodles at the end of the week, its not pleasent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

There is a strong chance the OP is telling the truth due to the demand for SVP help this year. Despite having one of the most generous welfare systems in the world, many Irish children are facing a bleak christmas due to the mistakes or their parents such as drug use, alcohol abuse or poor debt management. I can't see any other reasons why anyone could be in this situation when the govt. already give free medical cards, rent allowances, dole, fuel allowance, childrens allowance etc.

Therefore the key question being asked is: Should society be burdened with supporting households that show a complete lack of financial management and mis-use of taxpayers income? Its a very difficult and emotive topic and one which no country has found the answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Not hard to believe at all.
    I know a few people on minimum wage who will be doing similar, and I'm sure for a lot of people out there who will be going home for xmas, they would probably be doing the same.

ah come on now let's get 'real' a computer and BB connection and they expect tea and sympathy..............and freebies........give me a break.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Am I the only person who feels sorry for the op? I have only been on welfare very briefly and sometimes I ran out of food, lived on cornflakes or noodles at the end of the week, its not pleasent.

Here i think most people do feel sorry... If its true!

There is a big question validity!

They'll be sorted for next year then :rolleyes:
    Unless cost of living increaces in utilities or welfare cuts wipe out the savings, which they almost certainly will.
    With the endless talk of welfare cuts, education fee increaces, wage cuts and the OECD predictng a "permenantly lower standard of living" in Ireland do you honeslty think saving a fiver a week is going to be able to combat this massive assault on living standards?
    If someone set up an account to take 20 euro out of account each wee all year and couldnt touch it until say december... It's easily done!

If you want to do it you will...
    See are you going to put aside 20euro a week though for some distant point in the future when you have dire emergency needs right here and now? No, of course not. Most people in dire financial situations will live week to week or day to day. If your on €50, 000 a year you can afford to stash money away into savings, as you suggest, and it would be a very wise thing to do, in fact if people had done that more during the celtic tiger years instead of buying new deckin to impress Joanna down the road they'd have a lot less debt, but when your in a dire situation that kind of long term savings just isnst realistic.
    People save every day... Just because YOU couldn't.
    Actually I've just over €1000 in savings from the last year and within a few weeks will have zero debt, I'm one of the lucky ones, but I've been in dire situations myself and I know its not as simplistic as people here portray it, one day I had to cycle to the city centre because if I had spent the money on the bus to get there I'd not have had enough money left to buy food when I got there, granted I wasn't entitled to social welfare which is why I was in that situation, but I know where people are coming from becuase I've been in a similar situation.

Even when you strip expenses to the bone the basics can still be quite big, most of the bills in my house today I look at are quite large before any electricity is used, or phone call is made, just from basic charges alone.

I'm not saying the OP coudn't make more savings etc, I do't know the situation, I'm just saying people need to grow up a bit and realize the real world isn't as black and white as you seem to think it is.
    You would be suprised how well one can eat for very little with a bit of common sense, a srpinkle of creativity with one large helping of cop on.
    I knew thats what the poor were missing, if only they had cop on.
    They should stop paying people at the welfare office and slap them in the face instead, might reset their outlook, cop um on good.

frozen chicken pieces in lidl are like 2 euro for about 30
    Yeh..I've NEVER seen anything priced even close to that and I shopped in Lidil every week when I lived in my own apt, unless you mean them little packs of chicken that would barely fill 2 sandwitches, what I HAVE seen in supermarkets is close to a tenner for a few chicken breasts.
    drink = tap water
    Raman noodles, like 4 packs for 2 euro
    Lidl do pizza's 3 for 3.50(pepperoni and plain cheese)
    Listen mate, I hate to break it to you, but Pizzas and pasta..its a bit of a stretch to call either food, if you break down their ingrediants the nutritinal value of them is pretty pathetic.
    Man it's so easy to live on 50 a week. And all of thats not including sandwichs which are cheap.
    No, it's not.
    I challenge you to draw me a realistic budget that would include food utilities transport rent etc that would be even close to 50 euro a week, it would be doublte that for rent in most places ffsake!

Unless cost of living increaces in utilities or welfare cuts wipe out the savings, which they almost certainly will.
    With the endless talk of welfare cuts, education fee increaces, wage cuts and the OECD predictng a "permenantly lower standard of living" in Ireland do you honeslty think saving a fiver a week is going to be able to combat this massive assault on living standards?

See are you going to put aside 20euro a week though for some distant point in the future when you have dire emergency needs right here and now? No, of course not. Most people in dire financial situations will live week to week or day to day. If your on €50, 000 a year you can afford to stash money away into savings, as you suggest, and it would be a very wise thing to do, in fact if people had done that more during the celtic tiger years instead of buying new deckin to impress Joanna down the road they'd have a lot less debt, but when your in a dire situation that kind of long term savings just isnst realistic.

Actually I've just over €1000 in savings from the last year and within a few weeks will have zero debt, I'm one of the lucky ones, but I've been in dire situations myself and I know its not as simplistic as people here portray it, one day I had to cycle to the city centre because if I had spent the money on the bus to get there I'd not have had enough money left to buy food when I got there, granted I wasn't entitled to social welfare which is why I was in that situation, but I know where people are coming from becuase I've been in a similar situation.

Even when you strip expenses to the bone the basics can still be quite big, most of the bills in my house today I look at are quite large before any electricity is used, or phone call is made, just from basic charges alone.

I'm not saying the OP coudn't make more savings etc, I do't know the situation, I'm just saying people need to grow up a bit and realize the real world isn't as black and white as you seem to think it is.

I knew thats what the poor were missing, if only they had cop on.
    They should stop paying people at the welfare office and slap them in the face instead, might reset their outlook, cop um on good.

you can get all dramtical if you wish, but people were simply putting forward ideas. ideas i might add that a lot of people who are in financial difficulty fail to see sometimes.

When someone says cut your ntl, people bawk in horror, "but what will i do? tv is the one luxry i have"

ditching the tv alone will save you 120e or whatever the license is.

ntl/sky/digi packs can accucmalte vasts some's depending on the package you have where you could make considerable savings.

this is one small aspect that someone brought up but people who fail to see the savings in it or the "hassel" of not having a tv/ntl/sky tend to be people who refuse to let go of other "luxry" items as they seem small but when you add them all up can be very exspensive.

these times are not time for pride or ego's it's about doing the best with what you have.

if that means having to get a book from the local libary instead of watching cori to put an extra meal on the table then so be it.

maybe instead of knocking everyone elses suggestions of how not to do you could help the op with some ideas on how TO DO.

we all might learn something.

Yeh..I've NEVER seen anything priced even close to that and I shopped in Lidil every week when I lived in my own apt, unless you mean them little packs of chicken that would barely fill 2 sandwitches, what I HAVE seen in supermarkets is close to a tenner for a few chicken breasts.

Listen mate, I hate to break it to you, but Pizzas and pasta..its a bit of a stretch to call either food, if you break down their ingrediants the nutritinal value of them is pretty pathetic.

No, it's not.
    I challenge you to draw me a realistic budget that would include food utilities transport rent etc that would be even close to 50 euro a week, it would be doublte that for rent in most places ffsake!

firstly local butchers in limerick city do 5 chicken fillets for 5, you can get a whole chicken in lidle for 4 euro... Pizza and pasta can become a fine meal once they are put with other ingreadents like salad etc...

seceondly, i think that that he was saying food wise you could live off 50 a week, so a family with two on social welfare is 400, more than likely get food allowance, flue allowance, etc. I know families that only have to pay 20 euro rent a week, and round 10 on heating, 10 on ESB, so have 360 to spend evry week...

No, it's not.

Someone all ready did it on another thread, I think the budget was 52e (i'm talking food only) and was able to come up with a very balanced diet for the money and that was about two years ago when food was a lot more exspensive.

social welfare payments are not designed to pay rent.

try it yourself, you be suprised what 50e a week can buy

There is a strong chance the OP is telling the truth due to the demand for SVP help this year. Despite having one of the most generous welfare systems in the world, many Irish children are facing a bleak christmas due to the mistakes or their parents such as drug use, alcohol abuse or poor debt management. I can't see any other reasons why anyone could be in this situation when the govt. already give free medical cards, rent allowances, dole, fuel allowance, childrens allowance etc.
    I can.
    Debt debt debt debt debt debt, we got drunk on it during the celtic tiger and now we are paying for that underfloor heating and deckin we got to impress Joanne down the road, and were paying dearly.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/personal-debt-is-strangling-us-1428468.html
    WE seem to have been walking around with blinkers for the last few years. By the end of this year, the average household will be borrowing way more than it is earning -- €158 for every €100 earned, according to Goodbody Stockbrokers. This is a far cry from the shrewd days of 1995, where we borrowed about €50 for every €100 earned.
    THE average Irish household is in debt to the tune of almost €115,000, new figures from the Central Statistics Office reveal.
    Therefore the key question being asked is: Should society be burdened with supporting households that show a complete lack of financial management and mis-use of taxpayers income? Its a very difficult and emotive topic and one which no country has found the answer to
    We are burdened with the cost of suporting AIB, Anglo-Irish and Bank of Ireland after their drunken lending and speculating blew up in their face and nearly cause them to go bust were it not for our corproate welfare handouts (directly from our pension reserve fund I might add)..so if were bailing out irresponcible banks I don't see any moral qualms about bailing out the foolish people they lent too much money too.

As far as "taxpayers" go, keep in mind 3/4 of people currently on the dole are on it less than a year, they paid plenty of tax and prsi in the last decade, they are "the taxpayer". They paid their social insurance contributions for just this exact contingency.

you can get all dramtical if you wish, but people were simply putting forward ideas. ideas i might add that a lot of people who are in financial difficulty fail to see sometimes.
    I know someone who was drowning in debt and woudn't sell their SUV cos they might have made a loss on it (which you'd make re-selling any car..), there is plenty of foolish financial management out there and I'd encourage anyone in the OPs situation to go to MABS wwho will be able to show them where there budget can be got under control with a fresh and objective pair of eyes.
    When someone says cut your ntl, people bawk in horror, "but what will i do? tv is the one luxry i have" ditching the tv alone will save you 120e or whatever the license is.
    ntl/sky/digi packs can accucmalte vasts some's depending on the package you have where you could make considerable savings.
    Keep in mind as well many of these services, such as Eircom Broadband have a fixed term contract and they whack you with a charge of €100+ if you try to break it early.
    maybe instead of knocking everyone elses suggestions of how not to do you could help the op with some ideas on how TO DO.
    I can't without knowing more about the OPs personal situation, unlike everyone else here I'm not willing to leap to conclusions.
    But I'll make some general suggesstions below.
    Seceondly, i think that that he was saying food wise you could live off 50 a week, so a family with two on social welfare is 400, more than likely get food allowance, flue allowance, etc. I know families that only have to pay 20 euro rent a week, and round 10 on heating, 10 on ESB, so have 360 to spend evry week...

I am 100% confident no such family exists on social welfare that has that kinda money as disposable income.
    €50 a week for food is plenty for an individual, I've never had kids so I cant say how much extra it would be for them but I'd imagine far more.
    There is no such thing as a food allowance.
    I paid my heat and ESB etc at €10 flat every week and it was a great way to keep everything under control, too many people wait until the giant bill comes as a block then piss themselves, better to put a little bit off each bill every week.

While I doubt it would save much I'd definitly dump NTL and probably TV entirely, I havn't sat down and watched a TV programme on a TV in years, I do it all through the net, and that licence is a rip off no matter what, so dumping NTL for me as a cost saver would be a complete no brainer.

I'd also have no qualms dumping the landline, again a totally unessicary xpense, I' got along fine with just the mobile for a year living in my place, I used Skype for longer convos (they have skype cordless phones now pretty cheap too so your not talking into a microphone beside the laptop, saves you an unholy fortune in the long run fort the sake of the iniatial €30)

The way I shopped for food was to have a fixed list every week and try to locate the chepest shop for each item on the list, rather than doing the entire shop in one place.
    Check out Tesco at around 9:45 pm as well, SBO are probably reducing the reduced items once again around that time, I used to reduce items down to a few cents to get rid of them rather than have them as waste.

While I doubt it would save much I'd definitly dump NTL and probably TV entirely, I havn't sat down and watched a TV programme on a TV in years, I do it all through the net, and that licence is a rip off no matter what, so dumping NTL for me as a cost saver would be a complete no brainer.

if you take the lowest digital pack from ntl i think it's 30e a month (i'm too lazy to check)

360e a year
    tv license 120e

so 480e you have just added two weekly social payments to your anual income, not bad?

anaverage BB connection + line? 30-40e a month?

a possible 480e savings

so you just increased your anual income by 960e

we had a decrease in the cost of living by 6% or so from last year

lets say that's 3 % next year plus what you saved

you have increased your anual income by almost 20%

take away the possible 5% decrease in social, things aren't looking to bad after all

can't be too shabby?

Definitly worth doing (just subtract the severence charge of 100euro or so for each of those services from that saving) but my point is week by week that doen'st work out to be much of a change, still worth doing, but I'd suggest along with micky mouse stuff like that people look to improving the core reason for their budget being in that state.

That means a good strategy to attack debt, and trying as hard as possible to get a job, because social welfare is on a downward slope, the govts too stupid to do a stimulas package, so were in for an endless spiral of deflation and spending cuts for a long tme to come, relying on social welfare is gonna be pretty difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

DJDC wrote: »

Doesn't necessarily have to be any of the above tho.
    We still have an unreformed private sector/rip off republic.
    The cost of living here is still completely mental.
    And I don't think the unemployed can avail of credit cards, can they?

My sister came home from Germany recently, where she has a very good job, and good quality of life, and said she felt poor just walking around looking at prices in shops and resteraunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Indeed, and you don't pay €100 for an Emergency room visit in the UK either, or €55 for a doctor.
    You want to see ACTUAL STARVATION, try cuting the dole to €60 a week*.
    With my budget when I was living outside of home that would have got me my food and 2/3 of one weekly bus ticket. Nothing for rent, utilites etc
    Unemployed = Medical Card = none of those costs
    old boy wrote: »
    hi lad, i did not realise that you were on welfare, what did you do to cross uncle tony and uncle pat, to say you are on the scrap heap (excuse the pun).

as you are an unofficial spokesman for f. failure you should get real.

after all you have changed your f failure sig twice, i do not mind people having a go, but you only shout from one side of the fence, you never bother to sit on it,
    I don't have an uncle Tony, and my aul uncle Pat wouldn't be up to much providing apart from his own house.

I shout from whichever side of the fence makes sense.

I earn €425 a week for a 60-70 hour week, so I'm not going to apologise to anyone for it. I have €405 after PRSI and Levy, and can realistially afford to pay more.

I put €55 a week into savings, pay €85 off 2 loans including one for rent which is payable in lump twice a year and haven't cooked in God knows how long. I generally eat out because it's usually after 10 at least when I get home, so about €60 between lunch and something in the evening as well as tea/coffee and spend about €50 a fortnight on keeping the car going as well as paying tax etc.

I'll have a night out at least once a week, which could be dropped, and I'm leaving the country for new years.

At the end of a week I'll probably have €15/€20 left over, but if I really tried and got out of the office earlier to cook/packed a lunch, I could live on a lot less than that.

€204.30 is quite generous and if I didn't have rent of approx €400/month (which I could easily cut by moving home) then I'd have a loan repayment of €45 a week, wouldn't be using as much fuel in the car and wouldn't have any major outgoings at all.

It's not the state's job to operate a social welfare system
    that allows for lifestyle choices, there should only be one choice, basics!

• Advertisement

Unemployed = Medical Card = none of those costs
    I've been waiting 4 months for my medical card to arrive, the costs are there while you wait all right
    and people wait months for social welfare as well.

€204.30 is quite generous and if I didn't have rent of approx €400/month (which I could easily cut by moving home) then I'd have a loan repayment of €45 a week, wouldn't be using as much fuel in the car and wouldn't have any major outgoings at all.
    The magic social welfare fairy is paying rents now? I thought she just supplemented them? Jasus she's great...
    It's not the state's job to operate a social welfare system
    that allows for lifestyle choices, there should only be one choice, basics!
    ...which 204 barely covers...do you think people are out buyin a new Lexus with their 200 quid a week or something? Anyone I know whos on SW is just paying for basics.

I've been waiting 4 months for my medical card to arrive, the costs are there while you wait all right
    and people wait months for social welfare as well.

it gets back dated to the date you signed tho right?

The magic social welfare fairy is paying rents now? I thought she just supplemented them? Jasus she's great...

if your rent is under there threshold, afaik your end will be very small amount. 20e in a lot of cases
    ...which 204 barely covers...do you think people are out buyin a new Lexus with their 200 quid a week or something? Anyone I know whos on SW is just paying for basics.

really?

so if we take a single person getting the full 204

816e a month single guy/girl living in the capital

you can rent a room in most parts of the city for under 300e rent suppliment in dublin 92e per week rent covered.

so assume we're sharing a fully occupied 3 bed.

ntl / 3 10e per month

ESB? lets say an average of 30e each a month

GAS? lets say 50e each a month

so after housing and bills we're left with 720e a month

that's a hell of a lot of disosable income for a single person, more than a lot of people who work.

it gets back dated to the date you signed tho right?

Most of the time

u can rent a room in most parts of the city for under 300e rent suppliment in dublin 92e per week rent covered.
    under 300? yeh...if you wanna live in a wardrobe...
    ESB? lets say an average of 30e each a month

GAS? lets say 50e each a month

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH those estimates are hillarious, come on man be serious now.

s

I dont think your medical card is backdated in real terms can you go back to the doctor and ask for your 60 quid back.

Most of the time

under 300? yeh...if you wanna live in a wardrobe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH those estimates are hillarious, come on man be serious now.

s

how is a double room in a 3 bed room house a wardrobe?

i'll provide you with some daft links if you want

those estimates are monthyl split by 3

90e a month ESB is unresonable? mines normally around 50e?

gas 150 a month is unreasonable?

mines never more than 300 eevery two months?

how are they unresonable?

I dont think your medical card is backdated in real terms can you go back to the doctor and ask for your 60 quid back.

i was referring to the social payments.

ntlbell wrote: »
    i was referring to the social payments.

ah sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

they have more disposable income than that ntlbell

cos dole of 204.30 a week
    actually equals 888 a month

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    they have more disposable income than that ntlbell

cos dole of 204.30 a week
    actually equals 888 a month

It'd be more 817 no?

sorry, yes, on the 52 weeks it would be, my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

52.18 weeks in a year :D

Advertisement