Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Christmas this year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

under 300? yeh...if you wanna live in a wardrobe...

Because you should have luxury of choice about where you live if you're claiming social welfare? Come off it. So long as theres a roof over your head, running water in the taps and showers and heating in the place then whether it's a matchbox room or an open plan double master bedroom shouldn't matter an iota. Matchbox room or wardrobe would be cheaper to heat too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

danjo-xx wrote: »
    ah come on now let's get 'real' a computer and BB connection and they expect tea and sympathy..............and freebies........give me a break.:(

The EU parliament seem to think that internet connectivity is a fundamental right.
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?language=EN&type=IM-PRESS&reference=20090325IPR52612

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1124/breaking50.htm

Personally, I am inclined to agree.
    Knowing how important it is for education and job hunting, I don't believe anyone should have to go without it.
    Edit: Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean you can interpret it as a right to have it paid for you

Having caught up on the rest of the post yet, so can't comment atm.

Join your local library and you can have internet for pretty much free. It's a very small charge to join iirc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

BlueLepreachaun seems to think being on the dole should gaurantee you your existing quality of life....

Sorry mate but it doesnt. The dole is there to survive!!
    Food, clothes and a roof over your head. Thats what it says on the tin and that what it does.

If you cannot do those things on the dole than A) you are trying to pay off a big debt with your dole money or B) your an idiot who cant handle money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

cson wrote: »
    Join your local library and you can have internet for pretty much free. It's a very small charge to join iirc.

i'm sure it's free to join, I don't recall having to pay.

• Advertisement

I know for a fact its free under 18 but I'm not so sure as regards Adults. In any case it's an under utilised resource that would cost little of anything to join and for someone on social welfare possibly save them €30 a month on broadband fees that could be spent elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

I dont think your medical card is backdated in real terms can you go back to the doctor and ask for your 60 quid back.

If you qualify for a medical card - bring your receipts from the time you first submitted your application into your local medical cards office and you will get that money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

social welfare cuts=great and about time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

See are you going to put aside 20euro a week though for some distant point in the future when you have dire emergency needs right here and now? No, of course not.

Well, at least we've gotten from "why give up teh internet when it would only save 20 euro" to "if you're in dire financial straits, you're going to need that 20 euro rather than saving it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Most of the time

under 300? yeh...if you wanna live in a wardrobe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH those estimates are hillarious, come on man be serious now.

s

You ask us to be realistic, but you are totally unrealistic!!
    300 a week is grand, look here for example, 340. with rent allowance very affordable

*Edit... i have a link but i dunno how to post links here...*
    go on daft, and look up a double room in lucan. one for 85 a week. very nice place!

Dude, your nothing but a bitter self pitying person really, or at least its coming across that way.

The dole is overly generous. Fact. Some people are in trouble, thats their problem not the government.

Fact is realistically the dole should be lessened!

We cannot afford it, same as we cannot afford the PS wages so its being lowered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2009/10/finland_broadba.html

Finland seem to think broadband is a fundamental right.

Read a few posts above - the local library serves this right. Do you think the State should pay for broadband in peoples homes? To put it bluntly.

Read a few posts above - the local library serves this right. Do you think the State should pay for broadband in peoples homes? To put it bluntly.

Yes I do, and so does the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

ntlbell tv licence is 160 per yr my last esb bill i have a 3 bed rarely in it during the day get home bout 6 was 250 bi monthly!

Facebooking and *fapping* a human right? lulz?

ntlbell wrote: »
    Facebooking and *fapping* a human right? lulz?

no but doing a online course to add to your cv or simply to send cv's to company's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BlueLepreachaun

Because you should have luxury of choice about where you live if you're claiming social welfare? Come off it. So long as theres a roof over your head, running water in the taps and showers and heating in the place then whether it's a matchbox room or an open plan double master bedroom shouldn't matter an iota. Matchbox room or wardrobe would be cheaper to heat too. ;)

Well you see when you have a few kids, a matchbox is impractacal...you see....they wont fit into it..

Most of you should go out and buy economics for dummies, or better yet try living on 200euro a week yourselves for a while, then subtract about 1/4 of that as if it was for debt repayments and see how you get on.
    jank wrote: »
    BlueLepreachaun seems to think being on the dole should gaurantee you your existing quality of life....

Sorry mate but it doesnt. The dole is there to survive!!
    Food, clothes and a roof over your head. Thats what it says on the tin and that what it does.

If you cannot do those things on the dole than A) you are trying to pay off a big debt with your dole money or B) your an idiot who cant handle money.

Yeh your right, they should just ignore the debt and have their home seized..christ you people are clueless. If your income doens' t cover the basics + your debt repayments no amount of clever financial managements going to balance your books.
    gerry28 wrote: »
    If you qualify for a medical card - bring your receipts from the time you first submitted your application into your local medical cards office and you will get that money back.
    I've never heard of that, can you provide a link?

Dude, your nothing but a bitter self pitying person really, or at least its coming across that way.
    Im not on the dole and I never have been, so I dont know where your getting that from.
    The dole is overly generous. Fact. Some people are in trouble, thats their problem not the government.
    You can't just say "its overly generious", your pulling that out of your ass, most other welfare systems in western europe are far more generious, and most wages n the country are far higher, so your talking ****e.
    Fact is realistically the dole should be lessened!
    Cutting wages, welfare or raising most taxes when the country is in a deflationary spiral is economic suicide.
    bonkey wrote: »
    Well, at least we've gotten from "why give up teh internet when it would only save 20 euro" to "if you're in dire financial straits, you're going to need that 20 euro rather than saving it".

Saving a 5er a week is still piss, and even if you have that extra 5er your still not going to put it calmly away for next years christmas when you have people sending you threatenng debt letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

gcgirl wrote: »
    ntlbell tv licence is 160 per yr my last esb bill i have a 3 bed rarely in it during the day get home bout 6 was 250 bi monthly!

Your esb can very easily be cut by at least 75%! :eek:

There is so much wrong with that I don't where to start. :(

Well you see when you have a few kids, a matchbox is impractacal...you see....they wont fit into it..

Most of you should go out and buy economics for dummies, or better yet try living on 200euro a week yourselves for a while, then subtract about 1/4 of that as if it was for debt repayments and see how you get on.

Having studied Economics, that book was actually quite good in comparison to the course text. :)

To address the issue; you seem to change circumstances as they suit you. Now we have kids in the equation. Oh wait, we get Child Benefit for them so no great loss.

Firstly I'll qualify this by saying the irony of NAMA is not lost on me in this response but that is an issue for another thread.

- The Government is under no obligation to service anyones personal debt. Private debt is the responsiblilty of the individual and Welfare should not and does not provide for paying it back. If someone bought property and is now unemployed with a large mortgage I have a certain degree of sympathy for them. But in the cold light of day, it's irresponsible borrowing and their bed is made in that regard.

• Advertisement

gcgirl wrote: »
    no but doing a online course to add to your cv or simply to send cv's to company's!

why does the course have to be online?

would it not be better for an unemployed person's mental state to get out interact with people and help build their networks?

can't they do the course online in the libarary?

same for sending a cv?

being able to do a course without getting out of bed shouldn't be a "right"

nonsese.

sorry just discussing an online fas course before hand and thats the first thing that sprang to mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭maryjane007

there are a lot of people in the same position as op this year.

it must be really hard this year with no christmas bonus. if you were living on 200 to 300 hundred a week with a few kids it must be next to impossible to have a proper christmas. sure that amount would only cover food and outgoings.

some of you are very hard i only hope you never find yourselves in that situation

there are a lot of people in the same position as op this year.

it must be really hard this year with no christmas bonus. if you were living on 200 to 300 hundred a week with a few kids it must be next to impossible to have a proper christmas. sure that amount would only cover food and outgoings.

some of you are very hard i only hope you never find yourselves in that situation

if you have a few kids you should be getting a lot more than 200-300e

A 2 child unemployed family for the month of Dec;

8 x Welfare Payments (Both Parents) €1632
    1 x Child Benefit €332

How many times do we have to state it; the social is not for financing your debt, you chose to take that on, no one is forced to get into debt. have some frigging personal accountability for your own actions.

if it's a familiy with a few kids, then the money increases and we can do the figures for that if you were not happy with the single person being left with almost 800e disposable income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BlueLepreachaun

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1124527893.1260213947@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadejddjmfgkcefeceiedfgodfik.0&cid=BroadbandNewJourneyFAOs&site=Res&chanId=-536890055&storeChanId=-536890055&clickIdAction=addClickID_gateway&clickIdTo=/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp&clickFrom=/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp&clickFromCID=BroadbandIntroRes1&clickFromCategory=null

5. Do I sign up to a contract?

When you order eircom broadband and talktime as a bundle, you are subject to a minimum 12 month contract period.
    6. What happens if I cease before the end of the contract period?

If you cease your bundle service during the minimum contract period, eircom reserves the right to charge the monthly rental for the balance of the unexpired contract period.** In the event that the customer fails to return the modem within 14 days, eircom reserves the right to charge the customer the sum of €99.40 (inc. VAT) for the wireless modem.
    **Please note: if you cease your broadband within the six months, you will be charged the remaining rental for the six month contract period.
    Ah yeh...ye can save a fortune getting rid of the net all right..:rolleyes:

- The Government is under no obligation to service anyones personal debt. Private debt is the responsiblilty of the individual and Welfare should not and does not provide for paying it back. If someone bought property and is now unemployed with a large mortgage I have a certain degree of sympathy for them. But in the cold light of day, it's irresponsible borrowing and their bed is made in that regard.
    How many times do we have to state it; the social is not for financing your debt, you chose to take that on, no one is forced to get into debt. have some frigging personal accountability for your own actions.

if it's a familiy with a few kids, then the money increases and we can do the figures for that if you were not happy with the single person being left with almost 800e disposable income.

Your kidding me right? Your actually kidding me? I don't know what kinda world you think we live in but it's not one where personal responcibiity is the primary factor n spending habits, the basic marketing techniques of credit card companies and morgage lenders was and is to appeal to the persons irrational sub-conscious, the government can't just let this rampent orgy of excessive lending and speculating go on for 10 years then say sorry your own your own when the inevitable consequences they were warned repeatidly about come to pass.

I'm not suggesting we should have some kind of debt repayment system within social welfare, that would be a totally unaceptable moral hazard, we need far more strict regulation of lending for the future to prevent this happening again, but to suggest that in cutting welfare now we shoudl take no account of the reasons for past debt accumulation is just putting blinkers on.

No single person on SW could be left with 800euro disposable income since the payment (before expenses are spent on) is only 600...
    if you have a few kids you should be getting a lot more than 200-300e
    Yeh an extra €26 per child, they better not spend it all in one place:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

last i checked christmas wasnt mandatory to living?, and i really dont think social welfare is geared towards splurging at christmas time, i think the original concept behind social welfare was to provide a basic standard of living for families where one or both parents are unemployed, i.e. provide food, accomodation and clothing for families

I could be wrong though, Christmas obviously seems to have become as essential as food now?

A 2 child unemployed family for the month of Dec;

8 x Welfare Payments (Both Parents) €1632
    1 x Child Benefit €332

its actuall 10 cent 366 euro a week
    204.30 personal rate
    135.60 qualified adult
    26..00 a child

then child benefit 332

• Advertisement

There is so much wrong with that I don't where to start. :(

And that attitude is why this country is going nowhere.
    We are so far back in the stone age in attitude and technology we are going backwards at this stage. Lowering the minimum wage, trying to get manufacturing and farming jobs. We are a First World economy, we are not a country who should be focusing on the Primary and Secondary industries, we are a country who should be moving into a majority tertiary income base yet we are still stuck in the dark ages. Ireland will not recover until we realize that things cant just stay the same, progress is whats needed, highly payed skilled jobs are whats needed to recover this economy not someone working for five euro an hour, that is whats wrong with this country, we are focusing on the entirely wrong thing

Advertisement