Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Christmas this year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

You don't live in the real world sir.

I surley do.

Maybe my mannerisim is just more puersuasive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BlueLepreachaun

ntlbell wrote: »
    I surley do.

Maybe my mannerisim is just more puersuasive ;)

Cartoonish soloutions based on steriotypes and social myths that get people yelling "yeh yeh exactly" are always going to be popular they are also always going to be ineffective for the very reason that they are based on steriotypes and myths, and not the real reasons for human behaviour.

Cartoonish soloutions based on steriotypes and social myths that get people yelling "yeh yeh exactly" are always going to be popular they are also always going to be ineffective for the very reason that they are based on steriotypes and myths, and not the real reasons for human behaviour.

yes, it's all a myth, no one has gone into a bank and got loans frozen :rolleyes:

give them a chance to say no and they will

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

A bank in a situation of sever inability to replay will agree a pittace rate of 5-10 euro a week on loans, they are obliged to and if they dont a judge wil oblige them on your behalf.
    I know this for a fact and have seen it being done on much larger sums than you owe.

What I meant was that the outlook of people on this thread, and their reasons they think people behave in certain ways, are based on false premieses, and so their cookie cutter soloutions to very complex problems won't work in the real world.
    A bank in a situation of sever inability to replay will agree a pittace rate of 5-10 euro a week on loans, they are obliged to and if they dont a judge wil oblige them on your behalf.
    I know this for a fact and have seen it being done on much larger sums than you owe.
    They may, all I'm saying is they told me to piss off, so it's not gaurenteed, and if you pile up a couple of those reduced rates*, match it with the low incomes and add in the high basic spending on rent food and utilities, you can see how its possible someone on welfare cannot meet the basics.

*say 2 credit cards, your morgage, credit union loan etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tallaghtnutter

cson wrote: »
    No PS3 then? My heart breaks for them too. God knows I'd love a PS3.

I don't mean to be harsh, but Christmas is not all about the presents and giving. Once you can sit down to dinner together as a family and spend the day off together then thats Christmas in my eyes.

Who the hell said any thing about a PS3,my family won`t go without a christmas dinner or a day that they won`t enjoy,Hope santa brings you all you want this christmas,you sad ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Laptop1 wrote: »
    We have to cancel Christmas this year. It is too expensive for us. We cannot afford gifts as some of us are on Social Welfare and that covers very little. SVP did come to our aid about three weeks ago but we are now alone again. We eat over the weekends and then we make sure the kids are fed from Sunday onwards and we go without food until Wednesday. Anyone else in this situation???? http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif

What kids?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62530740&postcount=5

What I meant was that the outlook of people on this thread, and their reasons they think people behave in certain ways, are based on false premieses, and so their cookie cutter soloutions to very complex problems won't work in the real world.

They may, all I'm saying is they told me to piss off, so it's not gaurenteed, and if you pile up a couple of those reduced rates*, match it with the low incomes and add in the high basic spending on rent food and utilities, you can see how its possible someone on welfare cannot meet the basics.

*say 2 credit cards, your morgage, credit union loan etc

what age do you think i am?

I've seen very tough times.

I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air, it's from expirience, it's from making mistakes, it's from having to do the do.

most of the advice on here it just basic common sense which can be hard to see sometimes when the walls are closing in on you.

you on the other hand just want to find excuses and people to blame.

I was trying to point out the reasons (real reasons not cartoonish ones based on misconceptions, steriotypes and social myths) people behave in certain ways in regards spending and welfare, there is a diffrence between a reason and an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its all well and good for people saying people have to make do with what they`ve got money wise this Christmas,but i`d put it to you this way,there are to many people in ireland this year that have been let go from their jobs,good hard working people with families that have to now go to welfare for a hand out (that`s all you can call welfare),i`m one of these people,i know i won`t be able to give my kids all they want this christmas which breaks my heart.Don`t be ready to jump on people just cos they won`t tell all of you their full back ground storys,not everyone is the same,some people get more from welfare then others,there`s people out there who are losing their family car,the family home and come wednesday maybe losing a hole lot more.Remember that their could be some one here looking for real help in how to make it a real christmas for their kids,think first before you reply to someone to what your going to say to them,and lets try make it a peaceful christmas this year without someone feeling that there`s noway out for them.....There`s always a way out if people are willing to listen.

In fairness there were lots of posters initially offering to help the OP and showing sympathy etc. And if it was a genuine plea for help and if for instance he had posted a Statement of Accounts, basically what his incomings and outgoings are then plenty of nice people here would have helped him, spotted non essentials he could save on, ways of reducing any credit card interest payments, getting out of contracts early, making sure he gets his full welfare entitlements etc.

But unfortunately it's beginning to look like the OP has done a rather classic hit-and-run of the sort which happens quite a lot on the politics/economics boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Who the hell said any thing about a PS3,my family won`t go without a christmas dinner or a day that they won`t enjoy,Hope santa brings you all you want this christmas,you sad ass

That particular comment was made in jest. I used the PS3 as an example that Christmas is not all about material gifts. You seem to have the right idea about it anyway and that's to be commended - having a Christmas dinner together as a family and enjoying each others company is the essence of the holiday.

Please don't personally attack me in future either, it demeans yourself as a poster when you resort to that in my own opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yeh your right, they should just ignore the debt and have their home seized..christ you people are clueless. If your income doens' t cover the basics + your debt repayments no amount of clever financial managements going to balance your books.

If people got themselves in so much debt well is that my fault? Should I subsidies someone elses lifestyle choice?

I feel for people who have lost jobs and are in debt because of a mortage these people should be looked after somewhat but those who have max'd out the CC and are now out of a job, well tought $hit mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Jaysus, €1,500 to tax a car.

Ahhhh yes Watson....Unless... it`s a Taxi !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I go back to my first post,people should think first and not say things as a joke,how are you to know that the person that you are replying to isn`t posting as a cry for help.My whole reason for posting here is to help were i can,i`ve had a mate kill himself cos he felt worthless that he could`nt support his family.Alot of people are feeling low at this time of year,if you ,i ,or anyone here can help isn`t that not the best Christmas message...........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Money can't fix someone feeling worthless.

In fairness there were lots of posters initially offering to help the OP and showing sympathy etc. And if it was a genuine plea for help and if for instance he had posted a Statement of Accounts, basically what his incomings and outgoings are then plenty of nice people here would have helped him, spotted non essentials he could save on, ways of reducing any credit card interest payments, getting out of contracts early, making sure he gets his full welfare entitlements etc.

But unfortunately it's beginning to look like the OP has done a rather classic hit-and-run of the sort which happens quite a lot on the politics/economics boards.

Why should i post any STATEMENT OF MY ACCOUNTS,how i manage what little money i have is soully my own bussiness,my whole point of the post was to make people understand that people show some repect to other people and not make a joke or make them feel any lower then their feeling,case in point,i`d a friend last year that killed himself cos he felt worthless that he could`nt support his family after he`d loss his job and his bills just got to much for him.So my point is PLEASE be carefull what you say to a post...........

Why should i post any STATEMENT OF MY ACCOUNTS,how i manage what little money i have is soully my own bussiness,my whole point of the post was to make people understand that people show some repect to other people and not make a joke or make them feel any lower then their feeling,case in point,i`d a friend last year that killed himself cos he felt worthless that he could`nt support his family after he`d loss his job and his bills just got to much for him.So my point is PLEASE be carefull what you say to a post...........

look, the person came on to a public forum and made i don't know what some form of statment.

this is a discussion forum, so it was discussed.

if people want a hug and a cuddle, a politics forum on boards is probably not the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Ntlbell and BlueLep. are both right;

- Social welfare ideally shouldn't be used to service debt, but...
    - There was a failure in lending regulation during the boom years

Welfare will be cut in many cases, it's unavoidable, but every pressure should be put on banks to restructure mortgage payment terms to suit the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Ahhhh yes Watson....Unless... it`s a Taxi !!!

And?

PS. This is a thread about Social Welfare!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jcrobod

Getting fed up of €100,000 p.a. being called "high income" and being a target for every cut and levy going. There is no account being taken of one's obligations. A married, single income family with a mortgage, 6 children, 3 school going, 3 in third level is not a wealthy family. There is an enormous difference between that family and a couple with no dependents. Christmas mioght indeed be somewhat cancelled.

• Advertisement

And I mean €100,000 gross. Not a lot left after texes, levies etc.etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

As crap as it may be I couldnt cancel christmas. I dont think a 6 & 7 year old would appreciate Santy being cancelled & I think the 7 yr old is just managing to spell recession.

Christmas is about giving right? Doesnt necessarily have to be about buying..

Ill be the first to admit pre unemployment I was on the piggys back & last year there was hundreds spent on santa. This year 1 gift each from santa the way it should be. Im responsible for my kids being spoilt little sh$ts yes? So im also responsible for unspoiling them! 1 toy each & relatives have all said they never know what to buy them anyway so they all going to get them something they really want rather than a load of money wasted on junk that will be tossed in the corner anyway.

As for everyone else.. nada ! Told them all plain & simple Im buying nothing. But just cos im not buying doesnt mean I cant give. Now I am going to give them a recycled gift just from the kids. May be a photo in a frame or some craft the kiddies have made. I found a load of bulbs in the garden so the kids replanted them & painted the pots.

Im pooling resources with a friend & we feeding everyone together.. Kept the tesco vouchers all year so covers enough food for everyone. We are just gonna cut out the rubbish.

we are going back to basics but no need to cancel.

I will put my hand up now & say yep rolled out the red carpet in the past but now time to cut the cloth & theres no other way around it. we have all been frivolous & things are tough now. I feed the 3 of us on about €45 a week. I cut out the processed & packaged foods. Buy from the greengrocer instead of the brutal veg in tescos. Pool with a group of friends & buy meat in bulk from the butcher so save a fortune & its not wasted as so many of us do it together & divide it up.
    TBH I think they eat healthier now. They all of a sudden love beans & TBH i figured out how to use the oven rather than the microwave.

Things are bad for everyone , im not saying they arent. It is a struggle .But if you take a step back look at the basics you can shave money here & there. Take the car off the road - no tax or insurance & walk everywhere.

But dont cancel christmas - Just do it slightly differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

jcrobod wrote: »
    100k for a couple isint rich by any standards, probably left with 63k-65k after taxes, unmaried couple with 3 kids and all the social benefits can get around 750euro a week( 39k ) including free medical.

Christmas shouldnt be about stupid consumerism anyway, should be about family and being together and having fun together. Kids have been insanely spoilt in ireland over the past 6 years or so, that needs to change, 10 year olds want a PS3 with a handful of games, quad bikes and junk like that, thats just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Laptop1

muboop1 wrote: »
    You ask us to be realistic, but you are totally unrealistic!!
    300 a week is grand, look here for example, 340. with rent allowance very affordable

*Edit... i have a link but i dunno how to post links here...*
    go on daft, and look up a double room in lucan. one for 85 a week. very nice place!

Dude, your nothing but a bitter self pitying person really, or at least its coming across that way.

The dole is overly generous. Fact. Some people are in trouble, thats their problem not the government.

Fact is realistically the dole should be lessened!

We cannot afford it, same as we cannot afford the PS wages so its being lowered!

I didn't expect to get any **** like this from anyone out there. There are 6 in the house, €600 per week, rent, utilities ( and I DO have the internet), food and misc. Oh, by the way I have one teenager confined to a wheelchair completely dependant on us 24/7. I myself am disabled. If any of you hypocrits are silly cervants I hope Brian Lenihan screws you all to the ground. You have been too well looked after up to now. Now, cough up. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

jcrobod wrote: »

Im sorry 100k is a high income when 450,000 people are on social welfare.
    I was on a high income and I wont whine about having 67k net income.
    Bad choices dont make themselves. If your struggling on 100k then youve made a lot of bad choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Laptop - I didnt mean any offense to you at all.. I do feel your pain as I know how hard it is to stretch that few euros a week. Unfortunately unless you are on SW you cant imagine how difficult it is. Noone knows what is around the corner & it is very easy to be judgmental of people on SW - & then bang one morning you wake up & are on it & theres no light at the end of the tunnel. A month ago i did think of cancelling christmas & it was others who tried to come up with ways to get by .I do you & your family a good christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Laptop1 wrote: »
    I didn't expect to get any **** like this from anyone out there. There are 6 in the house, €600 per week, rent, utilities ( and I DO have the internet), food and misc. Oh, by the way I have one teenager confined to a wheelchair completely dependant on us 24/7. I myself am disabled. If any of you hypocrits are silly cervants I hope Brian Lenihan screws you all to the ground. You have been too well looked after up to now. Now, cough up. :mad:

Then why did you come on to a forum to discuss it?

In fairness, you did not provide much info to begin with. You should be getting disabilaty allowance if it is genuine but there is no need to take it out on civil service. Well looked after? I would love to see a breakdown of your income and outgoings. That is the only way we can determine what you are entitled to and how you can improve your situation. I am sure you will be able to celebrarte xmas some how but you have to be realistic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

jenzz wrote: »
    As for everyone else.. nada ! Told them all plain & simple Im buying nothing. But just cos im not buying doesnt mean I cant give. Now I am going to give them a recycled gift just from the kids. May be a photo in a frame or some craft the kiddies have made.

Jenzz, definitely, totally 100% go with this.

About 3 years ago my then ~8 yearold niece gave me a framed picture she'd drawn, 2 horseys in a field, snowcapped mountains in the background.

3 years later its still proudly in place on my mantelpiece, whereas all the other tat I've been given over the years has long since gone to the bins/charity shops.

Your kids' Aunts&Uncles would love this sort of present.

We didn't make bad choices, masteroftherealm. It's just that the recession and high taxes levies etc. have hit at an expensive family time. Three students take well over half our take home income to support them €1,200 monthly rent (1 yr. lease) c.€250 for ESB, gas, telephone./broadband, panda rubbish bins etc, €4,500 college reg. fees,and €500 each for food, transport, clothing, books etc.etc. While the headline €100,000 p.a. is indeed an excellent income, we are not left with enough of it to meet our family committments without a serious struggle. Add in our home mortgage, €100 monthly drugs refund bill, and, as Imimmfn says, we at home with 3 children would be nearly as well off on social welfare. However, we see light at the end opf the tunnell - they all won't be students forever, and as some finish, others will leave home to start, and eventually the expenses at home and away will diminish, and there will be other Christmasses! It's just that not all "high earners" should be deemed "the wealthy" without any account taken of family obligations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Are you saying that you are paying for 3 of your offsprings monthly rent, ESB, gas, telephone, broadband, rubbish bins, registration fees, food, transport, clothing and books?

Why? Do you think that is the norm?

Advertisement