Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Christmas this year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

AsianDub wrote: »
    Is it just me in thinking that you get penalised in this county for being successful?
    After today you get penalised for being on low to middle incomes and being on welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Oh seriously your on 100k you ARE NOT struggling as much as you would like to think you are. You chose to have kids, you chose to support those kids through college as opposed to letting them do part time work like all of the other students.
    Those are decisions that you made, none forced you into those decisions, the situation is of your own making.

Come on..... you can look at everyone, and I mean everyone and say that the situation they are in now is of their own making and they chose whatever they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

hellboy99 wrote: »
    After today you get penalised for being on low to middle incomes and being on welfare.

I have a mother and father. one has been made redundant in the last 6 months. Their weekly income has been reduced by exactly €6.51 or €338.52 per year. They were expecting motor tax increases and increases in drink and cigarette prices (1 smokes) none of which materialised and had both of them been working, they would now be in a better position as they would be paying no more tax than currently and retaining an income that would go further.

People on low to middle incomes will see no effect from this budget, they will however see an effect on the money left in their poca at the end of a week as prices continue to decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

i find it hard to believe that you cannot feed yourselves on this countrys social welfare payments.

what are your outgoings?

Internet access for a start, it looks like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

baubl wrote: »
    my children also went to college with children who were receiving all the grants and freebies, but they were farmer and landowner children,

Ah, the farmers, most of them very rich don't you know.....
    I received a grant in college and from a farming family.
    To get a grant you need to submit an audited set of accounts to the VEC. This is probably done through IFAC which you have to pay for.
    Tell me bauble how much you paid to get your P60

At the end of all this, the deadline is in August and you'll lucky to get your grant before December.
    If you're going to blame people for getting grants baubl then blame the VEC for approving the grants and not the farmers and self employed who submitted audited accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

lmimmfn wrote: »
    100k income is not rich, as i said previously its ~63k after tax+levies, in comparison to the poster someone on welfare, unmarried with 3 kids can get 40k on welfare a year( rent allowance + all the other allowances ) + free medical + free grants for the kids college education, how can you say 100k for a couple is rich????

For 1 person earning its rich but not together as a couple, completely different story.

If a couple is earning the net of €100k assuming both are maxmising credits (i.e. each earns in excess of €26,800) is actually €72k, when adjusted for yesterday's budget the net income after Children's Allowance (this time we'll exclude no.3 and leave the 3 smaller kids) is STILL about €6k, so now as a 2 income household your income is up to €78k NET.

Hold on...I'm about to puke!

That's €6.5k a month net. There are shops out there that don't turnover that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Isn't there something wrong though that a person who is on 100k has to get his other half to go out and start working to afford to live a realitively comfortable life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Anto123

MaceFace wrote: »
    Isn't there something wrong though that a person who is on 100k has to get his other half to go out and start working to afford to live a realitively comfortable life?

To be fair, a family where 4 adults don't have to work, spread across two homes where it seems they have always been spending right up to the limit of a high paying job is already more that 'relatively' comfortable.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

I am not suggesting tax payers should subsidise anything really but think about it - the Irish were renowned for having large families and almost everything today is cheaper relatively than it was 20 years ago. We seriously have to ask why 100k is not enough to support 8 people when we are supposed to have free education. It is a hell of a lot of money.

I don't think the guy was asking for more money or anything but simply pointing out that just because you earn 100k a year does not make you rich - it depends on your circumstances.

Anto123 wrote: »
    To be fair, a family where 4 adults don't have to work, spread across two homes where it seems they have always been spending right up to the limit of a high paying job is already more that 'relatively' comfortable.

What chance do normal folk have of sending their kids to third level?

Most students have to move to a different town/city to attend college.
    Many parents have kids of a similar age so may have to support multiple students.

Looking at normal folk where household income is <50k, are they expected to tell their kids that they can only send one of them to college?

IMHO attending third level education should be a basic right regardless of your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Anto123

Many parents have kids of a similar age so may have to support multiple students.

Looking at normal folk where household income is <50k, are they expected to tell their kids that they can only send one of them to college?

IMHO attending third level education should be a basic right regardless of your income.

I don't disagree with you at all.

My only point was that if you can afford all that out of your regular salary then you are financially well off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

This sort of attitude annoys me so much.

My parents were on benefits in the late '80's when I went to University.
    I got £900 a year grant. I worked in 3 different bar jobs during the week, and found labouring jobs for £20 per day during the summer.

Granted, this money was from a different time. But wages have increased since then.

All these jobs got me through Uni. My parents couldn't afford to support me. It gave me a great lesson in life and has stood me well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I currently have about 50 quid a week to live on in after travel etc and live about 85km from college. It's tough going but it's doable, up at 6 4 days a week and 7 the other. With the changes in the budget I may well have to drop out in September unless I can find a job, can you take a wild guess which one it'll be if I can possibly manage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

ninty9er wrote: »
    There are people who do this, but there is nobody that NEEDS to do this. Even after a 4% cut next week, our welfare payments will STILL be too generous.

Honestly I find that slighly angering. I don't think this is true at all. I'm due a baby in 12 weeks and am on dissability allownce. With the budget cuts I get very stressed as I don't know how I'll manage on my own with a baby...honestly the cost of living hasn't come down THAT much, with people so screwed for cash you would think things would be a little lower than what they are now. We're still getting ****ed over (excuse the language!) when you compare our current prices to a lot of other places in Europe.

I hate having to be on social welfare. Not only is it demeaning, but depressing...like someone else said, I live the same 24 hours over by times.

There should be more incentive to get people back to work. Obviously I won't be able to work for a while with a baby on the way not long after christmas....but where is the incentive after that? For education or the work place? On my own with a baby, getting by with the little money I get how the hell am I going to be able to afford to work or go back to college? I can't afford day care. Bottom line...I can't afford to work.

Maybe thats something the Government should think about spending some money on....low budget/free day care (as opposed to ****ing counting frogs!!).

And before anyone says it...I cancelled my internet months ago. People can get on the internet without paying for it in their homes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hacked wrote: »
    Honestly I find that slighly angering. I don't think this is true at all. I'm due a baby in 12 weeks and am on dissability allownce. With the budget cuts I get very stressed as I don't know how I'll manage on my own with a baby...honestly the cost of living hasn't come down THAT much, with people so screwed for cash you would think things would be a little lower than what they are now. We're still getting ****ed over (excuse the language!) when you compare our current prices to a lot of other places in Europe.

I hate having to be on social welfare. Not only is it demeaning, but depressing...like someone else said, I live the same 24 hours over by times.

There should be more incentive to get people back to work. Obviously I won't be able to work for a while with a baby on the way not long after christmas....but where is the incentive after that? For education or the work place? On my own with a baby, getting by with the little money I get how the hell am I going to be able to afford to work or go back to college? I can't afford day care. Bottom line...I can't afford to work.

Maybe thats something the Government should think about spending some money on....low budget/free day care (as opposed to ****ing counting frogs!!).

And before anyone says it...I cancelled my internet months ago. People can get on the internet without paying for it in their homes. ;)

Why do you need to be insetivised to work?

is providing for your child not enough?

self respect?

to set a good example for your kids?

when people post these i start off having some empathy but by the end of the post the same aul sorry story "wow is me, won't someone help me"

We spend millions every year on training, as far as i'm aware there is creche services offered in a lot of FAS centre's (if not your right there should be)

Babies are not babies for long, there's no reason not to find part time work, once they're in education also.

There's also courses you can do at home where you will be posted the information required and you can do it in your own time.

There's plenty of answers out there but if your expecting other people to find them for you, you're in for a bit of a shock

sweetie, ive not had anything handed to me my entire life. Nor do I sit on my ass feeling sorry for myself. I'm due a baby in a couple of weeks and freaking out a bit, but hey...looking into my finances over and over, it IS going to be difficult to go back.

I do have a plan. Night course hopefully leading on to more. All I'm saying is I'm hoping that daycare comes down in price. I'm not asking to be handed a THING. What im saying is this country is seriously ****ed up. What i'm saying is the price they ask for things is ridiculous.

What im hoping for is that they will realise the amount they ask for is ridiculous so that it's not incredibly difficult to work out what to do with the child during the day.

For gods sake. I thought it wsa pretty straight forward. Give people an incentive by charging prices that are actually somewhat realistic. In my way of thinking wouldn't that prevent as many people needing hand outs?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

muboop1 wrote: »

For 166 a month plus other benefits, i could keep a child fed and clothed. Medical supplies wud be covered by medical card... shelter by rent allowance. heat by bill subsiderys...

Just wondering... what do you mean by 'heat by bill subsiderys..' one of my biggest worries is paying electricity & heating bills, well that and being almost €30,000 in debt....

danman wrote: »

I got £900 a year grant. I worked in 3 different bar jobs during the week, and found labouring jobs for £20 per day during the summer.

Granted, this money was from a different time. But wages have increased since then.

All these jobs got me through Uni. My parents couldn't afford to support me. It gave me a great lesson in life and has stood me well.

Some things have changed since then: rental costs have gone through the roof & part time jobs are almost non-existent.
    Even though there was college fees back in the 80s, many lower income families could avoid them through grants. Today that is not possible as the standard registration fee is 1500 and there is no avoiding that.

Given the way the country is today and the lack of jobs available, I imagine many people will either drop out of college or not be able to attend because their parents can't afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

i would have been in the same boat danman and people can do it for themselves instead of depending on the parents !
    danman wrote: »

there is banks maceface they are always wanting to give students loans for their education if you look at engerland and usa student loans are a big thing !

sweetie, ive not had anything handed to me my entire life. Nor do I sit on my ass feeling sorry for myself. I'm due a baby in a couple of weeks and freaking out a bit, but hey...looking into my finances over and over, it IS going to be difficult to go back.

I do have a plan. Night course hopefully leading on to more. All I'm saying is I'm hoping that daycare comes down in price. I'm not asking to be handed a THING. What im saying is this country is seriously ****ed up. What i'm saying is the price they ask for things is ridiculous.

What im hoping for is that they will realise the amount they ask for is ridiculous so that it's not incredibly difficult to work out what to do with the child during the day.

For gods sake. I thought it wsa pretty straight forward. Give people an incentive by charging prices that are actually somewhat realistic. In my way of thinking wouldn't that prevent as many people needing hand outs?

Private day care centre's will ask what they think people are willing to pay, over the last number of years with such low unemployment rates and high wages people could afford to pay these rates. it's how the world works, demand demand demand.

child care costs have come down, granted they're still exspensive but they're heading down.

When the demand drops of and people can't afford their prices they'll reduce them.

You could look at alternatives like taking in au'pair which can reduce the overall cost. with the amount of people out of work i'm sure finding who could do with a few hours won't be much of a problem

as i said there's always many soloutions

ok "sweetie" ?

ntlbell wrote: »
    Private day care centre's will ask what they think people are willing to pay, over the last number of years with such low unemployment rates and high wages people could afford to pay these rates. it's how the world works, demand demand demand.

child care costs have come down, granted they're still exspensive but they're heading down.

When the demand drops of and people can't afford their prices they'll reduce them.

You could look at alternatives like taking in au'pair which can reduce the overall cost. with the amount of people out of work i'm sure finding who could do with a few hours won't be much of a problem

as i said there's always many soloutions

ok "sweetie" ?

Do you get a kick out of acting the prick? Or trying to upset hormonal women?

I don't think there is anything unreasonable with my thought. I've lived a number of places around the world, and the reality is that Ireland is a ridiculously expensive country.

I'm not sitting around being helpless. (Well, for now I have no choice but to sit!) I made a statement a lot of people would agree with....and honestly do not see why I am being attacked for having a rather valid opinion.

The way you talk alone would make anyone reliase you are probably not the person to take suggestions from. I'll leave that up to the people who have gone and done it before me.

I don't think there is anything unreasonable with my thought. I've lived a number of places around the world, and the reality is that Ireland is a ridiculously expensive country.

I'm not sitting around being helpless. (Well, for now I have no choice but to sit!) I made a statement a lot of people would agree with....and honestly do not see why I am being attacked for having a rather valid opinion.

The way you talk alone would make anyone reliase you are probably not the person to take suggestions from. I'll leave that up to the people who have gone and done it before me.

May I ask what your disability is and for how long you've had it?

My dissability is bipolar disorder among other things which I have battled for 15 years.

however, if you are referring to the sitting remark...i am 7 months pregnant

cmon guys this country is unreal for it's high living ! As soon as we changed over from the punt to the euro people just explouted it ! And then it just went up and up and my rent actually went up this year the esb and the gas went down but it will be soon going up ! I have always done the clothes shopping in pennies i do the grocery shopping in lidi ! Childcare costs are something else i send 130 every 4 weeks for 2 mornings a week 3hours each for darling daughter to attend playschool ! I'd be out of this country if i could only for family i'm help look after my mum and my nan & aunt , i also receive nothing off my childrens father but that argument is for another day !

No, this is a discussion forum, I'm discussing your posts.

It is, it's also had almost 100% employment and much higher salary's.

If the average ind wage in bulguaria is 5k a year, they can't charge 12k for child care?

When wages are high products/services tend to be higher.

There's a lot of people think a virgin had a baby, wisdom in crowds? the fact people agree or disgree with you doesn't make you right, in fact I never stated you were wrong.

You're probably right.

I don't have any easy answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

lmimmfn wrote: »
    last i checked christmas wasnt mandatory to living?, and i really dont think social welfare is geared towards splurging at christmas time, i think the original concept behind social welfare was to provide a basic standard of living for families where one or both parents are unemployed, i.e. provide food, accomodation and clothing for families

I could be wrong though, Christmas obviously seems to have become as essential as food now?

Are you serious?? you would actually begrudge someone a basic Christmas...?? No-one is talking about splurging but a few basics...

Yeah you can take away all the extras but would you really call it surviving??

What about the huge cost to the tax payer in terms of mental health, homelessness, broken families etc

I can't believe the begrudgery & hate, we are talking about families, children, OAPs etc here... anyone could be in this situation, ANYONE... all it takes it a flip of fate, one day you are in a good job with a mortgage, car loan etc which you can handle easy enough & the next you are unemployed with no hope of paying your debts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

hellboy99 wrote: »

Look at it this way,

after today you are not being rewarded as much for being on low to middle incomes and being on welfare.

Advertisement