Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Autumn Exam Thread - all exam related info in here!

• 06-12-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Its that time of the year again folks...

The past 13 weeks of random house parties, late nights, copius consumption of alcohol, meeting deadlines at the last minute, making the odd 9am lecture, etc...have all boiled down to sitting these autumn semester exams.

I have only 2 exams to sit myself, and I'm procrastinating like there is no tomorrow, but feck it, I'll start later! :rolleyes:

I'd like to wish everyone the very best with their exams. I hope you all do great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

At last the time has come for me to no longer miss being a student! :pac:

That :D

Anyways. If there's anything we can do for you in the SU call in or come find us in the CG corridor opposite the Library where we'll be from time to time for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

I rather the xmas exams more than the summer exams, it's a more studious atmosphere :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 UL_Girl

What exactly can you bring/not bring into the exam hall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

UL_Girl wrote: »
    What exactly can you bring/not bring into the exam hall?

http://www.ulsu.ie/news/exams

Basically you can bring in basic stationary, your id and a bottle of water. Bags have to be left outside or at the top of the room. Phones must be turned off and placed on the floor

Ask your lecturer about things like calculators

Pens! :p

Depends on the exam - some examiners allow dictionarys. I would hazard 99% of exams in UL are closed book, which means that it's just you, the exam paper, a script and your pen. Obviously for accounting/maths/finance it's helpful to have a calculator. The invigilators will make you take the cover off it as well as making you put your pencil case on the floor. Can't bring your bag or any notes into the exam hall with you either. Water and mints and stuff are allowed as long as you aren't disturbing anyone. Don't turn up with your packed lunch andd expect to be allowed eat it halfway into the exam though! :P

Basically pens, water, calculator and you can't go far wrong.

Oh and one major thing I nearly forgot - you UL id card, you won't be allowed sit the exam without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hear you have to put your phone (off of course) on the ground beside you.

This true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭maryjm

can anyone tell me where I could find a map of the main building! I have an exam in there and am never in there so wanna find out how to get to it! thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

bazkennedy wrote: »

Basically you can bring in basic stationary, your id and a bottle of water. Bags have to be left outside or at the top of the room. Phones must be turned off and placed on the floor

Ask your lecturer about things like calculators

I hear you have to put your phone (off of course) on the ground beside you.

This true?

There you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

i don't think there's an online map but there's maps in all stairwells, what room no. is on your timetable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭maryjm

Its in C 1058-62 Thanks

• Advertisement

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    There you go!

haha not my first epic fail. :pac:

Cheers! :D

Go in the entrance at the tower directly opposite The Stables back archway and go to level 1. Turn left and you're there.

Make sure your hands don't have ANYTHING written on them or you WILL be brought before University Discipline for academic cheating.

This includes ALL writing such as:

"milk, bread"

"C1058", "PESS 9am" etc...

Have NOTHING on you bar clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

1st one here done:)

..................now thinking thats not a good sign:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

1st one here done:)

..................now thinking thats not a good sign:(

That was quick! If it was a multiple choice exam, it's all good (you obviously knew your stuff). If it was essay-based...yeah...

My first is tomorrow at nine, I'm feeling okay about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 youngshea

ah yeah you just got to love those bubble sheet exams! spending more time calculating how many you need to get right to pass then actually studying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Discovered that most of the solutions from past papers and tutorial questions from my lecturer are actually incorrect! :(

I have spent most of the day re-doing all the questions in order to get the correct answers - I suppose its probably the best study technique I've used to date, but feck it!!

Roll on the 16th and my exams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

*shudder* Exams!! I don't start till Friday but had a couple of appointments today so was wandering around. All the students in the immediate run up to the exams cramming in corridors and the endless rows of desks in EGO-10 and the heartless invigilators running around...*cry* I seriously hate exams...

So much for happy X-mas. :(

</self-pity>

Seriously, though any one else have an irrational fear of exams. I looked at EGO-10 today and it was like staring a spider in the face. :eek:

9am exam tomorrow and despite promising myself it would not happen again after the summer exams I am yet again in a position that requires an all nighter. :(

Chat ya later boards, must study!

on at 9....
    after 4 years of this you would think I wouldnt be panicing and procrastionating.

But here I am, sh*tting it and posting on boards with 8 and a half hours to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

The Education and Welfare drop-in clinic runs everyday from 1-3 in the CG corridor, accross from the library. If you've any questions about the exams/stress/mental and physical health, you can catch myself and Derek there, as well as in our offices.

The SU Relaxation Room is open upstairs in the Union Building if you want to relax for a while during studying or after exams.

We're also distributing water to the exam centres as much as possible.

1 down 3 to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Yay! Happy out with this morning's one, but I'm told the lecturer is a tough marker. Ah well! A Celebratory Hot Chicken Roll is called for here.

**** **** ****ity ****.

You'd think after sitting 4 sets of Law exams I'd have some concept of timing but no... :(

That and the temporary mind blanks. Hate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

2 down, 3 to go. The fact that that I was full of Blue Bear, Coke and water, and have a bladder the size of a grape really didn't help :o

The worst is over with.

Risk, HR and Maths left, and I don't really give a crap about HR, so it's all good :)

Mini rant alert:
    Argh. I was waiting outside EGO10 today for Economics today, and there was this girl talking very loudly about the Wrestler, and 2 other girls talking very loudly about the Finance exam yesterday.
    :mad:
    Shush!!! I was trying to look over formulas!!

Mini rant alert:
    Argh. I was waiting outside EGO10 today for Economics today, and there was this girl talking very loudly about the Wrestler, and 2 other girls talking very loudly about the Finance exam yesterday.
    :mad:
    Shush!!! I was trying to look over formulas!!

Tell them to stfu :pac:

cson wrote: »
    Tell them to stfu :pac:

I'm too polite :o
    :P

Microeconomics (EC4101) was difficult. :(

Macroeconomics is easier. Promise :)
    And Economics for Business is good too, although slightly depressing... But you'll have a great lecturer :)

Also, Micro is the hardest module, from what I can remember, so you're over the worst now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Thought so too. Will be a borderline case I feel. Serves me right for doing **** all and thinking I can get away with it.

Advertisement