Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Autumn Exam Thread - all exam related info in here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Niamhy23

Does anyone know what the pass rate is for U.L? 40%? I'e been here 2 years and I'm still not sure. So if anyones has the grade table please let me know. Screwed for these exams :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I wish I had read this thread before my exam this morning.
    Didn't realise about the importance of the student ID till I was signing in at 5 to 9.
    Thank Christ I had brought my purse with it in it but another girl wasn't so lucky :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

Niamhy23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the pass rate is for U.L? 40%? I'e been here 2 years and I'm still not sure. So if anyones has the grade table please let me know. Screwed for these exams :eek:

Letter grade % equivalent
    A1 75+ 1, first class honours
    A2 70-74 1
    B1 65-69 2.1, second class honours, grade 1
    B2 60-64 2.1
    B3 55-59 2.2, second class honours, grade 2
    C1 50-54 2.2
    C2 45-49 Pass
    C3 40-44 Pass
    D1 35-39 Compensation fail
    D2 30-34 Compensation fail
    F <30 Non-compensation fail

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do better than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

For what it's worth - i'm in 4th year, have done economics every semester and have never had an exam harder than microeconomics in 1st year. Don't worry lads it gets easier. Macro is easier next semester and then halfway through second year the negatively marked multiple choicers are gone and its down to economics essays.

Sweet, thanks a mill. It all seems a little more achievable now. Roll on the 18th :p:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

One down 3 to go. Fairly happy with the first one but the worst have yet to come. Not on til next tuesday....and im not sure if its a good or bad thing!!

Of course they'd change the exam format the year I did the module...absolute sham of an exam. :confused: Yeah I think its worse if youve a big gap between exams cos you get lazy!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

anyone else in 1st business who thinks communications is a bit of a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

anyone else in 1st business who thinks communications is a bit of a joke?

2nd year, the general consensus is that it is complete ****e :)

2nd year, the general consensus is that it is complete ****e :)

Wait...........I have to do it again in 2nd year!:eek:

• Advertisement

Wait...........I have to do it again in 2nd year!:eek:

Oh no!! Sorry. I just mean I did it last year, and everyone agreed that it was a load of!:)

There's a bit of an overlap of it in Organisational Behaviour and HR though.

Whoo. Just goes to show much i learnt from the listening chapter i just studied

Whoo. Just goes to show much i learnt from the listening chapter i just studied

:pac:

OB is a little more interesting though, promise :)

And if you have the same lecturer that I had...you will be watching a lot of The Office clips ;)

It's kind of hard to study for exams when you have very little interest in any of the modules :(

Sweeeeeeeeeeet love that show.

Yeah but at least we have the option of not going

Sweeeeeeeeeeet love that show.

Yeah but at least we have the option of not going

Oh yeah, it's the American one though...if that makes any difference.

I don't know if you will have the girl I had last semester (who's name I can't for the life of me remember :o)

But yeah there is some pretty interesting stuff there, a lot about classical conditioning and stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Mr. reeves ireland and the world economy over with - haha grand out! Same paper every year or near enough.

Healthcare sociology tomorrow at 9 - social theories just suck the fun out of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

I hate communications i havent been into barley any lectures hopefully i can bs the exam and whats up with the grades for our presentation we were told we were one of the best groups and only got 20 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wonderingabout

I've missed two exams this week because i've been sick. I know i'll have to sit them in August & i have a medical cert. But does anyone know exactly what i have to do to get an igarde?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Go to SAA. They will be able to advise you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

No more exams until wednesday. only one am worried about is culture and new media, and InDesign practical next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've missed two exams this week because i've been sick. I know i'll have to sit them in August & i have a medical cert. But does anyone know exactly what i have to do to get an igarde?
    contact sueducation@ul.ie or 0860435302.

Either way, it's not SAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

Niamh_ wrote: »
    Letter grade % equivalent
    A1 75+ 1, first class honours
    A2 70-74 1
    B1 65-69 2.1, second class honours, grade 1
    B2 60-64 2.1
    B3 55-59 2.2, second class honours, grade 2
    C1 50-54 2.2
    C2 45-49 Pass
    C3 40-44 Pass
    D1 35-39 Compensation fail
    D2 30-34 Compensation fail
    F <30 Non-compensation fail

This grade table only applies in some cases. It is the most common but not used universally across the college. Contact the lecturer for the percentage to grade breakdown to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

As 99er said, text me on 086-0435302, we can meet up and I'll talk you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Have two exams done.
    The first went pretty good but today was a complete disaster. I'm already planning for the repeats.
    Tomorrow should fine so long as I do a bit of cramming and same as for Saturday.
    It is a bit of pressure having three in a row, but at least they're all over and done with in a short amount of time.

I really can't wait to go out on Saturday night! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Baalbec

ULstudent wrote: »
    Mr. reeves ireland and the world economy over with - haha grand out! Same paper every year or near enough.

Healthcare sociology tomorrow at 9 - social theories just suck the fun out of life.

Speaking of ireland in the world economy;its done and dusted now, but pretty disappointed with the structure of how the module was examined from the word go,..knew my 3 topics inside out really but found it difficult to get 3 good quality essays down on paper in 2.5 hours!!But this wouldnt normally bother me,as there have been modules like before and everybody's in the same boat; only he eluded to this being down to "budget issues" in his first lecture,hence no tutorial hours,...and no 20% essay before the main exam??....any insights?

Oh my god. No more HR, EVER!!! :D:D:D

I finished it in about 30 minutes aswell.

But seriously, I am just glad to see the back of a horrible, horrible module. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

Whats a compensation fail ?is this when you fail one exam but pass the rest you will be brought up ? will you still have to do repeats ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

MiciG91 wrote: »
    Whats a compensation fail ?is this when you fail one exam but pass the rest you will be brought up ? will you still have to do repeats ? Thanks

No, a compensating fail is a grade D2 or D1..You do not have to repeat these modules as long as your QCA for the year is above 2.0

However, if your QCA is below 2.0 for the year, then these are ones you probably should repeat.

If you outright fail a module, i.e. receive a grade E, F or NG, then you have to repeat that module if you wish to progress to the next semester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Baalbec wrote: »
    Speaking of ireland in the world economy;its done and dusted now, but pretty disappointed with the structure of how the module was examined from the word go,..knew my 3 topics inside out really but found it difficult to get 3 good quality essays down on paper in 2.5 hours!!But this wouldnt normally bother me,as there have been modules like before and everybody's in the same boat; only he eluded to this being down to "budget issues" in his first lecture,hence no tutorial hours,...and no 20% essay before the main exam??....any insights?

Is I.W.E still a 2.5 hour lecture and no tutorial then?
    I dont think thats budget cuts, thats the way the module has been done for years afaik, it most certainly was like that on the old BBS course [which just finished in May '09].
    We had no projects, just a 100% exam, and had to write 3 essays in 2.5 hours..

Most people didnt even bother showing up to the lecturers and just got past answers and learnt them off...a waste of a module imo.

Advertisement