Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Autumn Exam Thread - all exam related info in here!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

thats pretty much what i did -went to two lectures and flew threw that exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Sooo stayed up last night till 4 am trying to look for something to study for Irish Literary Revival and was very unsuccessful so set my alarm for 8 to try cram for a few hours, double checked where the exam was and seen SATURDAY THE 12TH. good lord, I am braindead. At least I have another day to actually find lecture notes, and study them. On the topic does anyone does this module because I really need a bit of advice!:D, Now back to bed with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm mainly using the tutorial articles off SULIS. I found a few books on Yeats in the library and thats all I have.

They made it pretty clear whats coming up anyway. Workload isnt too severe

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I'm mainly using the tutorial articles off SULIS. I found a few books on Yeats in the library and thats all I have.

They made it pretty clear whats coming up anyway. Workload isnt too severe

Would you mind telling me what they said was gonna come up, or anything I could focus on i would really appreciate it!! cheers :)

Copypasta from my lecture notes

Irish Literary Revival
    -Exam
    -Second half of module
    -Two sections
    Poetry of WB Yeats – Section A
    1 . Nationalism and national identity
    2. Yeats and portrayal of women
    3. “The Dead” and the Irish Literary Revival
    Yeats poems: The Stolen Child/ No Second Troy/ September 1913/ Easter 1916/ On a Political Prisoner/ In Memory of Eva Gore-Booth and Con Markiewicz / Coole Park 1929 / A Prayer for My Daughter / Man and the Echo / Under Ben Bulben
    Plays: On Baile’s Strand and Cathleen ni Houlihan

George Moore’s prose – Section B

-Section A
    One out of three questions – 1 hour

-Section B
    One of two questions – 1 hour
    Tutorial articles will be relevant
    -Write both questions in different exam scripts

TL;DR:
    2 questions on Yeats in section A. 1 question on "The Dead"
    2 questions on George Moore (Untilled Field and Drama in Muslin)

AFAIK, we can do both of our 2 Qs from Section A, or we can only do one from Section B and one from A... although my notes seem to contradict that for some reason..

There is a good book in the library for the Yeats and potrayal of women question called "Gender and History in Yeats Love poetry". I have it atm but will be returning it in a few mins. If you get your hands on it, look up the chapter "Shrill voices and accursed opinions"

• Advertisement

mindkiller you are my hero, thank you VERY much, I hope you do great in the exam :D:D

That was all very clear and doesnt seem too hard, I'm sure I'll manage it, but I cannot figure out what "The Dead" is?! Fairly obvious I thought I could wing this module, won't make that mistake again haha

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Mossin wrote: »
    Is I.W.E still a 2.5 hour lecture and no tutorial then?
    I dont think thats budget cuts, thats the way the module has been done for years afaik, it most certainly was like that on the old BBS course [which just finished in May '09].
    We had no projects, just a 100% exam, and had to write 3 essays in 2.5 hours..

Most people didnt even bother showing up to the lecturers and just got past answers and learnt them off...a waste of a module imo.

I liked it tbh!!!!! THought it was interesting.

Here are the questions and notes on the Dead that they put on SULIS. Thats what Im going off mainly

A few articles that can be found easily enough on JSTOR get mentioned in it.
    The wk12 tutorial articles on the Dead on SULIS are handy enough as well, but some of them are awfully dense... :(

saviour! you have just saved my ass bigtime:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Day 10 of study and still havent sat an exam...I'm so bored of it all right now!

Tomorrow 9am almost cant come soon enough! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Tomorrow 9am almost cant come soon enough! :(

I really hate the "I wish the exam was now" feeling! Is anyone else in Marketing Intelligence?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Anyone do first year non-business economics today?!...hope to christ negative marking is stopped...or else:(

Mr. K wrote: »
    I really hate the "I wish the exam was now" feeling!

A little over 12 hours to go to my exam, and I'm streaming the Man Utd game instead of revising my essays..

I hope I can relate the game to my answers somehow :pac:

A less than productive last 3 hours has seen me watch Man Utd win, and following that proceed to the Stables for 3 nice pints of Guinness!
    You'd almost think I didnt have an exam at 9am in the morning, but you'd be wrong, and you'd be even more wrong if you think I've studied enough... :(

Fingers crossed that I even wake up in time tomorrow! :cool:

Fingers crossed that I even wake up in time tomorrow! :cool:

I'm awake! So this is what before 8am looks like! God its eerie and dark! :p
    If only my exam was an English exam...

Oh well, time to cram for an hour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

How'd it go?

ninty9er wrote: »
    How'd it go?

It went pretty well, but as always it could have gone better!
    I'm just happy to have sat an exam, the waiting around has been a killer...
    Now, just one left Friday morning @ 9am..then freedom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Just wondering do you have to cite in exams? Say your exam is two essay questions, must they be fully cited? Because if so...

In my 5 years in UL doing exams I have NEVER cited or referenced anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Treetirty wrote: »
    Just wondering do you have to cite in exams? Say your exam is two essay questions, must they be fully cited? Because if so...

No- but if you can say "As Smith says, xxxxxx" or "x theory,as propounded by Jones..." that looks a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

A few 'Gobbits' a-la "The History Boys" never go astray :3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A few 'Gobbits' a-la "The History Boys" never go astray :3
    Ironically, in a play packed with gobbits (I wondered if Alan Bennett was being ironic there).

You're probably not wrong though (unfortunately).

In my 5 years in UL doing exams I have NEVER cited or referenced anything!

I thought we didn't have to either, but in the last two years lecturers have suggested we do so. It looks good, like you've actually done the readings! I'm reading (and re-reading) several articles this evening.

9.5 hours to go until my final exam of this exhausting semester!

Financing for SME's or something like that...its just accounting once again, and I'm hoping it'll be grand...

I'm FINISHED!!! :D

Good luck to those still doing exams [Petee I'm looking at you kiddo!]

Good luck with the results as well everyone as well!

finished my 41st exam in UL :D

I'm finished now too, what a feeling! I believe that if one could somehow bottle this, they'd make millions. Doesn't last, but it's a nice hour or so of relief.

Good luck to those still working, not long to go now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Basking in the warm glow of finishedness.

It's like peeing yourself; everybody can see it but only you can feel the warmth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

LOL!! Thats an interesting outlook you have there cson :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Mixed bag today...am finished (OMFG woooOOO) but had to go to hospital straight afterwards - and anyone who knows me knows I'm a docophobe >w< yuck but I'm done, yay!

Next semester - it'll be different...

Advertisement