Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VW Crafter Conversion Advice Please!

• 06-12-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I am at the early stages of planning a conversion, and have been reading over old threads and learning loads - thanks a mill. Can someone please signpost me to where I can get the info I will need re meeting all regulations. I
    have a cat b license, and plan top go for the under 3.5tonne so that I can use the cat b licenses, just couldnt face the thought and hassle of doing my test again - took me 5 times first time round!
    Anyhow, does anybody know if I could use a crafter and still qualify for the under 3.5 tonne catagory?? It would just be me and one mate using the van, so I dont have loads of people to transit. ALL info really apprecited. Nuala

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The majority of Crafter models would be plated for 3.5 tons (or under). Just make sure that you buy the right model and that you don't fit lead cabinets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 donegalnuala

Hi Peasant, thanks for the info, I get what your saying - just not sure what 'plated' means?
    I am a total novice - a single woman trying to do this on my own so I have no man with acquired knowledge to help me! I like the idea of the sprinter or crafter as they offer the size and space to have a very comfortable camper with all the bits we ladies like - showers, toilets, etc. Maybe Im thinking too big? This vechile will also act as my daily transport, and I will be driving through Sligo town day and daily. I like the look of the T4/T5s, but they just seem too small. I will also be trying to attract my girlie mates to accompany me to the festivals, on weekends in lahinch, etc - so I kinda need something to entice them to come along - so many women just cant hack roughing it! My plan is to buy a van, as yet I havnt settled on a make or model, but anyhow I will most likely take one out of the UK, as my brother goes over regularly and buys vehicles on peoples behalves, and takes them over for them. Im then hoping that my cousins husband will take on the conversion, hes never done one before, but he and his sons are great crafts men and petrol heads so I reckon they would do a fab job - but of course I will have to see what kind of price he comes up with. The plan is to have the van converted and to a high standard for less than I would have to pay for one, so we will see! I intend to source the kit required myself, as Im a bit of a tomboy and for me that will be half the craic of this project. Im sure I will be picking your brains again soon, thanks again! Nuala:confused:

"plated" means that on the manufacturers plate that states the vehicle number there will also be a gross vehicle weight (= vehicle + max load) of 3500 kg.

This is what the vehicle is licenced for.

If the plated gvw is higher (3850 kg for example) you may not drive it with a B licence, even if the vehicle itself actually weighs in at under 3500 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

Your license covers u to drive a vehicle upto 3.5 tonne if it weighs under that dont see the problem with having a plate marked over that especially as camper vans dont have a pay load area. They are not a truck or a bus either and have asked a garda about what licence and they did not see a problem with a car licence. I have a sprinter conversion which i did myself

Your license covers u to drive a vehicle upto 3.5 tonne if it weighs under that dont see the problem with having a plate marked over that

The problem would be that it is illegal and that you could be done for driving without a licence (so pretty serious)

A class B licence only covers
    Vehicles with seats for up to 8 passengers and a maximum weight of 3,500kg
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland

The maximum weight is the gross vehicle weight, or GVW and that's what's stated on the plate.

In some countries on the continent you could get into really hot water, if caught driving without a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 donegalnuala

Hi Peasant, thanks for clearing that up for me, must get the info and go throught it myself in fine detail - Im just being a lazy bugger asking the very basics. I see you included a link to the CIS website so will have a look at that. As for Merc Camper, thanks for your input too - we're all learning, eh?! :confused:

Advertisement