Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - not shown BER

Options
  • 06-12-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've posted this problem in another forum but thought people here might understand the BER situation better...

Myself and my wife live in a rented apartment (c. 1930s I think) - two bedroom, top floor, one apartment below and one to the side. The place is really big with high ceilings and a nice layout. The problem is that it is always freezing. The walls are concrete (little to no insulation) and the heating is storage heating - not powerful enough to heat the rooms due to the rate heat escapes through the walls!! And it's expensive too.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what we should do? We weren't shown a BER Cert when we signed the lease in July (didn't know that we were supposed to have been at the time) - is that a grounds for canceling the lease? Or getting rent reduced?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

By law you should have been given a printed copy of the BER Cert before you made the decision to sign the lease.
    However I have to say the law is being ignored most of the time.
    If you threatened to take a test case you would be doing BER assessors a big favour, and you might frighten the landlord into cancelling the lease. Then you could rent somewhere else warmer and probably cheaper, as rents are falling.

Alternatively, tell the landlord the above plan now, then wait a few days.
    A new scheme will be announced after the budget; "Pay as you Save".
    Tell the landlord you will stay if he signs up for it. In theory it means neither of you will pay for the necessary upgrade work, though you will have to put up with the disruption. The cost would appear on your utility bill and be written off against energy savings.

Advertisement