Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Pre or Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO or N97 or?

• 06-12-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hoping you guys can offer some advice in which phone I should go for as my upgrade. Currently I use a Nokia E71. Before that I had an E61i and an E61 before that.

Things that are important to me in a phone are:
    - Phone (with speakerphone) and SMS
    - Push email (i.e. phone to automatically poll for new mail and 'beep' to alert me that new mail has arrived)
    - Internet browsing
    - GPS
    - Bluetooth
    - Camera with video

Despite my past loyalty to Nokia, I find their software (or o2's software on the Nokia?) frustrating for push email and so I now use the gmail mobile client on the phone and have an autoforward set up from my own domain to gmail. I would much rather have the email from my own domain pushed to the native email client on the new phone.

The man in the O2 shop suggested an iPhone, or a Palm Pre, or a Nokia N97 or a Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO. I quite liked the feel and the user interface of the Palm Pre, but it doesn't seem to have video camera (although I understand there might be an app for it?). The N97 seems to be quite bricky. Anyone have any advice on which one to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

HTC hero, the meteor Heros's aren't flashed with any network software it might be worth a look.

e72 is only available sim free at the moment but if you buy it that way it's not flashed with any stupid o2 firmware. It's nealry worth the extra few quid.

tbh, i'd rate your e71 up there with all the phones you mentioned. What I wouldn't rate is what o2 done to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

mate i had an n97 for 4 weeks dont go near them iphone all the way, htc is great but meteor dont have 3g network speeds in limerick so net usage aint great but yeah pre/iphone/hero and yeah theres an app for the pre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

iPhone doesn't have proper push email though? (Read it in a video review earlier by PhoneDog)

The Hero or N97 Mini(what the original N97 should've been) are two great options.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

rizzee wrote: »
    The Hero or N97 Mini(what the original N97 should've been) are two great options.

I don't think either of them is available on o2 though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ah sorry, I must have read-over the first line in post #1! :pac:

Why dont you get a upgrade, sell it on, then buy an unlocked Hero or N97m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

itsmine wrote: »
    I don't think either of them is available on o2 though?

would it save you money to switch, what deal have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Had the Omnia Pro B7610 in my hand recently, it's a nice bit of kit. Not alot of reviews out there at the moment as it has just arrived in the shops but the little I have seen are glowing in their phrase for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

caspa307 wrote: »
    mate i had an n97 for 4 weeks dont go near them iphone all the way, htc is great but meteor dont have 3g network speeds in limerick so net usage aint great but yeah pre/iphone/hero and yeah theres an app for the pre

Heard Meteor are launching in Limerick this week.

Advertisement