Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synthesizers

• 06-12-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm just starting out in the world of synths. I was in X-Music the otherday looking at various ones and have been doing a bit of research and at the moment I'm between the Roland SH 201 and the Korg MicroKorg. There's no particular type of sound I'm looking for but would like one for experimentattion and that's value for money. I have a budget of around 400.

Would basicallylike some advice, reviews and even if people have other recommended synths for around the same price.

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Groe wrote: »
    I'm just starting out in the world of synths. I was in X-Music the otherday looking at various ones and have been doing a bit of research and at the moment I'm between the Roland SH 201 and the Korg MicroKorg. There's no particular type of sound I'm looking for but would like one for experimentattion and that's value for money. I have a budget of around 400.

Would basicallylike some advice, reviews and even if people have other recommended synths for around the same price.

Thanks in advance.:)

Tbh, I'd get any of a number of Novation Nova's that are on adverts atm. Synth I started off using and has massive amounts of configurability and, more importantly, polyphony. The MicroKorg and SH-201 are reedy and way way overpriced. In terms of newer synths maybe something like a Novation X-Station or Waldorf Blofeld+controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

firstly does it need to be hardware?

if not there are some great free synth and cheap but great vst's.

ifit must be hardware then you want something thats easy to edit, a second hand korg ms2000 is a great synth to learn synthesis on, the blofeld is a great synth but might be a little daunting to a beginner, if you get one then limit what you're gonna use in it until you understand it fully, its a very deep synth,
    if you already own a midi keyboard then you can also look at dave smiths mopho, it sounds huge for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Quiggers wrote: »
    a second hand korg ms2000 is a great synth to learn synthesis on

Imo an appalling synth to learn synthesis on - DWGS waveforms and the like. If you wanted to get to bones with the very basics of synthesis, I'd suggest an MFB Synth Lite II if you insist on going hardware.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/mfb_synth_lite_ii.htm

Otherwise, there's tonnes of free VSTi's to learn the basics on - one in particular I'd recommend was that Nord Modular editor. The demo/shareware version limits you to one voice, but you can create highly sophisticated patches a la Reaktor with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I got the Roland Juno-D, I'm a beginner too.

Its excellent for someone at my level, they've brought out a new DI model so you should be able to get the older one at a discount or indeed go for the DI if you like.

The problem as I believe with the SH-201 is that its tried to be a soft synth encased in a keyboard, whereas the the Juno-D is an all rounder.

I have no knowledge of other synths, but can tell you that I love my Juno-D.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

id go with the sh 201 over the microkorg or novation synths as outlined on adverts myself, the sh 201 is built like crap but is quite easy to use(good start for learning synthesis) and you can get some useable sounds out of it, yes juno would be better though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

Well I've gone for the microkorg simpley because the price of the sh 201 and equal spec synths was too high. All the replies were much appreciateed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BW_2017

I am just getting into synths, and am looking for a good entry level synth. I have 5 in mind at the moment, (Novation MiniNova, Novation UltraNova, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Jd-Xi and the Roland Gaia Sh-01) ((but open to suggestions)). I would prefer full sized keys, but if the minikeys aren't too small and hard to play I would consider them. Just wondering what synthesizer I should buy. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

Anyone like me ? I prefer synthesizers without a sequencer. I don’t like the sequencer to play the part. I like to play it live-it feels better

There are so many variables. It's difficult to produce yourself. You have to keep a wide enough perspective and you have to be ruthless and cut and edit. Sometimes you get confused and need an outside ear. I recognize that.

Thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

BW_2017 wrote: »
    I am just getting into synths, and am looking for a good entry level synth. I have 5 in mind at the moment, (Novation MiniNova, Novation UltraNova, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Jd-Xi and the Roland Gaia Sh-01) ((but open to suggestions)). I would prefer full sized keys, but if the minikeys aren't too small and hard to play I would consider them. Just wondering what synthesizer I should buy. Thanks.

For programming on I reckon the Novation Bass Station II would be the best out of the list to learn with as it has more dedicated controls.

If you already have a midi keyboard you could consider the Behringer Model D also as it nails the Minimoog sound and has a proper warm analog sound.

But you'll be limited to monophony or one note at a time with either of the 2.

Once you learn the basic controls you could then advance to a more menu driven synth with shared controls.

A second hand Korg Minilogue would be a great synth to start with also if the budget allows it.
    Pretty much one knob per function, analog and 4 voice polyphony.
    Its not the warmest sounding synth however and has a very bright character to it.

Its worth bearing in my mind that Behringer will be bringing out more clones of analog synths in the next year also.

To get an idea why dedicated controls are better for live use you should check out Mathew Jonsons demo of the Roland SH-101, you can really alter the sound for live use, like drop in a sub oscillator after a drum fill or change the octaves with a switch live or mess with the envelope setting to change up the sound live.

Behringer will be releasing an SH-101 clone soon also.

Advertisement