Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethics and Google Adwords :)

• 06-12-2009 9:26pm

Hey guys,

I've a question for you. It's more so based around the whole ethics of adwords and landing page quality etc.

I'll get to the point. Say I have a brand and it's called ASD.

Assume I want to sell [ASD mobile phones] online, and I do my keyword research and see that [Nokia mobile phones] are the most popular keywords of all the mobile phone brands. So I want people to know about my [ASD mobile phones] yet nobody knows what the hell ASD is since it's a new brand and I'm solely using online marketing as my medium.

Ethically speaking, if you target the keyword [Nokia Mobile Phones] and link to a page where you are selling [ASD Mobile Phones] and offered a comparison page showing why ASD is comparable or more favorable than the Nokia brand, is this ethically acceptable ?

And in your opinion, is it possible to win conversions using this sort of comparable, upselling style "My product is better than this product and here is why" tactic ?

If the above is too confusing, just assume you are selling an unknown product and you know it's better than a popular product, can you piggyback on the popular product because you know your one is technically better etc. It's aggressive advertising I suppose but if you know your product is better than the branded, known one, then is it really a bold thing to do ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ethics have nothing to do with it
    If you bid on the keyword "Nokia" it's TM infringement
    Google may not take action, but Nokia could

There is a concept of "fair use", but if you're trying to use a well known brand to market a smaller one then it could easily be seen as "passing off"

Advertisement