Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus?!?

• 06-12-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm currently a first year, doing a humanities course. Im due to go on Erasmus in the first semester of third year...

What I was wondering is, is Erasmus something you absolutely HAVE to participate in, or can you choose not to, and just take extra modules for the semester instead.
    Also, if you chose not to go, do you need a valid excuse, eg. medical problem, financial issues etc or can you just choose to opt òut?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

You should just do it i think. I'm yet to meet someone who has been on erasmus and not thought it was brilliant! Even if you know any erasmus students here they will tell you its a brilliant experience. I know lots that are trying to stay on for the second semester!

Im disappointed that I can't go on erasmus with my course. You should grab the opportunity with both hands and don't look back, because it will be a brilliant semester abroad. College is all about broadening your horizons, do as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Erasmus is compulsory for most some courses in UL, particularly humanities students and I'm pretty sure you need a valid excuse to get out of it. However if you really don't want to do it, I suppose they can't make you.

My advice would be to do it. It was a compulsory part of my course (Insurance and European Studies) and I couldn't be happier that I done it (went to the south of Spain). It was the best time of my life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

UL_Girl wrote: »
    I'm currently a first year, doing a humanities course. Im due to go on Erasmus in the first semester of third year...

What I was wondering is, is Erasmus something you absolutely HAVE to participate in, or can you choose not to, and just take extra modules for the semester instead.
    Also, if you chose not to go, do you need a valid excuse, eg. medical problem, financial issues etc or can you just choose to opt òut?

Thanks in advance!

Are you a mature student? If so, you can apply for an exemption. You'll have to prove previous work experience and/or travelling. My friend got an exemption and went straight into 4th year English and History.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I was absolutely dreading Erasmus - if there was any way out of it I would have found it!! But, as the others said, it was the best semester of college so far!! Please don't worry about it!

...And the only (almost!) sure fire way friends/classmates have gotten out of Erasmus is by having a dependant child.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Seriously....... Just do it.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I'm a first year Humanities student in UL too and I'm actually really looking forward to going on Erasmus. I think it's a great excuse to go out and see the world at a time where many people can't justify spending time living abroad. And uh...learning stuff is important too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

What would happen if you wanted to go but couldn't afford it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

UL_Girl wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

Erasmus is either optional or mandatory depending on your course. If it is listed as mandatory in your programme outline, then you are obliged to do it unless you are sucessful in applying for an exemption. You can also find out from your Course Director whther or not Erasmus is compulsory for your course. Exemptions are only granted on very specific grounds e.g. medical condition, family issues, etc. This year I was informed by certain heads of courses that they are tightening up on what qualifies students for an exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

i am a first year business and french student . i want to go on erasmus in the second semester of year 2 to france with some other people in my year.. am i too late/ when is the closing date for applications??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

What would happen if you wanted to go but couldn't afford it?

You get a grant to go, it's usually enough to cover accomodation at least.

• Advertisement

Mallox wrote: »
    i am a first year business and french student . i want to go on erasmus in the second semester of year 2 to france with some other people in my year.. am i too late/ when is the closing date for applications??

You can find out the closing date for application from the International Office, but given that you're a first year, I would be virtually certain that the date has passed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭OnTheBalls

I went on Erasmus last year to Munich. I was dreading it but didn't want to go home. I didn't want to go because I thought my girlfriend would dump me but she didn't and all worked out well for the year! She actually just came over for 3 months in the summer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

UL girl - i had the same reservations about going abroad but do it. it will be worth it. If you are in europe you will get a nice chunk of money from international office that when you do get should help you back with accom costs etc.

I went to upstate new york for mine and never regret it for a moment. my friends went to lapland and others in europe and all enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

You can find out the closing date for application from the International Office, but given that you're a first year, I would be virtually certain that the date has passed yet.

please tell me thats a typo and you meant to say "hasnt"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sm124

erasmus is a great experience but a costly one.....if you want to get the full benefit of it travel some and all that stuff. Exemptions are near on impossible unless you get a note from your doctor saying you are mentally unstable to go, at which point they can still bring in their own doctors to evaluate you. Don't be scared about the leaving home part like honestly if you do really hate it, it's like 4months and you will probably go home at halloween. Just save alot of money!!you don't apply until second year, usually the first week i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sm124

and also with skype, facebook, web texts you will be in contact with your friends and family more than you think!!

Mallox wrote: »
    please tell me thats a typo and you meant to say "hasnt"

Apologies for the typo, you're right Mallox. I meant hasn't passed.

Advertisement