Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be worried?

Options
  • 06-12-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I think this is my 1st time posting here,

I work in retail and I have a meeting with my Hr Manager on wednesday regarding my customer Service, I already got a written warning for something similar back in january however that was a mystery shopper and was much more important,my store manager said I wasnt helping customers, i could understand him being annoyed but I have a good customer base of people who come back in to the store looking for me by name and I consistently beat my targets, My big worrie is that I may be dissmissed.. how many written warnings can you recieve before Im fired?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ps3man wrote: »
    Hi lads, I think this is my 1st time posting here,

I work in retail and I have a meeting with my Hr Manager on wednesday regarding my customer Service, I already got a written warning for something similar back in january however that was a mystery shopper and was much more important,my store manager said I wasnt helping customers, i could understand him being annoyed but I have a good customer base of people who come back in to the store looking for me by name and I consistently beat my targets, My big worrie is that I may be dissmissed.. how many written warnings can you recieve before Im fired?
    0 to 2 usually depending on the severity of the issue (i.e. running a fork truck into your boss office while under influence would have you fired with out any warnings most likely) but based on what you've said most likely 2 (exact details will depend on your specific process but 2 written warnings is common) and then the third offense will get you fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

You have already had a written warning and as a result you come accross quite defensive making excuses. I know that is a natural reaction, but generally written warnings are not issued without good reason. You are now being called in a second time. Sorry to be negative, but if I were you, yes I would be worried. You are more concerned about how many warning you can get before being fired - getting one written warning should have been worrying enough, and it should have been a wake up call for you.

My suggestion would be that you take on board the comments made in the written warning, and look at positive and constructive ways to improve on this. Your HR dept seems to be meeting you to be seen to give you opportunity and training to improve, so that they cannot be blamed for your poor performance. So if you don't improve or respond well to their suggestions they then have perfect grounds for dismissal.

Bearing all this in mind, as I said look at the concerns they have and think of ways to address them. go into the meeting showing that you are aware of your weaknesses but are very willing to improve on them. It won't harm your case to point out some of the things you have here about a loyal group of customers, hitting targets etc, but try not to sound defensive or like you are giving excuses, but instead present it in such a way as you know you have the capability because you do have regular customers etc, but that you are also aware of your weaknesses and would appreciate some guidance from HR and management on how you can improve these weaknesses.

If you value your job you need to give yourself a kick up the arse - learn from past mistakes and comments and try to improve. You need to show management and HR that you are interested in your job and also interested in addressing any areas of weakness you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The warning you received in January has expired. They only stay on your record for 6 months. I'd be fairly certain they cannot use the fact that you had one in the past against you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

The warning you received in January has expired. They only stay on your record for 6 months. I'd be fairly certain they cannot use the fact that you had one in the past against you either.
    I think this depends on your contract. I don't think there is any legal requirement that they dismiss a written warning after 6 mths - it would not seem to make sense - employee does something which warrants a written warning, then behaves for 6 mths and then can start again? Its not like penalty points - its up to the company AFAIK.
    Also written warnings are not (usually) given without good reason and prior verbal warnings - except in the case where the behaviour is serious enough to warrant going straight to written warning.

Advertisement