Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CD Player skipping a lot

• 06-12-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi, my cd player, about 5 years old, is skipping a lot. I suspect that it may be the lense is a bit dirty. Anyone know the best way to clean the lense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

While I am sure some people do have skipping problems caused by a dirty lens, I have found in multiple instances that it is actually caused by dust contaminating the grease lubricating the laser positioning mechanism.

The problem can be fixed by opening up the CD player and cleaning out the old grease with a toothpick and then applying new grease, such as silicone or teflon grease.

There are lens cleaning CD's available if you want to try that avenue first, I have even seen them on sale in a Dunnes supermarket but there would be many other places that would carry them.

I would personally never use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Thanks for the info cnocbui. I will try the teflon. When I google teflon grease, i get loads of hits relating to bicycle lubricants. Is it the same stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BlueSpud wrote: »
    Thanks for the info cnocbui. I will try the teflon. When I google teflon grease, i get loads of hits relating to bicycle lubricants. Is it the same stuff?

Yes, they would probably be good, though I have used plain silicone grease. The grease I use is pure teflon and is no longer made, I think the nearest equivalent is krytox.

Here is a brief how-to I wrote a while ago:

First you remove the casing. Then you find the sled holding the laser assembly. There is usually a shiny rail / metal rod this sled is guided along. Using tooth picks and the sticky part of scotch tape, remove all the grease from the rail you can. The sled is usually driven by a straight plastic rack with gear teeth along it. Clean that too. The rack is moved by circular gears driven by a motor with a worm drive on the end. Clean the grease from all those as well. might need to sharpen the toothpicks for between the teeth of the gears.

You can move the sled along the rail by winding the worm drive manually with a finger or rubber end of a pencil. This lets you get at the grease in meshed parts of gears and which is on the bit of the rail inside the sled. A lot of winding is required to move it even a little due to the gearing.

Replace the grease with a good synthetic, preferably one containing teflon / ptfe. Try a bike shop for chain lubes. Only apply a small amount, about as much as you removed in the cleaning process. Plumbers silicone grease can be used but something better would give better results.

Do not use cotton wool buds to clean with or anything else that can leave fibres behind.

Advertisement