Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Postal

• 06-12-2009 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Why is no one talking about this new sky adaptation? Hope it's better then the other two!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Haven't been watching much tv lately so haven't heard anything about it. When's it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 offdechain

when its on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Wikipedia wrote:
    Terry Pratchett's Going Postal is a two-part television adaptation of the book of the same name by Terry Pratchett, produced by The Mob, to be first broadcast on Sky One, and in High Definition on Sky One HD, on Easter 2010.
    It will be the third in a series of adaptations, following Terry Pratchett's Hogfather and Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic. It was announced as part of an investment of at least £10 million into high definition adaptations of novels, including Chris Ryan's Strike Back and Skellig by David Almond.[1] Filming began in May 2009 in Budapest.[2]
    As is now traditional with The Mob's Discworld adaptations, several fans were invited to appear as extras, during shooting in Budapest.[3]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett's_Going_Postal

I didn't really enjoy the first 2 but I don't hold up much hope. Will watch it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hmmm. They better not fudge this up. Wasn't impressed with the HogFather, and never got a chance to see Colour of Magic. (I've seen it in so many places as Color. Grinds my balls.)

Going Postal has the potential to be amazing. Hopefully they don't mash Making Money into it as well, so they can actually develop it and the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

2 hours isn't enough for any Pratchett novel, should be done as a 6 part mini series!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Now, why did I not recieve a clacks about this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

gargoyles went on strike with the rest of the public sector.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They really need a strong actor to pay Moist.

The problem that I have with the other ones (apart from the cheap sets, hammy acting and lack of comic timing) is that they portray the discworld as a magical world. Going postal is the ideal opportunity for them to portray it as it TP has made it (i.e. a more brash, corrupt version of London at the cusp of the modern era/industrialisation). Going postal is a good allegory for the lack of business ethics at the higher end and the power of small groups of determined computer hackers. Lets hope it's not just another romp with dwarves(dwarfs?) and wizards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

This could really turn out good if it's done right. The problem with the Hogfather adaptation was that unless you had already read the books it seemed sort of confusing and the humour was enhanced by previously reading the books. It didn't seem funny to most of my friends that hadn't read Pratchett.

Moist is a character that people could relate to without reading the book. He's a loveable rogue who enjoys ( if I may just get a little 70's here?) "sticking it to the man". The humour in Going Postal should lend itself better to the screen. A lot of the humour could work very well visually, riding the stallion across the plains jumping into a trough of water, the golden suit, etc

If he was played in a similar manner to Downey's Sherlock Holmes perhaps?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Is there any ETA on this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cheesecake101

I'd also like to know when/if this is being aired?

But the character I'm most worried about the portrayal of is Adora Belle Dearheart. Apart from the fact that she is one of my favourite things in those two books. She has such a potential to either be done fantastically, or awfully. They're going to need an actress who can really hold her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Last I heard it was pencilled in for 30th May, Sky 1 and HD.

Here's a trailer

http://sky1.sky.com/Going-Postal-new-trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cheesecake101

Well it looks.... disappointing, but not as disappointing as I thought it would be. Although immediately revealing who the werewolf is in the Watch is rather out of character, the rest seems at least to be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I for one like the look of that! I can understand why some people would think it looks disappointing but it is only because it is not larger-than-life! Terry Pratchett's real talent is stimulating our imaginations, which is completely individual (as anyone who reads the Discworld, The Movie thread would see):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

it looked fine (most of the characters look pretty close to what I imagined)

8except*

Moist is a bit on the wrong side of goofy more like matthew broderwick and less like john cusack. Weird I know but thats how i imagined moist. Someone who has a very strong vision of the world its just not gelling with other people's insanity. Which is sort of how john cusack plays his goofiness. In contrast matthew broderick tends to be more innocent goofiness. Mr Pump despite the bad CG could work, the golems/trolls will aways be the most difficult part of adapting any discworld piece because despite their fantastical design they are meant to be seen as everyday objects/part of the scenery, something which unless you have the money for it is difficult with cgi.

I am happy with how they got Richter, I really felt like kicking Sky for miscasting tim curry in the light fantastic and not having him play richter in this, but it looks like they got someone who will play somewhat close to the source. BUT the banshee looks f*cking awful.

Although immediately revealing who the werewolf is in the Watch is rather out of character, the rest seems at least to be fun.

It kills one of the best moments in making money anyway :(

Eugh. I saw the ad for this and I think it's going to be absolutely terrible. Why doesn't Sky just stop making crappy made-for-TV movies? It's strange how a terrible novel like Twilight can get made into a Hollywood movie, but a series like Discworld hasn't gotten a look in.

Only big budget movies can match the wonderfulness of Ankh Morpork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

As an actor and character I do like the guy who is playing Moist, he was excellent in Coupling years ago

However as pointed out I do think he isn't sauve enough to play Moist, a bit too much of a kooky character

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had to check which guy it was. I definitely agree, the guy who played Jeff is woefully miscast as Moist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I only knew this was happening when I happened to catch a trailer for it whilst flicking over to Sky: needless to say I groaned a little inside. Having just watched the trailer, I groaned a little more, it looks hopeless. I doubt any of the criticism levelled against the previous adaptations have been taken onboard. None of the characters look right & if the Colour of Magic was anything to go by, this story will have the tension and pacing of a wet weekend. The last adaptation was almost painfully directed - scenes that should have been funny, arthritically creaked to the punchline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

pixelburp wrote: »
    I only knew this was happening when I happened to catch a trailer for it whilst flicking over to Sky: needless to say I groaned a little inside. Having just watched the trailer, I groaned a little more, it looks hopeless. I doubt any of the criticism levelled against the previous adaptations have been taken onboard. None of the characters look right & if the Colour of Magic was anything to go by, this story will have the tension and pacing of a wet weekend. The last adaptation was almost painfully directed - scenes that should have been funny, arthritically creaked to the punchline

I have to agree, doesn't look good at all. Oh I'll watch it, I may even enjoy bits of it; but I'll be sitting there knowing that I could have done a better job with my home camcorder. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

As an actor and character I do like the guy who is playing Moist, he was excellent in Coupling years ago

However as pointed out I do think he isn't sauve enough to play Moist, a bit too much of a kooky character

I'm surprised no-one has called foul on Coyle in his late thirties playing a character in his mid-twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im actually willing to give him a chance. took me ages to realise he was playing the new king in prince of persia and that role was along way from the welsh lad in coupling.

i share the conscerns about the films sky has done so far but TBH im just glad to be getting anything as the world is full of amazing books yet all hollywood is interested in doing is another fecking robin hood film.

i had to suffer decades of crap superhero films before hollywood got em right so anything that raises the profiles of the books may one day result in some REAL money and talent going into one.

till then this'll do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Any Pratchett is better than none isn't it? I'll be watching and hopefully enjoying. Worst case it'll remind me how good the book was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

First part is on tonight 6pm for two hours, looking forward to it.

I enjoyed it - part two is tomorrow evening which is a holiday in the UK.

I'll have to get to and leave work on time tomorrow I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Thought it was Meh! to be honest

Seemed lacking in humour and I really don't think Coyle was right for the part (though I do like him in most things)

I know there are Golems and vampires in it but it could be set almost anywhere and not Discworld, jsut doesn't have the right feel

Hopefully it picks up this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I forgot about this and missed it last night.

Is it being repeated ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Enjoyed that, got a load of little jokes in which i enjoyed.

Dance was perfect as Vetinary.

Better than the previous 2 anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I semi enjoyed it - haven't caught the second part yet though - that's just on tonight, wasn't it? - generally it was a vast improvement on the leaden "Colour of Magic" and actually had some zip about proceedings.

On an (un)related note, although we saw Captain Angua (who was just a bit too vampy tbh), it's interesting how Sky have completely avoided Sam Vimes. I wonder if this is deliberate; he's certainly Discworld's most popular and prominent resident at this stage & has a natural set of stories to adapt, charting his rise & rise. Yes despite that Sky have avoided him like the plague. Probably just as well I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Vimes is the only character I think you could actual make a running series out of on tv (cause his stories can easily bounce from mundane copper stuff to fantastical ott so a series could be paced like your average doctor who season), no way sky will touch him until they know they can make something out of the wealth of content behind him.

Advertisement