Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Post Office

Options
  • 06-12-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Sorry if I missed anything about this, but there is a new unit fitted out beside Super Valu. It looks like a Post Office fit out. If so , when is it opening. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

I don't know but I saw them fitting it out late on Friday evening. It’ll be much handier for parking if it is moving.

Also in case you don’t know already - the office for collecting parcels has moved recently. It’s past the new AIB branch, past the recycling place and turn left into KVS Business park, (the same estate where "Balmoral Tanks" is)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2009/1014/1224256603343.html

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything on the AN POST website

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

damastown wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed anything about this, but there is a new unit fitted out beside Super Valu. It looks like a Post Office fit out. If so , when is it opening. Thanks
    It's open from this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I don't know but I saw them fitting it out late on Friday evening. It’ll be much handier for parking if it is moving.
    Also in case you don’t know already - the office for collecting parcels has moved recently. It’s past the new AIB branch, past the recycling place and turn left into KVS Business park, (the same estate where "Balmoral Tanks" is)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2009/1014/1224256603343.html

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything on the AN POST website

Seriously? Thanks for that. I went to collect a parcel yesterday from their old address as I had a slip of paper in the door with their old address on it. :mad: No wonder it looked like it had closed early.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's open from this morning.

Just to add to this as I passed it today and they still don't have a phone line connected so can't offer all of their services. They also suspended SW payments for over an hour this afternoon for "security reasons". It's a much handier location if you're on foot and with a car imho but it's a pity that it wasn't fully ready to open on the date they had set.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Comms wont be restored in the office probably till tomorrow at earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Comms were back in the office yesterday at about 16:40:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

went into new post office today & have to say i was very impressed wit the service! much quicker than usual (even though there were at least 15 people in front of me) & best of all they now dont close for lunch :D, yippee so opening hours are now as follows mon-fri 9am-5.30pm & sat 9am-1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

_michelle_ wrote: »
    went into new post office today & have to say i was very impressed wit the service! much quicker than usual (even though there were at least 15 people in front of me) & best of all they now dont close for lunch :D, yippee so opening hours are now as follows mon-fri 9am-5.30pm & sat 9am-1pm

Thats a great move. Long overdue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Thats great - especially the Sat opening and the lunch time opening. Much better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

wow sierra wrote: »
    Thats great - especially the Sat opening and the lunch time opening. Much better service.

Send an email to the Chief Exec of An Post and let him know how good the service now is. It has taken An Post a while to catch up on some fronts but they do provide an excellent variety of services.

An Post are currently looking for 1,300 redundancies and anything that might encourage people to use the service is welcome.

• Advertisement

wow sierra wrote: »
    They've been open on Saturdays for the last number of years.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They've been open on Saturdays for the last number of years.

I have been working in Dept of P & T and An Post since 1980 and Saturday opening has been there since then and long before. Saturday was always just another normal working day in Post Office with deliveries taking place up to 1978

Answer me this Leo if you know. The staff who work in Balbriggan post office behind the counter, are they An Post employees or not? I would imagine there aren't as the post office is nothing more than a franchise. I presume they are employees of the person who owns the franchise?

I dont know any of the staff there now. Some are An Post employee's and some are hired by post master/mistress in sub office's who usually has a contract with An Post. In the offices in Dublin most are Post Office Clerks employed by An Post. There are only 2 staff where I work who are pre 1984 (An Post)

I would not go so far as to say the post office is a franshise. An Post now have a huge amount of contract staff in all areas of the company which I dont personally like. Most big companies outsource a lot of back office jobs like data processing. Some staff are on 11month contracts and while most are renewed I feel there should be a period of time say 3 months after which people are assesed and taken on full time or let go. My gripe would be they are not in a pensionable position until they are made full-time.

Currently An Post are looking for 1,300 redundancies as they prepare for open market trading under European de-regulation of post offices. To counter this An Post have bought quite a few courier firms and are making a substantial profit each year.

I would think over the next few years we will see even more changes in how the post office operates and a far wider range of products available at your local office. With the network that is there there is huge room for growth in many area's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

LeoB wrote: »
    I
    I would think over the next few years we will see even more changes in how the post office operates and a far wider range of products available at your local office. With the network that is there there is huge room for growth in many area's

Selling envelopes, packaging, boxes etc would be a welcome addition. I've seen this in Post Offices in other countries.

dubmick wrote: »
    Selling envelopes, packaging, boxes etc would be a welcome addition. I've seen this in Post Offices in other countries.

They do this in some Post Offices in Dublin too. Santry (Omni Centre) is one where I've seen packaging on sale recently.

Eoineo wrote: »
    They do this in some Post Offices in Dublin too. Santry (Omni Centre) is one where I've seen packaging on sale recently.

The post office has an oppertunity to become a mini eason by selling all office and home stationary products and they have the added bonus of being able to deliver it to your door at a much cheaper rate.

Advertisement