Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socail Welfare Budget Cut Protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

cson wrote: »
    What, as opposed to a teacher or a county councillor? ;)

Or worse again, one of our Bearded Brethren:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I don't agree, I couldn't count on two hands, people I know of who are up to and able to create employment for themselves, they need assistance, leadership and also access to funding.

But these people may as well be standing in a puddle of their own p*ss for as long as this government is in office. There are a small core of people who are "welfare class" people, who will be on welfare all of their lives, but the majority of people I know who are unemployed at the moment, are dying to get back to work. They are happy to try their hand at their own enterprise but are a bit fazed by it. All for the want of some leadership... Jesus Christ, a solicitor running the country, can you imagine anything more dangerous???

Whats wrong with the jobs in FAS http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=33054_3&REQUEST=WWW_JS_VAC_SHOWJOBS&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_SELECT.HTM

They not great, but its work

And i know loads of people who don't see why they should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

tudlytops wrote: »
    No they don't, unfortunately that is not the case any more, I know it looks nice on TV but it's not like that in real life.

I am Portuguese (i suppose now I'm a forener so I won't have most of an opnion), I've been here for 12 years and was in the UK for 10 before that, nottalking about holiday rent.

My sister earnes €900 euro per month and that is a good wage, but pays €500 rent for a bedsit.

As for rents in the council, you call that rent, they are ridiculously low.

Some people are paying over a 100 euro a week to live in council houses i would not call that low!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

gcgirl wrote: »
    yes but if your over the threshold by 50cent you wont get the medical card look at the wider picture, same person goes to see a gp for nothing in the north, you only pay for the prescription! its a lot wider in the broad picture than saying ah look they can survive on x amount of money different country's completely!
    You could bring in Taiwan if you want but you cant compare!

We are not that far removed from the UK that our social welfare should be 183% higher. If you think there's nothing wrong with that then you are very much removed from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Some people are paying over a 100 euro a week to live in council houses i would not call that low!

Well I do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Whats wrong with the jobs in FAS http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=33054_3&REQUEST=WWW_JS_VAC_SHOWJOBS&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_SELECT.HTM

They not great, but its work

And i know loads of people who don't see why they should work.

What should happen is that if you are unemployed, there must be a plan to get you back to work. That could be by marrying you up with a job as you have listed, by getting you working for yourself or getting you into training, but it falls to the government to get people together so that we can see some sort of an effort being made to get people back to work. The list you have posted there is a bt hard to make out. If you are a chef in Dublin, you might not be in a position to apply for a position in Cork. If you broke that list down into county for county, I think you'd find that there would be a handful of jobs in most counties...

148 jobs spread across 26 counties is 5.69 jobs per county!

Doubtful, with rent allowance if those people are unemployed I'd doubt its that much. If they're employed then it's reasonable.

I'll qualify this by saying; it's highly unlikely its only one person living in that council house. In the majority of cases it'll be your average family - two spouse, and two or more children. So that'd be €332 per month in child benefit which is almost your rent paid as well as (assuming both spouse are on welfare) pulling in €1632 a month in welfare between the two. Now obviously I'm assuming maximum entitlements here but all the same.... > :eek:

It depends on where the property is and how big.

i was paying 650 a month's for a small 2 bed flat, kitchen/livingroom in the same room, over a damn pub.

I would say 100 is low

cson wrote: »
    Doubtful, with rent allowance if those people are unemployed I'd doubt its that much. If they're employed then it's reasonable.

I'll qualify this by saying; it's highly unlikely its only one person living in that council house. In the majority of cases it'll be your average family - two spouse, and two or more children. So that'd be €332 per month in child benefit which is almost your rent paid as well as (assuming both spouse are on welfare) pulling in €1632 a month in welfare between the two. Now obviously I'm assuming maximum entitlements here but all the same.... > :eek:
    you dont get rent allowance if you live in a council house! thats a bit like defeating the purpose!

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=c17&s[a_id]=806&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=&refine.x=65&refine.y=10&refine=Refine&search=1&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&search_type=rental
    There is houses from from what your location says tudly tops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

ntlbell wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

name one country where the basic jsa is higher than ireland.

I think you'll find most counties gove a percentage of your former income, Ireland and the UK are very alone in having a basic rate of pay regardless of your previous income.
    Most EU countries give between 50 and 80 per cent of your previous years income.

you don't get rent allowance if you live in a council house! thats a bit like defeating the purpose!

You do get it, just not called the same, but when one pays a reduced rent, that's the same as rent allowance, different name, it's called subsidised rent

that is why if you start working your rent goes up, still low but it goes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

dsmythy wrote: »
    The dole was 185 a mere 3 years ago. Take it back to that amount i say.

Yeap. Prices have dropped to 2004 levels, times to take the Dole back to 2004 levels.

However I do think that those who loose their jobs if they have worked for a number of years should get a years Dole at a higher rate (300 to 350 a week) then if they can't find work after a year it can be cut to 200.

I think you'll find most counties gove a percentage of your former income, Ireland and the UK are very alone in having a basic rate of pay regardless of your previous income.
    Most EU countries give between 50 and 80 per cent of your previous years income.

In Portugal you get between 70% and 80% of what your wage was for 12 month's, after that they start looking for a job for you, if you refuse 3 jobs without a valid reason, you get cut off, regardless.

Only people allowed to stay on benefits and sick, disabled, or caring for disabled.

sold wrote: »
    Yeap. Prices have dropped to 2004 levels, times to take the Dole back to 2004 levels.

However I do think that those who loose their jobs if they have worked for a number of years should get a years Dole at a higher rate (300 to 350 a week) then if they can't find work after a year it can be cut to 200.

I don't think it should be cut, it should be reviewed, everyone on benefits should be reviewed.

And all benefits means tested, all of them.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=c17&s[a_id]=806&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=&refine.x=65&refine.y=10&refine=Refine&search=1&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&search_type=rental
    There is houses from from what your location says tudly tops

??? sorry didn't get that.

In Portugal you get between 70% and 80% of what your wage was for 12 month's, after that they start looking for a job for you, if you refuse 3 jobs without a valid reason, you get cut off, regardless.

Only people allowed to stay on benefits and sick, disabled, or caring for disabled.

Yes so where is this idea that we are the most generous social welfare system coming from?

If one worked in Portugal or most European Countries for my entire working life I would now be on 1,200 euro a week instead of 200 odd. I think that places one in a very different place to be told that 200 odd is generous. It seems that there are a lot of people parroting here with no figures to back up their claims that Irish social welfare is the most generous.
    You cannot make that statement as most EU welfare system pay a percentage of your previous income.

If your anal enough you might have a esb bill from 04 compare it to the esb bill now and you'll see quite a difference and unless you shop at aldi lidi you wont get anything cheap in this country !

I'm liking that.

Yes so where is this idea that we are the most generous social welfare system coming from?

If one worked in Portugal or most European Countries for my entire working life I would now be on 1,200 euro a week instead of 200 odd. I think that places one in a very different place to be told that 200 odd is generous. It seems that there are a lot of people parroting here with no figures to back up their claims that Irish social welfare is the most generous.
    You cannot make that statement as most EU welfare system pay a percentage of your previous income.

How do you figure that you would be on 1,200 euro when min wage is 500????

Ireland is very very generous

• Advertisement

??? sorry didn't get that.

your location on a daft.ie rental search

and very expensive to live in !

If your anal enough you might have a esb bill from 04 compare it to the esb bill now and you'll see quite a difference and unless you shop at aldi lidi you wont get anything cheap in this country !

Therefore you do shop at Aldi or Lidl and you do get food for cheap. Social Welfare is not designed to maintain a previous standard of living. It's to create a standard that gets you by - and in my opinion our benefits far exceed that.

Because in 2008 I earned a little over 80,000 euro gross.
    Not everyone on the social welfare system worked for minimum wage my friend. I lost my job through no fault of my own. I've paid more in tax than I could ever possibly claim back in social welfare, so dont tell me that 200 odd is generous. Most other EU contries take better care of their tax payers.

well in Italy, if you leave college you can't get a job you get no Dole, your told to go a live with your parents until you get a Job. Our social welfare is too generous and leads to systematic abuse, (like "lone parents" having children on purpose to get the benefits, housing and dole)

Social Welfare should be there to help not be abused. Too many people know who to play the system but have never made payments to it.

Over 85% of travelers claim social welfare and have not paid PRSI in their lives. (however the situation in UK is worse)

well in Italy, if you leave college you can't get a job you get no Dole, your told to go a live with your parents until you get a Job. Our social welfare is too generous and leads to systematic abuse, (like "lone parents" having children on purpose to get the benefits, housing and dole)

Social Welfare should be there to help not be abused. Too many people know who to play the system but have never made payments to it.

Over 85% of travelers claim social welfare and have not paid PRSI in their lives. (however the situation in UK is worse)

I think your confusing a generous system with a corrupt and abused system

Because in 2008 I earned a little over 80,000 euro gross.
    Not everyone on the social welfare system worked for minimum wage my friend. I lost my job through no fault of my own. I've paid more in tax than I could ever possibly claim back in social welfare, so dont tell me that 200 odd is generous. Most other EU contries take better care of their tax payers.

I would support the 80% notion of final salary for a year, then its means tested and if you refuse a job its taken away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Maebh

Basically, there are a lot of people in the country right now who have lost their jobs and then found out there's nothing else for them to do except wait around til things pick up, or take themselves out of the country altogether.

There are no jobs. I mean, there's the odd thing here and there, and the competition for it is insane. You think just because RTE aren't reporting the fighting over menial jobs anymore means it isn't still happening?

There's no incentive to get people working again. The media keeps talking about minimum wage jobs like that's the only thing someone on the SW can aspire to, but this is simply not true. A lot of people laid off recently are much more qualified, much too experienced to be on minimum wage jobs.

But the government's doing nothing about it. Ask them, they'll tell you NAMA's their preoccupation right now.

That's what we should be protesting about; politicians more worried about bankers than their citizens.

I would support the 80% notion of final salary for a year, then its means tested and if you refuse a job its taken away.

Or a system for example is sweden to cope with a possible prolonged syste, where you get 80% first year 70% second year and then their basic rate in your thrid year which is 1100 a month.

• Advertisement

red i agree with pulling up in their 09 jeeps and cars ffs
    pink there is a lot of abuse and it should be policed properly within a stones throw there must be about 4 of them that have there kids fathers living with them! but there are genuine people that have to get on with it regardless and without any other income/maintenance!

Advertisement