Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socail Welfare Budget Cut Protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

sold wrote: »
    Over 85% of travelers claim social welfare and have not paid PRSI in their lives. (however the situation in UK is worse)

You better have a source for that or else its just blatant racism. ;)
    Maebh wrote: »
    A lot of people laid off recently are much more qualified, much too experienced to be on minimum wage jobs.

No one is too qualified for a minimum wage job. Any job is better than being on social welfare. I certainly know if I was an employer and my company started hiring again I'd certainly hold a lot of repect for a graduate who saw out the recession working in McDonalds or some similar minimum wage job. It'd be hugely influential in my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

cson wrote: »
    You better have a source for that or else its just blatant racism. ;)

No one is too qualified for a minimum wage job. Any job is better than being on social welfare. I certainly know if I was an employer and my company started hiring again I'd certainly hold a lot of repect for a graduate who saw out the recession working in McDonalds or some similar minimum wage job. It'd be hugely influential in my decision.

Ok so force the highly qualified masters level graduates to leave the country because here we can work for minimum wage or we can emigrate and get paid appropriatly.......

Thats a sound plan for recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Maebh

You wanna bet that no one's too qualified for a minimum wage job? You wanna say that someone who's qualified to post-grad and has run their own business should work in McDo's? My God, get a brain!

So you want to tell me that I should work for a pittance, or feck off and emigrate?

Someone who goes on a training scheme or works minimum wage when they're better qualified than the monkeys they work for is being degraded, plain and simple. Sometimes I think this country has no respect for education.

When you work a minimum wage job you have no time or energy to look for a better job. This is not a good use of our graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I've known a lot of people who have been turned down citing being over qualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

ntlbell wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

name one country where the basic jsa is higher than ireland.

the netherlands

someone gets 500 a week=100 a day 70% = 70 eu x5= 350 a week they got when unemployed
    and unemployed one is also entiteled for things as we have here

Height of an unemployment benefit

You are entitled to unemployment benefits? Then you get a basic allowance of 3 months. The first 2 months you get 75% of your daily wage, 70% the third month. If more than 3 months WW gets the amount of your benefit in the following months 70% of the daily wage.
    Do you work for a short period and then continued the unemployment benefit? Then the old daily wage remains applicable.
    How is the daily wage calculated?

The daily wage is based on the average daily wages you earned in the years before you became unemployed. The daily wage is never more than statutory maxima. Is your daily wage higher? Then when we calculate your benefit of the statutory maxima.
    For part-WW is that the daily wage is based on the earnings from the last reporting period before the onset of the reporting period of unemployment.
    To calculate the daily wage, we assume the wage on which social insurance contributions are paid. This means that such bonuses often count, but travel expenses and telephone charges usually.
    Sometimes a different (higher) daily wage calculated. That happens when you one new job at lower wages are going to work yet (again) become unemployed. Did you work in different jobs or do not earn much more, your benefit based on the average wage in the years before you became unemployed.
    Can I supplement my unemployment benefits have?

Come with your unemployment benefits under the social minimum? Then you can supplement to your benefit claims. The social minimum is a minimum amount someone needs to live. This amount is not the same for everyone, but depends on your age and your life situation. The amount varies from about 70% to 100% of the statutory minimum wage.
    Request this surcharge to supplement your income within 6 weeks on. Is your application too late? Then you get a discount on the surcharge.
    Will you have a one time payment? And something changes in your situation so that your (family) income is lower, for example through a divorce? Also you can request a surcharge.
    For more information on the page Supplements.
    Is the surcharge on your unemployment benefit is not enough on the social minimum to arrive? Then you may be an additional welfare gain. Please contact with UWV Work Company, through werk

• Advertisement

gcgirl wrote: »
    I've known a lot of people who have been turned down citing being over qualified!

Myself included.

Why don't you emigrate then and get paid appropriately Mr Highly Qualified Masters Level Graduate?

the netherlands

someone gets 500 a week=100 a day 70% = 70 eu x5= 350 a week they got when unemployed
    and unemployed one is also entiteled for things as we have here

Height of an unemployment benefit

You are entitled to unemployment benefits? Then you get a basic allowance of 3 months. The first 2 months you get 75% of your daily wage, 70% the third month. If more than 3 months WW gets the amount of your benefit in the following months 70% of the daily wage.
    Do you work for a short period and then continued the unemployment benefit? Then the old daily wage remains applicable.
    How is the daily wage calculated?

The daily wage is based on the average daily wages you earned in the years before you became unemployed. The daily wage is never more than statutory maxima. Is your daily wage higher? Then when we calculate your benefit of the statutory maxima.
    For part-WW is that the daily wage is based on the earnings from the last reporting period before the onset of the reporting period of unemployment.
    To calculate the daily wage, we assume the wage on which social insurance contributions are paid. This means that such bonuses often count, but travel expenses and telephone charges usually.
    Sometimes a different (higher) daily wage calculated. That happens when you one new job at lower wages are going to work yet (again) become unemployed. Did you work in different jobs or do not earn much more, your benefit based on the average wage in the years before you became unemployed.
    Can I supplement my unemployment benefits have?

Come with your unemployment benefits under the social minimum? Then you can supplement to your benefit claims. The social minimum is a minimum amount someone needs to live. This amount is not the same for everyone, but depends on your age and your life situation. The amount varies from about 70% to 100% of the statutory minimum wage.
    Request this surcharge to supplement your income within 6 weeks on. Is your application too late? Then you get a discount on the surcharge.
    Will you have a one time payment? And something changes in your situation so that your (family) income is lower, for example through a divorce? Also you can request a surcharge.
    For more information on the page Supplements.
    Is the surcharge on your unemployment benefit is not enough on the social minimum to arrive? Then you may be an additional welfare gain. Please contact with UWV Work Company, through werk

While those figures are valid for minimum wage not all of us worked minimum wage jobs and are now on the dole. So even higher is very attainable.

Why don't you emigrate then and get paid appropriately Mr Highly Qualified Masters Level Graduate?

I am in the process of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

That doesn't mean that's why they didn't get the job

recession or no recession most of us never find out why we don't get jobs.

being over qualifed was a big hit in the 80's and it seems to have made a return.

if people keep getting turned down for jobs for being over qualfied maybe they need to "adjust" there CV

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean that's why they didn't get the job

recession or no recession most of us never find out why we don't get jobs.

being over qualifed was a big hit in the 80's and it seems to have made a return.

if people keep getting turned down for jobs for being over qualfied maybe they need to "adjust" there CV

How am I supposed to adjust away 6 years of experienced work? and 6 years of decent salaries on the P60's and eventual P45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Lunar_Wire wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering if there are any plans for a protests on budget day.
    Surely this Government should be out now!
    I'm willing to take a cut in my welfare when this crowd are out.

Changing governements wouldnt make a difference and is just another flavour of the "blame someone and look for vengence" mentality that is hindering rather than helping us manage the mess we are in. Alternatives are: the public service, the developpers, the banks, the rich, etc etc.

The failings of the government (and they have plenty of them) are the failings of democracy in general in Ireland, and the selfinterested clientelist citizens who elect that class of politician. There is no difference between political parties in Ireland. Changing govt would only interrupt and delay the job the current lot are doing.

Not that they would listen to your protest anyway. They have rightly tuned out of the background noise of whingers in every corner of Irish life these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Sigh, i shouldn't bother, but...

1/Try to remember, the unemployment rate was less than 3% - (regarded as the equivalent to nil)when jobs were available (won't bore you with the nature of accounting in employment terms) so when the jobs are there people will work.
    2/ try it for a year or so, get back to me
    whatnext wrote: »
    Full employment is deemed to be an unemployment rate of between 2 and 7% depending on what economist you listen to. My old Economics Lecturer used a figure of 4.3% and I cant remember which Economist he was quoting, but is was broadly calculated as being 2% cant work, 2% will not work and 0.3% will be in transition ie between jobs.

For you to suggest we had 0% unemployment is ridiculous, and to be so closeted as to say that there are no people that choose to be unemployed is even more laughable

I've never been closeted in my life...
    You?;)

You wanna bet that no one's too qualified for a minimum wage job? You wanna say that someone who's qualified to post-grad and has run their own business should work in McDo's? My God, get a brain!

So you want to tell me that I should work for a pittance, or feck off and emigrate?

Someone who goes on a training scheme or works minimum wage when they're better qualified than the monkeys they work for is being degraded, plain and simple. Sometimes I think this country has no respect for education.

When you work a minimum wage job you have no time or energy to look for a better job. This is not a good use of our graduates.

I have a brain. One that works quite well. And please in future attack the post, not the poster. Petty insults serve no purpose in advancing the debate.

That is the choice you face; you can choose to tough out the adversity in a minimum wage job or better, or else emigrate and attempt to find a job which you feel is commesurate with your qualifications. And believe me, it's not that simple should you go abroad. I have a cousin with a Masters still unemployed in Australia so the grass is not always greener. It seems to be a cop out to wheel out this threat of emigrating because you can find a job to match your education - go do it if you feel you can otherwise stop making empty threats.

You seem to have no respect for people in general by terming superiors of minimum wage workers as 'monkeys'. I can tell you from experience some of the most intelligent people I have met have had no qualifications whatsoever behind them and a lot left school at 16. Look at Irelands Rich List and you'll find a lot of those on it never made it past Leaving Cert level.

Which leads me to my next point; a lot of people coming out of undergraduate courses and having completed a masters believe they have an entitlement to a job that reflects this. They do not. Academic qualifications are not the be all and end all of getting a good job. A cursory glance at any Human Resources textbook will tell you that. There is respect for education out there but it's not the sole determining factor you infer it should be.

Max working week in Ireland is 39hrs and should you throw the overtime stick at me, theres more legislation governing time off and max working hours. I won't cite it unless you don't believe me. Which should give ample opportunity for our graduates to search for work or even do courses to further their study.

For someone who claims to be highly educated, that is pretty ignorant post.

How am I supposed to adjust away 6 years of experienced work? and 6 years of decent salaries on the P60's and eventual P45?

I wasn't aware a P60 showed the last 6 years.

Mine doesn't.

Anyway I think your suggesting you should tell a load of lies, that's not what I'm suggesting.

Ah the PD's have not died!

I have a brain. One that works quite well. And please in future attack the post, not the poster. Petty insults serve no purpose in advancing the debate.

That is the choice you face; you can choose to tough out the adversity in a minimum wage job or better, or else emigrate and attempt to find a job which you feel is commesurate with your qualifications. And believe me, it's not that simple should you go abroad. I have a cousin with a Masters still unemployed in Australia so the grass is not always greener. It seems to be a cop out to wheel out this threat of emigrating because you can find a job to match your education - go do it if you feel you can otherwise stop making empty threats.

You seem to have no respect for people in general by terming superiors of minimum wage workers as 'monkeys'. I can tell you from experience some of the most intelligent people I have met have had no qualifications whatsoever behind them and a lot left school at 16. Look at Irelands Rich List and you'll find a lot of those on it never made it past Leaving Cert level.

Which leads me to my next point; a lot of people coming out of undergraduate courses and having completed a masters believe they have an entitlement to a job that reflects this. They do not. Academic qualifications are not the be all and end all of getting a good job. A cursory glance at any Human Resources textbook will tell you that. There is respect for education out there but it's not the sole determining factor you infer it should be.

Max working week in Ireland is 39hrs and should you throw the overtime stick at me, theres more legislation governing time off and max working hours. I won't cite it unless you don't believe me. Which should give ample opportunity for our graduates to search for work or even do courses to further their study.

For someone who claims to be highly educated, that is pretty ignorant post.

I'd say a lot of people would love to get out of this country but for most of us in our mid 30's we have things that tie us be it kids mortgages or parents !

So sitting on the social welfare is less degrading?

this is a big problem with this country this sense of entiltment just has to go.

no one oues you anything, and because you spent a few years in college doesn't entitle you to anything

you're attitude towards work is a perfect example of whats wrong with this country

this is a big problem with this country this sense of entiltment just has to go.

no one oues you anything, and because you spent a few years in college doesn't entitle you to anything

you're attitude towards work is a perfect example of whats wrong with this country

and what about your own attitude ? it completely tells you everything about whats wrong with this country the greed that got us in to this situation and the attitude of people to less fortunate people who for the last 15 yrs or more have been paying their tax only for the domino effect to screw everything up!

So I pay tens of thousands of Euros in tax and this country doesn't owe me anything? I think that THAT is what is wrong with this country, yes it does owe me something, it owes me a lot in fact.
    And in my own case I didn't spend all my time in college I did my study at night courses and at the weekend , while working, and paying tax, and PRSI and all off the other things that entitle me to nothing seemingly. I have invested in this country and invested in myself, I deserve somthing in response to that and this country does not deliver on that.

• Advertisement

and what about your own attitude ? it completely tells you everything about whats wrong with this country the greed that got us in to this situation and the attitude of people to less fortunate people who for the last 15 yrs or more have been paying their tax only for the domino effect to screw everything up!

huh? how does my attitude have anything to do with greed?

I'm affected too, I just don't feel the need to whine and moan and blame everyone else.

who's blaming everybody else i am not!! i have quite a few family through no fault of their own have been let go after yrs of service ! we need to stimulate job growth, its not a lot to ask for ! but i'm not gonna kick a person when their down!

I'm just stating a fact with the domino effect the basic end of the construction era! it has a knock on to each business connected somehow! Heard golf clubs are also suffering!!

So I pay tens of thousands of Euros in tax and this country doesn't owe me anything? I think that THAT is what is wrong with this country, yes it does owe me something, it owes me a lot in fact.
    And in my own case I didn't spend all my time in college I did my study at night courses and at the weekend , while working, and paying tax, and PRSI and all off the other things that entitle me to nothing seemingly. I have invested in this country and invested in myself, I deserve somthing in response to that and this country does not deliver on that.

But your stating it like your some special case.

I did the same as you, i financed my own education, i did it while working and paying PRSI etc.

so what?

What's one going to do ? sit on their backside and whine about how you didnt cause this problem and how you gave so much to society and got nothing in return?

how your too good to work in mc d's?

Grow up ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Maebh

I'm not actually as qualified as the example I gave, I never said I was. I just know of examples whereby people are not ill-educated just because they're unemployed, and I believe that saying someone should go get a minimum wage job is ridiculous. They shouldn't have to. They are not helping the economy by doing so. They aren't helping themselves by doing so.

Also, while I know that higher education is not the sole means of showing your worth, and that there are highly intelligent people who have not attended/finished college, I don't believe that someone should have to ignore their own qualifications.

I term as "monkeys" those who, like previous employers I have had, feel that just because you're lower than they are on the wage ladder or younger than they are that they are superior. A lot of middle-aged people in a position of a little authority are like this, so no, I don't really wish to go back to some low-paid, brain numbing job in which I'm treated like a gobeen if I say I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Regardless of what your job was, how much you got paid, if you are unemployed you take what's about.

I'm qualified, educated, with a Mensa certificate, graduated, whatever you want to call it, I've had jobs from cleaning to my last job Corporate Financial Analyst.

I was never unemployed for long until my health packed up on me, and even now as soon as I can return to even just a few hours a week I will, and I will take whatever is available.

So called intelligent, graduated people, get of you high pride horses and take what's there.

Don't quote me on my spelling I'm dyslexic, no amount of degrees can cure that.

who's blaming everybody else i am not!! i have quite a few family through no fault of their own have been let go after yrs of service ! we need to stimulate job growth, its not a lot to ask for ! but i'm not gonna kick a person when their down!

who's kicking anyone?

seems to be most people are just trying to throw a bit of perspective to the reality of the situation.

others just bawl in self pitty and give out that the world doesn't understand them.

there's so much good advice given out in these various threads if those people who are "down" actually listened to what people were saying they might just realise how lucky they're and get out and do something about it instead of whining about what people are not doing for them

not you personally, in general.

But your stating it like your some special case.

I did the same as you, i financed my own education, i did it while working and paying PRSI etc.

so what?

What's one going to do ? sit on their backside and whine about how you didnt cause this problem and how you gave so much to society and got nothing in return?

how your too good to work in mc d's?

Grow up ffs.

I never stated that I was too good to work in McD's in fact I stated that I had applied for minimum wage jobs and had been rejected, I have no want to be on social welfare, but I feel that to be told that waht I am getting is generous when it is not in dorect comparison to the rest of the EU is an insult to me.
    I am emigrating so I am not sitting on my backside, far from it and that is a very broad assumation to make, but emigrating doesnt happen overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 macam

Lunar_Wire wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if there are any plans for a protests on budget day.
    Surely this Government should be out now!
    I'm willing to take a cut in my welfare when this crowd are out. I can't understand why they're still there. If running the state costs €400 million per week, then an election will only be a fraction of a weeks debt. They should loose their jobs through incompetence
    Being on soc wel. I did not contribute to the current mess. I did not purchase houses. I did not borrow massive sums of money. Can anyone still claim that this was irresponsible?

I think with prices reducing, cuts in all public expenditure makes sense, including social welfare. Just accept it and get on with it.

I'm not actually as qualified as the example I gave, I never said I was. I just know of examples whereby people are not ill-educated just because they're unemployed, and I believe that saying someone should go get a minimum wage job is ridiculous. They shouldn't have to. They are not helping the economy by doing so. They aren't helping themselves by doing so.

They could help themselves, they would be out meeting new people, they could be learning a new skill, when a job comes up they will show an employer they didn't think they were too good to work, they pulled up their sleeves and did something about it instead of sitting at home watching the afternoon show or some other rubbish.

Your looking at it the wrong way.
    Also, while I know that higher education is not the sole means of showing your worth, and that there are highly intelligent people who have not attended/finished college, I don't believe that someone should have to ignore their own qualifications.

and there's a lot of complete and utter morons who are educated to a "high standard" with degree's etc. I keep going over this but the vast majority of degree's are worth toilet papaer and no more, it's not a big deal to have one anymore, the dog in the street has them.
    I term as "monkeys" those who, like previous employers I have had, feel that just because you're lower than they are on the wage ladder or younger than they are that they are superior. A lot of middle-aged people in a position of a little authority are like this, so no, I don't really wish to go back to some low-paid, brain numbing job in which I'm treated like a gobeen if I say I read.

There will always be people in higher positions that don't deserve to be there, just look at the majority of our higher paid PS workers. this is a fact of working life, you get on with it do your job and concern about your work and not theirs

you're really coming across like some insecure spoilt child.

I don't mean to be insulting but it's how your posts come across.

• Advertisement

I just know of examples whereby people are not ill-educated just because they're unemployed, and I believe that saying someone should go get a minimum wage job is ridiculous. They shouldn't have to. They are not helping the economy by doing so. They aren't helping themselves by doing so..

Er, they are helping the economy - less welfare to pay out along with more PRSI coming in. And they're helping themselves too - more money than being on Welfare and in most cases a damn good experience to boot.

Advertisement