Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy in Rathoath/Ashbourne/Dunshaughlin

Options
  • 07-12-2009 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi Folks, am looking to buy somewhere in above areas. Have budget at 250k, but with prices now coming down, would be looking to spend a bit less. Dont know the areas that well, but they seem to be nice enough, as I live and work in Blanchardstown at present, think those areas would be the best as fairly easy to commute to. Is there any area that people would recommend to buy or to avoid, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

What type of pad are you looking for?
    Im sure you would find what you are looking for on myhome.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

im from out that general direction and IMO it would be either Ratoath or Dunshaughlin,no offence to ashbourne ,just dont like the place

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I don't know about Ratoath or Ashbourne but house prices are still ridiculously inflated in Dunshaughlin...I don't know why but they barely seem to have come down at all, a lot of the houses seem to be more expensive even than a lot of Dublin areas. I guess it depends what you're looking for, but don't expect go get much for €250k!

I don't know about Ratoath or Ashbourne but house prices are still ridiculously inflated in Dunshaughlin...I don't know why but they barely seem to have come down at all, a lot of the houses seem to be more expensive even than a lot of Dublin areas. I guess it depends what you're looking for, but don't expect go get much for €250k!

the prices of houses in dunshaughlin are a disgrace ,was looking around myself and coundn believe the money they looking for ,for sub standard houses ,and i no this cause im in the building game and have lived in and worked in gafs in dunshaughlin IMO with your budget id be looking at ratoath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'm renting in Ratoath at the moment and out of curiosity I had a look at the prices and would concur with the above opinions. Hugely optimistic asking prices.

I regularly pick up the local free rag the Meath Echo and even there are a couple of estate agent columns in it. It's even been stated here that house prices are unrealistic, which tbh is unusual considering their line of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'd agree with the poster above... Ashbournes a no go in my books. Rough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think Ratoath is a nicer spot than Dunshaughlin. Wouldn't go near Ashbourne. However if your working in Blanch I would also look Maynooth. It's only 30 mins to Blanch, with better access to Dublin. I'm sure if you start making offers you will notice major differences in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

I think Ratoath is a nicer spot than Dunshaughlin. Wouldn't go near Ashbourne. However if your working in Blanch I would also look Maynooth. It's only 30 mins to Blanch, with better access to Dublin. I'm sure if you start making offers you will notice major differences in price.

Rataoth is a lovely spot, tis true, Have you considered Navan, It has all the shopping, gyms, clucbs etc and is only 20 mins from Blanch, and the M3 will be finished next summer, it will only be 10-12 mins from Navan.

€250 would get you a great house, a mate of mine recently paid €192k for a 4 bed crackin little house on the Dublin side of Navan...

just a thought for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Would you consider Dunboyne, great area and for €250 you could get http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/22-the-park-dunboyne-castle-dunboyne-co-meath/131192 ??

Know for a fact that these were somthing like 360k about 3-4 years ago, few of us were talking about this place and it really is a bargin !! ( no, im not a EA :D ) and its closer to Blanch than the other places.

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Rataoth is a lovely spot, tis true, Have you considered Navan, It has all the shopping, gyms, clucbs etc and is only 20 mins from Blanch, and the M3 will be finished next summer, it will only be 10-12 mins from Navan.

€250 would get you a great house, a mate of mine recently paid €192k for a 4 bed crackin little house on the Dublin side of Navan...

just a thought for you

Navan 20 minutes from Blanch?? I don't think so! I live in Dunshaughlin and when there's absolutely NO traffic, it takes me 15 minutes, and I'm a nifty enough driver. Dunshaughlin to Navan is another 15 minutes, again with no traffic. I work in Blanch and it takes me about 40 minutes to get there or get home in rush hour traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

Navan 20 minutes from Blanch?? I don't think so! I live in Dunshaughlin and when there's absolutely NO traffic, it takes me 15 minutes, and I'm a nifty enough driver. Dunshaughlin to Navan is another 15 minutes, again with no traffic. I work in Blanch and it takes me about 40 minutes to get there or get home in rush hour traffic.

I can't argue with experience, I was just thinking that the M3 would make a huge differrence and according to property reports, the likes of Navan, Dunshaughlin, Ratoath that will have access to the road will retain a good market value. Anyway each to thier own, was just a thought.

I wasn't disputing that Navan wasn't a good place to buy, just saying that it's not 20 minutes from Blanch! I get the impression the OP doesn't want to commute too far. Also, when the M3 opens he'd be paying out his arse for daily tolls!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

gaz wac wrote: »
    Would you consider Dunboyne, great area and for €250 you could get http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/22-the-park-dunboyne-castle-dunboyne-co-meath/131192 ??

Know for a fact that these were somthing like 360k about 3-4 years ago, few of us were talking about this place and it really is a bargin !! ( no, im not a EA :D ) and its closer to Blanch than the other places.

Still overpriced IMO. It's advertised as a townhouse yet it's not even in the town. The rent in this place wouldn't fetch much more than €1000. If you were to take rental yield at an optimistic 9% this would give you a value of €172,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

gaz wac wrote: »

Wouldnt be into town house, need to be Semi Detached, as married and will have kids in the future, but yeah am looking in to Dunboyne and Maynooth aswell.

Wiley1 wrote: »

just a thought for you

Even with the m3 opening, you would be putting in a lot miles so am not to sure about Navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

rizzee wrote: »

True enough, I would not go with Ashbourne either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

http://www.daft.ie/meath/houses_for_sale/ashbourne/

A few houses/apartments in Ashbounre.

Not sure what all the hatred for Ashbourne is. It's nice enough and is still a growing town with plenty more shops etc to come. Close to Blanch and is very accessible.

Don't know much about Dunshaughlin but Ratoath is quite nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

If you are thinking long term and looking at having family etc then do your homework on schools. Ash/Ratoath are heading for big trouble with exploding population and limited school places. Dunshaughlin did not have the same level of dev and seems to be in a better position re schools. I know navan is heading for a big crisis next sept at both primary and secondary schools. Another point worth thinking of.

Whats wrong with Ashbourne? How is it a bad area??

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

rizzee wrote: »

Ah lads,

Donmt let this turn into oh Ash is rough cause its near Finglas. I have lived in other areas around Dublin and can gaurentee Ash is not rough and has a hell lot more facilities to offer than either Rath or Dun. Dont think "rough" wise there is much to choose between these 3 but Ash has way more to offer. For sure it has a few groups of kids hanging around but its not baghdad !!.

OP why dont you just drive around a few times at different times of the day and night including late at night and get a feel for it. Think you should make your mind up on "rough" score yourself let people on hear advise what the towns have to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I would also rule out Ashbourne. Too many Finglas Heads

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

Ashbourne is a great town , streets ahead of Ratoath and Dun in terms of facilities, ie cinema, retail park,6 supermarkets ,town centre with all of the shops, 12 + restaurants including the fab Eat Zen + plenty of pubs/hotels,best for public transport/nightlink. Alot of negativity about it being 'rough' like as if its neilstown or something , like hello i dont think so. Ratoath has been in the local press for its fair share of tuggary,vandalism,graffiti by gangs of youths. On the M3 , its still not open , it will be tolled, we have had the M2 for years serving the M50 in 7 mins and toll free. So drive around all 3 towns look their facilities and have a look out for so called tuggary or roughness and decide for yourself.
    Where do you think people from Dun and ratoath go to do their shopping , yes you guessed it Ashbourne as their is nothing in Dun and Ratoath.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

endasmail,rizzee and howjoe1 where are you from then ?

dublin mate. knew a few that moved to ash and couldn't wait to leave, having a few shops isn't the criteria to live in a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    dublin mate. knew a few that moved to ash and couldn't wait to leave, having a few shops isn't the criteria to live in a place

It seems a lot of people are knocking Ashbourne without being able to back it up. If its not "One of my mates", its "I know of somebody out there that hates it"!!!!.

brigadear wrote: »
    It seems a lot of people are knocking Ashbourne without being able to back it up. If its not "One of my mates", its "I know of somebody out there that hates it"!!!!.

Look don't take it personal. People have opinions, some based on third party advice. I believe Moyross in Limerick is rough but don't intend to move to it for conclusive personal proof.:rolleyes:

jack321 wrote: »
    endasmail,rizzee and howjoe1 where are you from then ?

from close enough to ashbourne,ratoath and dunshaughlin.

why do ya ask ?

brigadear wrote: »

are u looking for statistics?

people have opinions on certain places
    between ash,dunshaughlin and ratoath ,ashbourne would be the bottom of the three IMO

it is not baghdad ,or anything like it ,but there is an element in the place
    and has been for the last 10 years or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

M3 Toll will not affect Ratoath residents commuting to Dublin

Dunshaughlin has been selected for future Train Station (if it ever runs to Navan)

Dunboyne will have Train station next year

take your pick!

• Advertisement
Advertisement