Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Face - Moisturiser/Facial Scrub/Exfoliator

• 07-12-2009 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Your probably all sick of me starting threads lol:o

Anyway, I have dry skin, sensitive skin and sometimes my skin gets oily. I get spots regularly and absolutely anything can trigger off me skin peeling for no reason. I use Witch Hazel Clear Pore Gel daily as a moisturiser, but find it's starting to cause spot rather than clear them.

1) I need a moisuriser. What ones is the best for my skin?

I have tried Nivea, Vichy, Johnsons/Johnsons&Johnsons, Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden and god knows how many others. They all make my skin greasy and feel heavy on my face.

I can use Clarins and Clinique, but find that some of their products make my skin oily.

2) I have only noticed that I have Blackheads on my nose - I think he last time I had them was when I was 14-16. How do I get rid of them? and then being left with a permanent scar on my face.

3) I use this facial scrub on my face ever 2-3 days (eveyr day is just too much for my face) and lately it seems to sting like hell, so take it off asap. Is there another exfoliator/facial scrub out there I can use?

And twice a month I use this clay-mask, which is brilliant.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 justynecs

hi orlaith!!

ive been using lancomes hydra zen moisturiser for the past few months, but it is their cream/gel one, it's extremely soothing and feels great on my skin, i had the problem of moisturisers always feeling greasy but this one never does. and it states that it is made for all skin tyoes, including sensitive.

also, a lot of your skin problems are possibly caused by you using facial scrub so often, it is really really bad for your skin to use it that often, you're really only suppose to use it once a week, twice a week at the very most and that's if your skin is particularly bad at that time. over exfoliating will cause your skin a lot more problems than it would fix, this is because it doesnt give your skin enough time to allow new skincells to form as you're always getting rid of them!!

i hope some of this is helpful!!

How about Oil of Olay beauty fluid?
    I find that is non greasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Hi I have the same type of skin as yourself.

As a moisturiser I have two depending on my skin, for those very dry days I have Clinique dramatically different moisturiser but like yourself it can make me feel greasy but if you let it soak in for 10-15mins before your make up its fine. But it is expensive, think I paid ~ €45.

For those oily days I recently bought Nivea Oil free moisturising fluid, it says it has "mattispheres" which mattifies the skin. I bought it thinking its cheap so I'll see if it works while being skeptical but find it good. It soaks right in and I don't feel greasy after using it.

Also If my skin is really dry I put E45 on my face at night, put it on thick so it feels greasy but in the morning after I do my face routine my face is softer and not dry.

I myself have blackheads on my nose it annoys me SO much!!
    I'm using a clean and clear scrub at the moment its making them less noticable but they're not gone! Other people say they can't notice them but I do!

I find Clinique Step 2, Clarifying lotion great. It says it gently exfoliates the skin for the need of dry in the cheeks to normal to oily in the T-zone. Also says it de-flakes the skins surface. It really does. I have no dry patches after I use this. It's like a toner just liquid so you just rub it on with a cotton pad. It smells stongly of alcohol but works great and the bottle lasts ages!

Hope some of that helps! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I have that dryish irritable gets upset type of skin... I have tried all the moisturisers under the sun, the one I have used now for the last 18months is Decleor Hydra Floral Day moisturiser. Clerys 60euro for 50 ml. A joy to use and so agrees with my skin. Need to moisturise once in the morning with this and then at night. Found with Clarins and others I was repeatedly using during the day.

PS. I have started to order my Decleor in recent months from QVC.ie and I can get the 50ml moisturiser and other sample goodies for around the 46euro mark incl P&P.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I find St. Ives Apricot Scrub to be a great facial scrub. I definitely would get the one for sensitive skin though, because the other one can leave your face very red after using it. But maybe that's just me lol :)

I always get loads of blackheads on my nose too, they're so annoying! I dab a little bit of tea tree oil on them before going to bed, and they always seem to not look as bad in the morning. I would only use the tiniest possible amount if you have dry sensitive skin though, because the tea tree oil tends to dry my skin out, and I've really oily skin!

hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

i have the same type of problem as you, except i would be more prone to spots rather than peeling.
    i went into clinique and i started using the 1 2 3 step, wash, toner and moisturiser.
    think its great but it does nothing for my spots. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for all the info and recommendations.

I had now idea about using the facial scrub so often, your info explains why it stings now when I use it so often. I won't use it for two weeks and give my face time to recover.

hanner For your spots, I recommend "Witch Hazel Clear Pore Gel", I find, within a few hours of putting it on, my spots go down a bit are usually gone after a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

really?! thanks il give it a go! :)

hanner wrote: »
    really?! thanks il give it a go! :)
    Yeah.

It's not expensive either, think it's about €5.50, but if you use it only on your spots (unlike me, lol) it should last you ages. One tube lasts me about a month, and I use it daily, all over my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Cliniques Dramatically Different moisturiser but the gel one, it's much better if you have oily skin.
    I love all the Neutrogena Visibly Clear products, i've been using them for years. The oil-free moisturizer and blackhead clearing scrub are great.

• Advertisement

Thank you marxcoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

I've been using a moisturiser from Lidl for the past few months and I have to say that out of all the expensive/cheap creams Ive used this one has come up trumps. It may not suit oily skin though. It sinks into the skin lovely and doesnt leave and greasiness,really good under makeup and very good for dry patches. I think its just called "Antiwrinkle Cream" and comes in a black tube...best of all it only costs about €2.00...its my favorite product at the moment! :)

I cant recommend it enough and have all my family using it! worth a try anyways!

Thanks everyone. I read some reviews online and eventually went with nesbitt's recommendation and got the Decelor cream, and I cannot believe the difference with my skin.

Now, I'm looking to get a Daily Facial Wash.

I can't use soap on my face, so thought a facial wash would be ok.

I have absolutely no idea which one to get though.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Afrocelt

-Orlaith- wrote: »

2) I have only noticed that I have Blackheads on my nose - I think he last time I had them was when I was 14-16. How do I get rid of them? and then being left with a permanent scar on my face.

A baking soda scrub does get rid of blackheads.(Just get some baking soda and mix with enough water to make a paste).
    It might leave your skin abit dry afterwards so be sure to use your moisturiser. Using this scrub has even better results I 've gathered when you steam your face first.
    It might be batter to dab the paste on just the blackheads until when you are rinsing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I find St. Ives Apricot Scrub to be a great facial scrub. I definitely would get the one for sensitive skin though, because the other one can leave your face very red after using it.

+ 1 for St. Ives.
    I use it 2 or 3 times a week, in the mornings and I find it really smooths out my skin and peps it up.
    I always get loads of blackheads on my nose too, they're so annoying! I dab a little bit of tea tree oil on them before going to bed, and they always seem to not look as bad in the morning. I would only use the tiniest possible amount if you have dry sensitive skin though, because the tea tree oil tends to dry my skin out

Good advice!
    Tea-tree oil is a life saver. I use it on spots to dry them out. It's great to clear up blemishes, but as you said, very drying.

Hi OP,

Facial wash should be fine. You mentioned you have sensitive skin so look for one specially formulated for your skin tone.
    I'd avoid anything (in your whole skin-care routine) with alcohol or astringents in them.
    They can be very harsh on sensitive skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

I have absolutely no idea which one to get though.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks again.

I've recently started using Cetaphil on the recommendation of a Dermatologist. You can get it in any pharmacy - the packaging is terrible but it's great stuff! It doesn't foam up since there's no soap in it so wasn't sure how effective it was at first, but my skin feels super clean and super soft after using it! love it!

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

OP, I'd recommend you get a dermalogica facial done because they will do a face mapping first identifying all the problem areas.

It's most likely that you have combination skin which is sensitive and prone to drying out in the winter. It's what most Irish people have.

It's difficult to find a moisturiser that suits your skin and you really have to experiment until you do. Decleor is a great product using botanicals so it's ideal for sensitive skin.

I try to use a mud mask once or twice a week, a hydrating mask once a week and use an oil based serum at night time because believe it or not it actually helps with the oily t-zone area while treating dry areas.

Dermalogica facials are usually brilliant as the therapists have been trained very well. I personally think they're great for sorting out problem skin.

Advertisement