Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ehh I have no firewall, hel hel help

• 07-12-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Ok chumps & chumpetts, Since i didn't want to spend money on norton anti-virus for my pc and it was out of date etc i uninstalled it from my Vista ran pc, now i have no firewall which i thought my windows would have one(not a pc expert) So now i cannot connect to the internet grrrrrrrrrrr, i am at a loss with this, i have avg installed but i cannot go online for updates, can someone please help me with this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

did you properly uninstall norton before installing AVG?

you do not need a firewall to connect to the internet, so something else is wrong.

Try uninstalling AVG and attempt to get online again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

I downloaded avg before I uninstalled antinorton virus, and to days later i got rid of norton and now it wont let me go online, my net is connected but it wont load the Internet pox explorer or firefox! im getting a bald patch from scratching my head:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

whats a firewall?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

hmm. what happens why u try to connect? what is message?

the message i get is not cabel is connected for the net even though ive selceted broadband meteor wireless,, the internet is connected but it just won't load the page

• Advertisement

this is for my pc and not my laptop im using, don't want to confuse as to how im on boards and not being able to load explorer or firefox;)

restart pc,?
    its connected but wont load page, try different website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i had the same problem with a friend's pc when norton expired. the horrible pile of crap completely banjaxed her internet connection... go into control panel and add/remove programs and make sure that everything related to norton is totally removed

argosy2006 wrote: »
    restart pc,?
    its connected but wont load page, try different website

ok this problem persists my pc not my prvider, as my laptote works a charm with 3g and meteor, it wont find my home page ie google or anything else i type in as it wont load anything, it wont realise that i am connected to the net even though i am both with firefox and internet explorer, turning it off and on wont fix this problem???:rolleyes:

hmmm,
    go back to basics and start internet connection wizard, make new connection,

• Advertisement

ive done that, ive done alot, i do know a good bit, but not that much lol

lets see if your connected.

click on the start button,
    just above it in the "start search" window, type "cmd"
    then type "ipconfig"

this will return info regarding your connection,
    such as,

ip address,
    subent mask,
    default gateway,

there should be values beside these.

Disable any other network adapters which are not in use.

Also, check if every Norton product has being uninstalled.
    And to be sure you can "ctrl, alt & del" together to bring up the task manger and click on process's which will present what proccess's are running on your pc, if there is a norton product still there, kill it.

tman wrote: »
    i had the same problem with a friend's pc when norton expired. the horrible pile of crap completely banjaxed her internet connection... go into control panel and add/remove programs and make sure that everything related to norton is totally removed

Cheers chump, i hate norton its pox, will check if its fully gone,
    hopefully it works as i need to get a few updates and patches etc. its fully insured for 3 years but i dont want to have to use it unless i can sort it myself

NoDrama wrote: »
    lets see if your connected.

click on the start button,
    just above it in the "start search" window, type "cmd"
    then type "ipconfig"

this will return info regarding your connection,
    such as,

ip address,
    subent mask,
    default gateway,

there should be values beside these.

Disable any other network adapters which are not in use.

Also, check if every Norton product has being uninstalled.
    And to be sure you can "ctrl, alt & del" together to bring up the task manger and click on process's which will present what proccess's are running on your pc, if there is a norton product still there, kill it.

thanks dude, i will do that , if it is uninstalled i will get the tech out, after all thats what i paid the insurance for, i really dont want to wipe the pc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

maybe google could help?

No worries.

Again with norton, when you do an uninstall, there seems to be 2 or 3 Norton applications to uninstall, a live update app etc which could cause conflicts if another anti-virus app is operating. So it would be worth to go back to "control panel" "remove prog" for a gander.

I would advise downloading an app called "CCleaner", it's free, and it will clean the registry and will remove invalid entries, and it generally keeps the machine smooth.

As for a firewall, "zonealarm", their free version is more than adequate.

Hope you get it sorted.

Add/Remove programs is NOT the way to remove a norton product, and thats probably responsible for 99% of the problems caused by removing a norton product. They're deliberately programmed that way to make it all but impossible for malware to eliminate it from a machine. But for the remote chance of such an exploit ever doing that, it sure causes user headaches wayyy more often than a virus tries to remove your security software.

You will want to download and run the appropriate Norton Removal Tool from the Norton website to properly remove all traces of the software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Overheal wrote: »
    Add/Remove programs is NOT the way to remove a norton product, and thats probably responsible for 99% of the problems caused by removing a norton product. They're deliberately programmed that way to make it all but impossible for malware to eliminate it from a machine. But for the remote chance of such an exploit ever doing that, it sure causes user headaches wayyy more often than a virus tries to remove your security software.

You will want to download and run the appropriate Norton Removal Tool from the Norton website to properly remove all traces of the software.

+1. Norton is notoriously difficult to remove, you need to run that tool. That could be your problem.

Online Armor free version is very good, but for less annoyances, PC Tools firewall is excellent. Just google them or download from download.com.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ok there is no anti norton on the pc, so now im at a loss ???
    pile of pox retarding my pc up, norton is a virus.
    cant download new updates onto my fcked pc as i cant go online

I think the techs should come out and have a goo at it , as i get it from the pc cover i got, god bless insurance:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

At this point I would strongly suggest the following course of action:
    • System Restore back to a point prior to having removed Norton.
    • Check that your network access is now working again.
    • Remove AVG from your system.
    • Reboot.
    • Check that you have working network access.
    • Go to the Symantec site and remove Norton using the correct removal tool for whatever products you have installed. Follow the exact steps described for your Norton product.
    • Reboot and check your network access. Ensure that your Windows Firewall is enabled.
    • Download and install a suitable alternative product for protecting your system. You may wish to consider Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG, Avast!, Kaspersky, NOD32, and ZoneAlarm Free amongst your candidate products.
    • Test that your network access is working correctly

If after following the above you still encounter problems, let us know the details and hopefully we'll be able to help.

mockler007 wrote: »
    pile of pox retarding my pc up, norton is a virus.
    Oh it may at times feel that way when you do something with it you arent meant to do (like run the windows uninstaller on it) but its really not.

Another thing you can try if the system restore fails is to install a new trial version of the norton product you previously had to see if that a) installs correctly, implying the old install was correctly removed and b) your connection is restored. Then, remove the product, using the correct Removal Tool from the website.

Advertisement