Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DID Electrical

Options
  • 06-12-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Sorry to pick up an old post but has anyone had problems getting refunds from DID electrical.

On Saturday my wife bought a Top of the range Blue Ray Player and a HDMI lead which was not included for an additional €40. When she brought it home I noticed that tyhe legnth was 1.5M and we needed 3m.

So I brought it back the next day to get a longer one. They had a 2M one and a 4M one but no 3. The 4M one was €120.00 and I didnt want to spend that amount on a cable. So I said thats fine can you give me a refund. They said only in the form of a credit note. I said I wanted the refund because I wanted to buy the cable somewhere else. The other perople ( they looked as bemused as I did) in the shop could see me arguing with the Manager who was trying to push this 4M which was too long cable for €120.00 and broker his heart by knocking €10 off!!

Eventually he gave in and agreed to a refund which could only be issued by cheque from their head office!!

We have bought a hugh amount of equipment for houses we have owned over the years and to be honest this left a bitter taste in my mouth. Just badly treated.

To top it off I purchaced a 3M cable with GOld plateing for €20 in Power City subsequently.

Very poor!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well Gracie you actually have NO right for any refund in that case because there was nothing wrong with the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, please start a new thread, rather than digging up old threads.

Essentially, there was nothing wrong with the cable and your wife bought it assuming that it was correct. DID did not have to offer you a refund as there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Gracie100 wrote: »
    To top it off I purchaced a 3M cable with GOld plateing for €20 in Power City subsequently.

Gold plating doesn't really do anything for you either, it's just a marketing gimmick to make you think it's better than the silver coloured ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

jor el wrote: »
    Gold plating doesn't really do anything for you either, it's just a marketing gimmick to make you think it's better than the silver coloured ones.
    Well the cable does make a difference (and a slight one) but you'd need to have a 4k TV with a 5k sound system etc. with perfect cabling to notice that one part is not best possible and even then it is not a big difference (i.e. only apply for the most extreme of owners).

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Nody wrote: »
    Well the cable does make a difference (and a slight one) but you'd need to have a 4k TV with a 5k sound system etc. with perfect cabling to notice that one part is not best possible and even then it is not a big difference (i.e. only apply for the most extreme of owners).

How? Its a digital signal, all 1's and 0's, how can there be any variables?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mataguri wrote: »

There can't. Its a legacy from the old analogue days where it had a actual point.
    jor el wrote: »

It does in the long run if you find yourself constantly removing and inserting the plug. The gold plate is a more malleable metal and is less likely to damage/deform the socket long term. But it's not a issue with pretty much everybody as the cable stays where it is for most of its life.

Op, DID etc make a good deal of money on cables. Your only right in this case was researching the price before you bought it and you waived that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

The law is on their side. A lot of stores refund as common courtesy it is not required though. Honestly I prefer dealing with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Gold is more expensive than silver and yet silver is the best conductor there is! Gold is worse than copper in terms of conductivity.
    Marketing gimmick (although I agree that better cables do make a difference on high-end systems)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Mataguri wrote: »

It's a digital signal but it's still passing over a physical link. Data that passes over a network is also digital but still suffers loss, especially over great distances. By your reasoning, it should be simply impossible for packet loss to occur, but it does.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sleipnir wrote: »
    It's a digital signal but it's still passing over a physical link. Data that passes over a network is also digital but still suffers loss, especially over great distances. By your reasoning, it should be simply impossible for packet loss to occur, but it does.

Thing is if you were loosing alot data across a gold HDMI cable you'd notice it alot in sound and picture quality, fact remains the average joe just doesn't need to waste money like this as they will never any thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement