Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

road rage at learner drivers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

The beeping can be of a different character as well...I don't mind a beep or two aimed at me when I am perceived to have done something wrong - causes me to replay what I did or didn't do and work out what the problem is or was, or if there was one.

The blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast of the horn on the (very rare honest) occasions I stalled e.g. at lights is of course very helpful in the contemplative, meditative sense as I restart the engine, and ensures that I am aware that I should do so as quickly as possible - which otherwise would not have occurred to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Happened to me tonight. Was going down the coast there by Clontarf along the part that's 50kmh and I was doing that on the button yet people were undertaking me in the bus lane. <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

hunter164 wrote: »
    Happened to me tonight. Was going down the coast there by Clontarf along the part that's 50kmh and I was doing that on the button yet people were undertaking me in the bus lane. <SNIP>

Are you sure you shouldn't have been in the bus lane yourself? Most people don't get that outside of the hours displayed on the sign, you should be in that lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ilovejames wrote: »
    i am a learner driver and i am getting sick of the impatient drivers in carlow!
    i do drive a bit slower than i should, i do cut out now and again and i am learning but its so hard when cars are constantly beeping and revving engines and overtaking and been so rude. we were all learner drivers once. Is it just me or is everyone in a rush flying around carlow? Some road manners would be much appreciated who agrees!
    p.s i have noticed that truck drivers are very nice on the roads.

dont worry, they hate cause they cant relate, i think all learners should get the chance to learn so they give other learners then the chance to learn so on so forth.

nothing is needed but good manners/vibes, i agree truckers are nice people.

Are you sure you shouldn't have been in the bus lane yourself? Most people don't get that outside of the hours displayed on the sign, you should be in that lane.

Why should have I been?

• Advertisement

hunter164 wrote: »
    Why should have I been?

If it was outside the hours of operation of the bus lane, you should have been driving in it, unless overtaking another car, or turning right, or if it was indicated otherwise.

If it was outside the hours of operation of the bus lane, you should have been driving in it, unless overtaking another car, or turning right, or if it was indicated otherwise.
    Well I was turning right just up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Finbarire

Hello, so if you were turning right, other road users were correct in passing you on the left, as per the rules of the road, i would like to sugest you read the rules of the road, any advice you want contact <SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Everyone was a learner at some stage
    I wouldn't be aggressive towards a learner, I've been that learner who stalls at lights.
    But hey, everyone in Ireland has stalled at some stage.

People see your L plates and beep the horn or take chances to overtake you.
    Be confident, remember your training and feck them all

When I was a learner I remember I used to speed up to get away from tailgaters. But when I had my instructor with me I'm say feck them all, I'd doing the speed limit in my town so overtake me if want, I'm not speeding up.

Find a good instructor OP and keep them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

mikemac wrote: »
    Everyone was a learner at some stage
    I wouldn't be aggressive towards a learner, I've been that learner who stalls at lights.
    But hey, everyone in Ireland has stalled at some stage.

People see your L plates and beep the horn or take chances to overtake you.
    Be confident, remember your training and feck them all

When I was a learner I remember I used to speed up to get away from tailgaters. But when I had my instructor with me I'm say feck them all, I'd doing the speed limit in my town so overtake me if want, I'm not speeding up.

Find a good instructor OP and keep them

ive never stalled at the lights but got nearvous when on myown in a car, i mean with other people i was grand ( never showing off... just more comfortable )but i sometimes found myself questioning my judgements.

always drove correctly though only ever stalled as i had a glitch with the accl. pedal, bar that i was grand.

if you need time to learn, learn now. Go up to a local big car park with an experienced driver and do everythign you get wrong over and over again

Practice Really makes perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I guess I'm one of the people that didn't 'get' this. I haven't seen this new rule anywhere. I presume it's new or I would have been told about it but I could be wrong. So does that mean outside the hours if I'm not turning right and I'm not in this bus lane, then I'm breaking the law? They really should have this in the Rules of the Road book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

You no more have to drive in a bus lane outside of the hours than you have to drive in any given lane which is going your direction of travel presuming you have a choice. Its an option, subject to your direction of travel. Where you can use a bus lane there will be an information plate telling you the hours during which it is for buses only (some are never useable except by buses/taxis).

Its in the Rules of the Road...page 69/70...my edition is March 2007...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Reloc8 wrote: »
    You no more have to drive in a bus lane outside of the hours than you have to drive in any given lane which is going your direction of travel presuming you have a choice.
    ahem. in this country, you have to drive on the left.

unless road markings dictate otherwise, then the leftmost lane is for driving in, and all other lanes are for overtaking. Outside a bus lane's operating hours, the markings mean nothing, so it should be considered the driving lane.

greenie wrote: »
    I guess I'm one of the people that didn't 'get' this. I haven't seen this new rule anywhere. I presume it's new or I would have been told about it but I could be wrong. So does that mean outside the hours if I'm not turning right and I'm not in this bus lane, then I'm breaking the law? They really should have this in the Rules of the Road book.

It's probably worded along the lines of 'should be' rather than 'must be', same as the driving and overtaking lanes on a motorway. You wouldn't drive along in the overtaking lane just because the rules of the road didn't tell you specifically it was illegal. I wouldn't worry about it though, most instructors wouldn't even bother telling you this. But just be more careful with things like this. If a lot of cars are undertaking you, or performing dangerous manoeuvres, check if you're doing something wrong. The majority of road users will never undertake, unless a situation like this occurs, where you're preventing them overtaking safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

It's probably worded along the lines of 'should be' rather than 'must be', same as the driving and overtaking lanes on a motorway. You wouldn't drive along in the overtaking lane just because the rules of the road didn't tell you specifically it was illegal. I wouldn't worry about it though, most instructors wouldn't even bother telling you this. But just be more careful with things like this. If a lot of cars are undertaking you, or performing dangerous manoeuvres, check if you're doing something wrong. The majority of road users will never undertake, unless a situation like this occurs, where you're preventing them overtaking safely.

When I think about it it does make sense, thanks pm. I guess I've never been in that situation (near one of the lanes outside bus hrs) but it's good to know anyway. I'm lucky in a way as I don't seem to be a 'hazard' for others...I never stall or drive under the limit so I don't think I'll be in a position where someone needs to undertake me.
    Lol I hate that I'm quite good yet fall to pieces in the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

ilovejames wrote: »
    i don't do anything wrong thats the whole point of what i am talking about is the fact that so called "experienced" drivers are in such a rush and so rude on the roads that they are illegally overtaking me and trying to intimidate me and speeding over the limit. whether i am with an experienced driver or a driving instructor or alone it does not make a difference. i do not see how i am irritating other traffic when i am simply trying to drive in a safe manner.

I know what you mean I got that alot with my L plates. Once I had a taxi driver beep me in a driving school car I mean FFS. My instructor just told me to totally ignore beeping and I did. Just take your time and drive safely if people have a problem with it let them stress. I've had my L plates down a few days now so I haven't noticed much of a difference yet.

What car do you drive? As someone else mentioned people beep crappy learner cars more than the L plates or crap driving. I drive a toyota starlet hence tons of beeping. Whereas when my Dad drives his BMW and doesn't indicate when changing lanes no one beeps him.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I'm doing my drivers test on friday. I have three years driving experience and am on my second learners permit. I started driving lessons four weeks ago as i have picked up some bad habits, coasting etc, whenever i have the driving instructor in the car the cars that are also on the road start beeping, flashing their lights, revving and overtaking when it is unsafe to do so. it drives me mad (excuse the pun). cant they see the learner sticker on my back windscreen? the driving instructor told me not to let it bother me but i cant help but get nervous. Get some patience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I have seen many instances of impatient drivers overtaking L plates when it was dangerous to do so.

I know which driver I'd take off the roads.

If you're behind a car that's travelling at the speed limit you should have no cause to overtake. If not then you should only overtake when it is safe to do so. Theres no doubt that the experience of getting caught behind a slow car can be frustrating, Driving down the country I've often been stuck for miles behind a car travelling fast enough such that it's difficult to overtake safely, but slowly enough to create a buildup behind it. Sometimes theres nothing you can do but be patient. It's a shame so many people can't manage that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ilovejames

an opel corsa yea that could be seen as a typical learner car lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ilovejames

i was replying to someones question about my car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

What car do you drive? As someone else mentioned people beep crappy learner cars more than the L plates or crap driving. I drive a toyota starlet hence tons of beeping. Whereas when my Dad drives his BMW and doesn't indicate when changing lanes no one beeps him.

I've noticed this too. Started learning in a 95 polo and when I stalled it only took drivers behind nano seconds to lean on the horn. Bout 3 months before my test the car decided that after 14 years it had had enough. Went out and got an 07 Seat Leon, and found that other road users were a little more considerate when the plates were up before I passed the test. It could be a case of considering that its a parents car, the parent is driving and just didn't bother to take the plates off.

Advertisement