Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 GPU's Or 1

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

anyone got a link to one of these 1080 (full HD) monitor's?

preferably 24"+.

if i were to buy one, and doing a lot of intensive gaming, what gpu would be suggested?

sorry to ask a question in OP's thread, but i think it might help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I will never buy an OCZ PSU after i had one and it started to make loads of noise after i had it a year and a half or so. Well i contacted OCZ and i had to post it all the way back to the USA so they could take a look at it repair/replace. They sent me a replacement which i never got! and i contacted them loads of times about it and they said someone got it and signed for it ect.... But it was not me.

Also the postage for sending a PSU to the USA is not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

BadCharlie wrote: »
    I will never buy an OCZ PSU after i had one and it started to make loads of noise after i had it a year and a half or so. Well i contacted OCZ and i had to post it all the way back to the USA so they could take a look at it repair/replace. They sent me a replacement which i never got! and i contacted them loads of times about it and they said someone got it and signed for it ect.... But it was not me.

Also the postage for sending a PSU to the USA is not cheap.

Ouch that's pretty nasty. I wonder if OCZ's quality control has gone down hill since the acquisition (or PCP&P's for that matter...)

I however did have an OCZ GameXtreme modular supply which I have to say was a fantastic unit - this was bought around 2 1/2 years ago, and never had a single issue.

Once again, I'll always advocate Enermax supplies.

And once again (as I always state on tech forums) that a PSU is the one component you should NEVER skimp on.

IMO its the most important part of any computer, yet people seem to overlook the fact that without a PSU, nothing else works.

RoyalMarineComm - take your pick (these are 22-23" screens):
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=11158&mfr=&filter=A00140.22-23.

24-25"
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=11158&mfr=&filter=A00140.24-25.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

And once again (as I always state on tech forums) that a PSU is the one component you should NEVER skimp on.

Made that mistake myself on my first build :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Only the vRAM of one card is seen by the OS, so only addressing of 1GB video ram is required, leaving 3GB of addressing space for everything else.
    Ill be a tard lol, thats not entirely correct, SLI and Crossfire work by sending the same geometry to both cards, therefore 2x1Gig cards still only have an addressable space of 1gig to uniquely identify each bit being displayed( because the data is effectively doubled in vram ) and will therefore take 1Gig of addressable space from the OS. Also, its not only the gfx card that reduces the max mem addressable by a 32 bit OS, everything that needs to be accessed( uniquely address ) from USB ports to dvd drive configuration all eats away from the max.

/end of being a tard :P

Its been shown that the limitation imposed by Windows is a complete con, if the CPU is a 64 bit CPU then intels memory management unit can allow all 32 bit OS's to address more than 4 gigs of ram, i read an article recently where they got 8gig running on XP or Vista 32 bit by tweaking the registry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Its been shown that the limitation imposed by Windows is a complete con, if the CPU is a 64 bit CPU then intels memory management unit can allow all 32 bit OS's to address more than 4 gigs of ram, i read an article recently where they got 8gig running on XP or Vista 32 bit by tweaking the registry.

32bit linux has the same 4Gb limit
    Addressing more than 4 GB of memory is possible in a 32-bit operating system, but it takes nasty hardware hacks like 36-bit PAE extensions in the CPU, together with nasty software hacks like the AWE API. Unless the application is specifically coded to be take advantage of these hacks, it's confined to 4 GB.

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    32bit linux has the same 4Gb limit

From here
    ahh i know, im just saying it is possible, ill see if i can dig out that old article on windows 32bit 8gig( i.e. ill spend 5 mins googling cos its been 3 or 4 months since i read it )

Advertisement