Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A or B? Any help making a decision is much appreciated.

• 07-12-2009 1:20am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been asked for a print of a photo, but I've two nearly the same and want to put my best foot forward (the person hasn't an opinion- either'll do). Now they are more than nearly the same and are in fact 90% the same picture...but I know what I like and I know what I think is "right" and I'm getting two different answers.
    I don't want to influence a selection by saying much more than that at the moment.
    It's good to get a pic displaying correctly and I think I might make a mistake here so thought it may be better to get a broader concensus.

A.
    02FD9DE317FC4EFEBE916D0E48480133-500.jpg

B.
    3F9B97F79315459CB8592C501A2F115A-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It like one of those spot the difference competitions :D

I Like the composition of
    A more, focus is more on plane, reflections on shoreline bit distracting in B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

A for me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

A. For me, very nice shot and as above the plane stands out a bit more and the eye is more drawn towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Also A, cant quite pinpoint why is there more contrast in it? it just stands out more to me.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

A without a doubt.
    The pier ends close to the end of the frame and looks more right than B where it ends in the sand and there is a bit more going on. For me this detracts from the main point of interest which is the plane in relation to the top of the pier thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

B.

A. ends too abruptly in the lower left hand corner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

A for me. Too much of the beach in B. In fact you could crop A to make it even better.

Nice photos anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well 7 to 1 in favour of A. I prefer A too but agree with fajitas! in that it ends too abruptly and yet I think because of this it adds a stronger dynamic to the whole...which is lost in B.

See: I shot A but wasn't fully convinced by it as it wasn't exactly how I invisaged the shot while waiting for them to be developed. I was a bit gutted to be honest so went and patched it up (in B) then I was just generally disappointed in myself...then I got to like A because it was the lesser of two evils...then a guy wants a print of it and it's a pic I'm not 100% sure of and my noggin had fallen between two stools....

Maybe macroB has the right idea...go for an even bolder crop...hmmmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

A for me, I think the column in B is too distracting from the more interesting plane coming in, Cool shots all the same, Where were they taken?

Jeez that water much come up a lot. judging by the length of that ladder.

• Advertisement

Having said that, there is a nice little reflection of the leading pier in B........

C?

A3D9A0C141264EA0B810F9D92B55A0D4-500.jpg

It's in the cultural mecca of Lanzerote Masada. The water wouldn't come much higher. It's up that far to stop people monkeying around on it I'd imagine...I know I tried and failed.

humberklog wrote: »
    Well 7 to 1 in favour of A. I prefer A too but agree with fajitas! in that it ends too abruptly and yet I think because of this it adds a stronger dynamic to the whole...which is lost in B.

See: I shot A but wasn't fully convinced by it as it wasn't exactly how I invisaged the shot while waiting for them to be developed. I was a bit gutted to be honest so went and patched it up (in B) then I was just generally disappointed in myself...then I got to like A because it was the lesser of two evils...then a guy wants a print of it and it's a pic I'm not 100% sure of and my noggin had fallen between two stools....

Maybe macroB has the right idea...go for an even bolder crop...hmmmm.

I wouldn't for a bolder crop on the bottom anyways - But you've gotta remember how it's going to look with a mount and frame on it - Some space around the edges will definitely be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Fajitas! wrote: »
    B.

This.

C?
    A3D9A0C141264EA0B810F9D92B55A0D4-500.jpg

D?

F33BF3D1C4AF42EBAD4B3BD3373847C9-500.jpg

I only realised that B was in that rather un-natural crop of 4/3 whereas now I've cropped it too 6/4...which is ahh....emmm.

Thinking of just throwing one at him and not worrying about it too much as it's hardly a pic I want to be buried with...but I still want to put out what I'm happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

B.

ColmDawson wrote: »
    This.

+1

exactly what Al said..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Is there any merit or reason for not cropping out the shore line?

DK32 wrote: »
    Is there any merit or reason for not cropping out the shore line?

Eh...only that that's not the picture if you get my drift?

That's not being pedantic...it's just the best way I can explain the reason why I wouldn't really consider it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Bolder crop works for me.,:)

hope ya dont mind but i tinkered with it a little in lightroom and this came out. :)

4164329441_eaf46059f4_o.jpg

If it was my photo i would probably play with it a lot more but thats just my personal style.,

Yeah I like that Masada...it's just that...well it's good but now it's just a plane...it's probably better in many ways but I don't really get it. Tellsya though I'm tired looking at it and gonna print this in the morning and if it comes out okish...then good enough. Until I change my mind...I have until Wednesday.

E:pac:
    E1989E37C42943EA8744A118E85EB3B0-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

B for me. The pier needs grounding.

Edit: Although I do like Masada's crop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I'm with the B people on this, the pier needs to be grounded imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm in the 'B' crowd too. Masada's crop does seem more epic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Another vote for B for the bottom of the pier, it needs context, and it needs some distance from the border, B gives both of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Another vote for B for the bottom of the pier, it needs context, and it needs some distance from the border, B gives both of those.

^ What he said, another in the late flood of votes for B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

E definitely :)

Thanks everyone...B got printed, cropped a little tighter to the bottom than in original B and a smidge more too than in pic D. Still don't like it but I don't think I ever will unless I re-shoot completely. I'd bring a tripod next time as is is very blowy when those yokes go flying over the bonce (nearly lost the wig a few times), a slightly lower angle too(from 5'7" down to about 4') and about 3 paces more to the left.

Thanks Crispin...it is most like E but a cleaner job on the shoreline PPing.

B got printed
    \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

...Still don't like it but I don't think I ever will unless I re-shoot completely...

What with it being in Lanzerote and all it'd be a real shame if you had to go back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

yeah, B for me too. Better composition.

Is there anything you can do with the brighter tone down the entire right hand side, maybe some vignetting adjustment or something - these tonal differences seem to get worse when they're printed.

H

What with it being in Lanzerote and all it'd be a real shame if you had to go back ;)

Terrible shame...11snoots for 200 Lucky Stripes...could nearly pay for its self.

Yeah, kinda closer to say E got printed...E with a twist of B.

Hugh_C wrote: »
    yeah, B for me too. Better composition.

Is there anything you can do with the brighter tone down the entire right hand side, maybe some vignetting adjustment or something - these tonal differences seem to get worse when they're printed.

H

Really struggled against an absolute mare of a light leak Hugh. I was only running in a Minolta XG9 and XG2 both were like the fecking Titanic after throwing a leg over an iceberg. Bit of tape on the seals and they're like a pair of nuns knickers now.
    But I underestimated the leaking at the time and was lucky to get anything off a roll. Flares everywhere...like a roller disco in Rialto.

Having said that, there is a nice little reflection of the leading pier in B........

Having received professional advice elsewhere I'm glad I jumped ship into the B camp :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Quello Serio

B.

I'm with Fajitas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

\o/

*champagne*

• Advertisement

Bit of tape on the seals and they're like a pair of nuns knickers now.
    They're still pretty holy then, yeah?

(I'll get my jacket...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

yup - without reading the all the replies, I say B for the same reason as Fajitas and others - it's just more comfortable with the extra bit of space at the foot of the foreground pillar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

B.

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I like B too. I think being able to see the pier actually in the water makes it more solid looking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I know you have printed it now .... but I like the B version too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I still like A :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Also ..... to be pedantic, that is not a pier. It is the Approach Lighting System for the Runway. That is why the aircraft is lined up above them. Previously I thought it was a T-VASI but now realise that they have to be located beside the Runway & not before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Donno which one is better. But A & C make quite a good crosseyed stereogram. :eek:
    02FD9DE317FC4EFEBE916D0E48480133-500.jpgA3D9A0C141264EA0B810F9D92B55A0D4-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

It's a bit late now, but i would have gone for B too. For the same points noted before.

Well went with this...it's okish, I kinda agree with the A camp but I had that nagging in the nog that won't let me alone sometimes. I knew well that there was more balance to the post being grounded but feared that I had started to allow rules and what not permiate my bean. But unbalance can be unbeautiful if unintended and I think that was where I had got lost. Pig headedness and fear...Fear nothing but fear itself (and other scary dangerous things).

F...

91287C7F66D74C4FB7C165810DB4AA76-500.jpg

Thanks for the help and input one and all.

I would really like to make the photo more personal and something that I like. I think it would look great if the plane was turned upside completely. Leave everything exactly as is but have the plane flipped 180deg onto its back. But I don't have the buttons on Picasa to do that. I don't know if there's such technology free out there or if I'd need a giant sized computer to do it...but it could look wonderful upside down.

I would really like to make the photo more personal and something that I like. I think it would look great if the plane was turned upside completely. Leave everything exactly as is but have the plane flipped 180deg onto its back. But I don't have the buttons on Picasa to do that. I don't know if there's such technology free out there or if I'd need a giant sized computer to do it...but it could look wonderful upside down.

v49uh0.jpg

:confused:

Hmmm like that but more carefully done. see the sky around it is flipped too. It would have to be perfect to work...and the plane enlarged a little.
    But cracking try...good man.

Hmmm like that but more carefully done. see the sky around it is flipped too. It would have to be perfect to work...and the plane enlarged a little.
    But cracking try...good man.

:P that took literally two seconds in paint.

Select -> right click -> flip/rotate -> flip vertical.

Back in a bit with a photoshop attempt...

1z2no9e.png

I don't quite understand the appeal of it though :pac:

(forgot to enlarge the first time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I don't quite understand the appeal of it though :pac:

You obviously haven't met Humberklog so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I don't know if there's such technology free out there

http://www.gimp.org/
    http://www.gimpshop.com/

• Advertisement