Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with a deactivated firearm?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi Shooters,

I'm interested in getting an old side by side hammer shotgun, one thats just to old to use for handy money and getting it deactivated here in Ireland, any one out there already done this and how do you go about it?
    I'm thinking of a handsome wall hanger, seen one in a pub in Limerick city, lovely old gun deactivated, but nice to handle and imagine swing on a cock pheasant with.

Also is there any gunsmith in the Republic that can deactivate a centerfire pistol to a standard that will keep the Gardai happy? What parts would have to be chopped, blocked and abused?

I'd prefer help from someone who has already done this than an opinion, but then theirs no harm in an opinion either I guess.

Thanks in advance,

The happyjack:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I'd be interested in getting my pistol deactivated at this stage too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supermac

I'd be interested in getting my pistol deactivated at this stage too
    have heard conflicting reports regarding the feasability of keeping a de-activated pistol/revolver. Gun dealer, sound chap, tells me that any hand gun de-act. or not does look real enough, and there,s the problem.IT,S buried deep in the 2009 legislation, he says, however a garda that I spoke to seemed au fait with the idea.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

If looks are a killer get rid of Airsoft, put a orange plug in and your now less than reall looking than a toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

supermac wrote: »
    have heard conflicting reports regarding the feasability of keeping a de-activated pistol/revolver. Gun dealer, sound chap, tells me that any hand gun de-act. or not does look real enough, and there,s the problem.IT,S buried deep in the 2009 legislation, he says, however a garda that I spoke to seemed au fait with the idea.:confused:

i don't know why it would be illegal to have a deactivated pistol or revolver so long as you have the permission of the super , after all if the work is carried out to the same standards that they currently use in the u.k, then the gun is basically a paper weight and next to impossible and not worth the bother to recommision .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've had some hassle trying to get authorisations, there isn't much in the way of motivation for a Super to grant you one.
    I'd say the majority of deacts in the country don't have authorisations attached to them and were either posted here unknowingly or bought up North where anyone over 18 can buy one. The same goes for antiques.

They'll probably ban them at some point anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

happyjack wrote: »
    Hi Shooters,

I'm interested in getting an old side by side hammer shotgun, one thats just to old to use for handy money and getting it deactivated here in Ireland, any one out there already done this and how do you go about it?
    I'm thinking of a handsome wall hanger, seen one in a pub in Limerick city, lovely old gun deactivated, but nice to handle and imagine swing on a cock pheasant with.

Also is there any gunsmith in the Republic that can deactivate a centerfire pistol to a standard that will keep the Gardai happy? What parts would have to be chopped, blocked and abused?

I'd prefer help from someone who has already done this than an opinion, but then theirs no harm in an opinion either I guess.

Thanks in advance,

The happyjack:)

HJ,

Just got my grandfathers old hammer action s/s deactivated last week however as I am sure you can appreciate I wouldnt be selling it. But on the deactivation thing, If you go to a RFD or gunsmith they should be able to deactivate it for you and write a letter stating the gun bearing the serial number..... blah blah is deactivated etc etc. Submit this to local FO or Supt and it should be that simple.

However I presume, with a lot of firearm issues it may be at the discretion of certain people and there may be varying conditions as to what constitutes a de-act firearm. Ive heard of RFD who cut firing pins and that satisfied the conditions but I have also heard of it being necessary to weld the action closed and drill a hole in the bottom of each barrell ( I presume where the forestock is positioned to maintain asthetics). So id say get your local RFD/gunsmith to remove/cut pins first and see how it lies with your local fo/supt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Going that there are now minimum EU standards for deact work,just chopping firning pins wont cover it.Basically the EU standard is to the UKs "old spec" firearms deactivation.Google that for more info

For a DBBL this would be;
    Removal of firing pins and a weld filling or steel pin and weld of both firing pin channels
    Drilling six holes per barrel of one eighth[I think] the calibre dia,near the chamber.[IOW six 8mm holes per barrel under the foregrip]
    Welding a steel disc over both chamber mouths.[Have seen some nice ones done with empty shotgun shell bases over the discs]
    Welding a steel pin thru a drilled hole in the chambers,not less than 6mm.
    IOW you could still strip, and dry fire the trigger,but otherwise it is a high tech club!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Going that there are now minimum EU standards for deact work,just chopping firning pins wont cover it.Basically the EU standard is to the UKs "old spec" firearms deactivation.Google that for more info

For a DBBL this would be;
    Removal of firing pins and a weld filling or steel pin and weld of both firing pin channels
    Drilling six holes per barrel of one eighth[I think] the calibre dia,near the chamber.[IOW six 8mm holes per barrel under the foregrip]
    Welding a steel disc over both chamber mouths.[Have seen some nice ones done with empty shotgun shell bases over the discs]
    Welding a steel pin thru a drilled hole in the chambers,not less than 6mm.
    IOW you could still strip, and dry fire the trigger,but otherwise it is a high tech club!

Many thanks or your info,

HJ:)

Advertisement