Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap one-way rental in Aust & NZ

Options
  • 07-12-2009 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi

First, sorry if this sounds like a plug, but I have been hearing from loads of people that they would love to get cheap one-way rentals up and down and across NZ and Australia for ages and I want to share how I did it. i'm irish, late-20s and spent 2008 and most of 2009 travelling and working in Oz.

I found a site (googling randomly) called www.standbyrelocs.com which sell rental relocations for companies like Britz, Apollo, etc. I've used it twice myself, once from Melbourne to Adelaide, and once from Adelaide to Alice Springs. Both our vans were new Mercedes Sprinter 6-berths with kitchen, toilet, the whole lot. Brilliant fun, we just stopped off in caravan parks along the way and plugged in for the night and used their showers.

The cost is $5 a day usually (look on the site for offers) plus around $20 a day to reduce the insurance excess to zero. there is also a $1000 deposit which is refunded when you drop the van at the new location. sometimes they offer free fuel or ferry costs (for tasmania or NZ), and they have limited kilometres for the route or you can pay for extra KMs for a detour. have a look at the T&Cs, there are limits on age, offroading, night driving, etc, etc but we stuck to all the rules and had a brilliant trip. fantastic, cheap way to see australia or NZ, we went all along the great ocean road, visited coober pedy, uluru, kata tjuta. it really is an amazing country.

Advertisement