Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for 2nd WH visa while on ETA?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi

I spent 2008/2009 in Oz on a 1st WH visa. I did the 3 months in NSW then worked in Melbourne. I'm returning to Melbourne in January to visit my gf, my mates, heading to Sydney to visit friends, etc, etc. I will be arriving on an ETA, a regular 3 month tourist visa, but I want to stay on with the 2nd WH visa. However I won't start work for at least 2 months so I don't want to enter on the 2nd WH visa because it will cut my working time to 10 months or less.

My question is; Can i apply for my 2nd WH visa while i am in australia on a tourist visa. I can't find anything to say yes or no definitely. i would appreciate it if anyone can confirm if this can be done, or if i will need to book flights to NZ to apply from there before returning to australia to work. thanks.

also, and sorry if this is a stupid question. on an irish passport can i just arrive to australia and get a tourist visa on arrival? i visited in 2004 and i'm pretty sure i didn't arrange anything beforehand, and when i arrived in 2008 i had applied online for the 1st WH visa from ireland. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Not 100% certain about needing a visa prior to arrival, but I think that you do. I will defer to somebody who knows a bit more about it though.

I am sure though that you can apply for the 2nd WHV while here on a tourist visa, I know of a few people who've done that and all got processed no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My question is; Can i apply for my 2nd WH visa while i am in australia on a tourist visa.
    Yes, it appears so
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

You must also:

* be outside Australia when the visa is granted, if applying from outside Australia
    * be in Australia when the visa is granted, if applying from in Australia
    * hold a passport for a country or region participating with Australia in the Working Holiday program.

also, and sorry if this is a stupid question. on an irish passport can i just arrive to australia and get a tourist visa on arrival? i visited in 2004 and i'm pretty sure i didn't arrange anything beforehand, and when i arrived in 2008 i had applied online for the 1st WH visa from ireland. thanks
    No, you need a ETA (tourist visa) can apply online for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

hussey wrote: »
    You must also:

* be outside Australia when the visa is granted, if applying from outside Australia
    * be in Australia when the visa is granted, if applying from in Australia

No, you need a ETA (tourist visa) can apply online for this

thanks hussey, i know you can apply for the 2nd visa while still in australia on the first, just not sure it it's ok on an ETA

thanks for the advice regards the ETA, i'll contact trailfinders and see if they can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

thanks hussey, i know you can apply for the 2nd visa while still in australia on the first, just not sure it it's ok on an ETA

thanks for the advice regards the ETA, i'll contact trailfinders and see if they can do it.

contact the Australia Visa department, it would be much easier and more accurate than trailfinders.
    I always thought you had to be on the 1st to get the 2nd, but it does not state that on website.

hussey wrote: »
    contact the Australia Visa department, it would be much easier and more accurate than trailfinders.
    I always thought you had to be on the 1st to get the 2nd, but it does not state that on website.

just applied for the ETA online, it's a simple process thankfully.

you can leave after the 1st WH visa and return any time before you turn 31 for the 2nd one, provided you have done the 3 months rural work. the 2 years don't need to be consecutive.

i'll update on anything i find out about the 2nd visa application in case anyone is in the same boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

As I mentioned up above, you can apply for the 2nd WHV from a tourist visa, 457 visa etc. The only stipulation when it comes to applying online, from within Australia, is that you have to enter the visa number that you're currently in Australia on, but once this is a valid visa of any kind, there's no problem with it at all.

Traq wrote: »
    As I mentioned up above, you can apply for the 2nd WHV from a tourist visa, 457 visa etc. The only stipulation when it comes to applying online, from within Australia, is that you have to enter the visa number that you're currently in Australia on, but once this is a valid visa of any kind, there's no problem with it at all.

hi traq. thank you for that, for some reason i managed to completely miss reading your first post last night! thanks again.

update:

i contacted the london high commision by email, they replied with;

"Thank you for your enquiry.

You should apply for this visa before arriving in Australia"

so it looks like i'll be making a run to NZ after all.

Advertisement