Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debater "Awards"

Options
  • 07-12-2009 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

No money I'm afraid but I'd like to see some recognition given to the users on both sides who made good contributions to the debate on this forum.

How it works is this:

Anyone can nominate people for the four categories. On Budget day I'll collate the nominations from this thread and pick the most nominated people and create a poll (I can only create polls with 10 options in them, so if there's more than 10 I'll remove people based on lowest number of nominations).

If you agree with someone's recommendations thank their post and it'll count as an extra vote for those people

Then a poll will be conducted where the winners will be decided.

The four categories are:

I've split it into two categories those pro-cuts and those anti-cuts. Pro simply means arguing for cuts, anti simply means arguing against them including but not limited to trying to argue for a different approach.

1) Pro-Cuts: Most informative poster.
    2) Pro-Cuts: Most passionate poster.
    3) Anti-Cuts: Most informative poster.
    4) Anti-Cuts: Most passionate poster.

You may nominate for as many or as little categories as you like and the only restriction is that you can't nominate banned users.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

2) Pro-Cuts: Most passionate poster. Dannyboy83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

> P. Breathnach

he tries to keep discussion centered on facts and provides insightful comments (from past experience?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

nesf wrote: »
    You may nominate for as many or as little categories as you like and the only restriction is that you can't nominate banned users.

how do we know who is banned?

and do you mean banned at the moment or has ever been banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Riskymove wrote: »
    how do we know who is banned?

and do you mean banned at the moment or has ever been banned?

I think hes referring to likes of Jimmy (is he still banned?) who surely would have won the most passionate debater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Will there be a 'most on the fence' category?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Long Onion wrote: »
    Will there be a 'most on the fence' category?

maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

ei.sdaorab wrote:

> P. Breathnach

he tries to keep discussion centered on facts and provides insightful comments (from past experience?)

Also my selection for most informative poster (outside of NESF himself who is a mod)
    segaBOY wrote: »
    2) Pro-Cuts: Most passionate poster. Dannyboy83

Cheers mate.

Could someone explain this pro/anti business a bit more please, I don't quite understand it.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Could someone explain this pro/anti business a bit more please, I don't quite understand it.
    Thanks

Are you going for the 'most on the fence' award as well?;)

Thanks

+1

is there really an "anti-cuts" group of posters?

to my view most people considered part of this group (e.g. P Breatnach) are simply reacting to certain claims and points of view

as oppossed to being "anti-cuts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

+1

to my view most people considered part of this group (e.g. P Breatnach) are simply reacting to certain claims and points of view

Indeed, this debate seems loaded. Why not something more inclusive such as for or against the government's policy, since NAMA, cuts, job creation (or lack thereof) could all be taken into account. I wonder if its even possible to have a proper debate over something which is as multi faceted as the current economic question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Dunno but if there is, I'M NOT IN IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

+1

agreed.

i think there are some of us who would like to see sensible polices from government and are neither pro or anti cuts. I just see things on both sides of this "argument" that just don't stack up and feel the need to challenge them. I guess I'm just anti-ranting and/or whining

We may aswell make some choices anyway, fairplay NESF for the idea.
    I will post up my choices shortly, stuck for time at the moment.

1) Pro-Cuts: Most informative poster: NESF (Scofflaw close 2nd)
    2) Pro-Cuts: Most passionate poster: Amhran nua (Darragh29 close 2nd)
    3) Anti-Cuts: Most informative poster: P.Breathnach (No visible competitor)
    4) Anti-Cuts: Most passionate poster: Riskymove (Gurgle close 2nd)

Number 4 was by far the hardest choice, had to rack my brains.
    For Number 2, I have a list of honourable mentions as long as my arm for the passionate pro-cuts side. I'm can offer the honourable mentions if requested but not sure if people want to be dragged out of the line up on either side.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

+1

Like I said it's broad and includes people arguing for alternative approaches to the Government's planned approach of cuts. Similarly like you said, "pro-cuts" is a loose term since most on the pro-cuts side would support *some* cuts rather than cuts in general. The other option would have been pro/anti PS workers which is even more loaded and doesn't capture those pro/ant Social Welfare reductions.

It's very much imperfect as a division but I couldn't think of a better one that captured the multiple debate topics as broadly.

Anti-Cuts: Most passionate poster: Riskymove (Gurgle close 2nd)

:)
    Number 4 was by far the hardest choice, had to rack my brains.

:confused:

Anti-Cuts: Most informative poster: P.Breathnach (No visible competitor)

:mad:

thats told me

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

+1 for both P.Breathnach and Dannyboy83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

the only restriction is that you can't nominate banned users.

Me.

Advertisement