Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofitting HRV to 2005 build possible?

• 07-12-2009 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi. Have an '05 build - 4 bed semi - thats not too bad by comparison with what else was built at the time. Have solid fuel stove in living room and oil central heating. Attic insulation is sufficient and no obvious draughts that I can think of.
    Heating system lacks stats - but this is something that will be rectified shortly.

I was just wondering what else can be done. Is it possible to utilise HRV system via a retrofit or is this simply not practicable? I'd imagine it depends on the standard of airtightness - or can airtightness be improved without prohibitive cost to make HRV retrofit a practicle move?

Also, any other suggestions on improvements would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Airtightness can be a problem, not insurmountable with careful work.
    Ducting can be more of a problem, running ducts large enough to efficiently move air can be a problem in a completed build.
    There are flat section ducts available but not sure on their airflow ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 feckoffcrow

Thanks CJH. Has anyone done this in a similar house?

What efforts should I be making with regard to air tightness? I have done all the obvious things - double checked seals on doors/windows, added seal to attic trap door, installed stove (albeit for the moment, its not got its own dedicated air supply). I'm sure it gets more complex than this.

The cavity in my house is open at the top ie. when in the attic, the top of the wall at the gable end is open. Is this correct? ...or should it be sealed. I'm not sure about the front/back walls as its very difficult to get into that small space with the roof closing down on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Orlavid

Did you ever get an answer on this. I have only heard good things on HRV, if you can live with a faint fan noise it seems to make a home more consistent and comfortable.

Can these systems be retrospectively installed? Also, any idea on cost. I want an idea of numbers before I get a sales guy crawling all over me.

Advertisement