Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Checkpoint on Private Road

• 07-12-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭

I live in Northwood Santry and a few days ago there was a checkpoint on the main avenue through the development. This is actually a private road, so are summons issued for tax, insurance valid here?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nope but make sure it has not been "taken in charge" by the corpo before you point that out to the judge all the same.

Try not to confess to continuing your journey onto the public highway thereafter

Also try not to confess getting nabbed just after you pulled OFF the public highway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭jd

No, it has not been taken in charge yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nope but make sure it has not been "taken in charge" by the corpo before you point that out to the judge all the same.

Try not to confess to continuing your journey onto the public highway thereafter

Also try not to confess getting nabbed just after you pulled OFF the public highway :D

but if he gets a summons/ fine in the post, it will give the location and time of when he was stopped.
    i has to say on the road were the checkpoint was set up.
    where he came from or going to would be irrevelent as it cannot state this on the summons/fine and he can only be charged/ fined on the basis of the information on the sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

jd wrote: »
    I live in Northwood Santry and a few days ago there was a checkpoint on the main avenue through the development. This is actually a private road, so are summons issued for tax, insurance valid here?

The Road Traffic Act of 1961 gives the Gardai authority on
    any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge

Northwood, as far as I know, is access by permission (since the management company can refuse people access if they want) so it falls under this act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

that would be my opinion too....was just going to say so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

markpb wrote: »
    The Road Traffic Act of 1961 gives the Gardai authority on

Northwood, as far as I know, is access by permission (since the management company can refuse people access if they want) so it falls under this act.

It gives them permission to enter but they are applying laws which are only applicable to public highways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i believe its an offence to use a car in a Public Place without insurance etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

another "thou shalt not get caught" thread on C&T...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

corktina wrote: »
    i believe its an offence to use a car in a Public Place without insurance etc

I vaguely remember some distinction between a private road which connects two public roads and a private road that is a cul de sac ...an example of the former would be the docks in Galway.

Best see a lawyer to find out if I am right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

• Advertisement
Advertisement