Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam - 22nd June O2, 23rd Odyssey -- All discussion, no ticket advertising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Yeah, my sister was near it - someone fell alright. Hope he's ok. If anyone knows or hears, let us know. My sister's kinda shaken by it.

Great gig. I love Given To Fly so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Great gig, I saw them in the London O2 last year though and thought that was better, tonight was probably marred by the fact that someone tried to slice one of my mates open with his keys before the first encore. Nacker bastard :mad: I stepped in to prevent it happening and things eventually fizzled out, but still put a downer on the night :(

That said though, fun had by all!

edit: I will say though, that when things died down a bit I told security and even though the guy had legged it they told me that if I saw him again to tell them and he'd be out of there, fair play to them, they even sent the yellow tops over to me and asked me to point him out, but he was gone unfortunately. This was in the standing section btw

Hmm... two guys started at each other near us, too - near the edge of block N on the upper tier. Three or four punters had to break it up. Shame twats can but tickets for places I want to be . . .

My son loved it - he did a Garth on all the lyrics, and was a bit restless in parts (so was I), but dug most of it.

Anyone know anything about that "new" son they did - it was great!

EDIT: Wait - were you near block N, hidinginthebush? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Hmm... two guys started at each other near us, too - near the edge of block N on the upper tier. Three or four punters had to break it up. Shame twats can but tickets for places I want to be . . .

My son loved it - he did a Garth on all the lyrics, and was a bit restless in parts (so was I), but dug most of it.

Anyone know anything about that "new" son they did - it was great!

EDIT: Wait - were you near block N, hidinginthebush? :eek:

I don't think so. We were in the standing section, to the right of the stage as you faced at it. Got a few handshakes from randomers when I go rid of yer man, which is always nice :)
    think he was bringing a lot of people's buzz down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

according to an eyewittness on the PJ forums, the man fell over the balcony, bounced right off the awnings and fell down onto the floor. I saw where he had landed, right inside the barrier of the sound desk, so he would have landed right on that, as opposed to landing onto the crowd. Really hope it wasnt fatal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,441 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So sad to hear about the poor guy falling off the balcony. Was he pushed, accidenly fall over ???.

It will be all over the papers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I didn't realise someone had fallen off the balcony. I did see some security people heading toward the sound desk but didn't think anything of it. I did see a fight break out toward the beginning of the gig, it looked like two fat guys going at it. It was then the wif and I decided to move back and we found we had more room and a better view there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Wow I didn't see or hear anything about that guy falling! hope he's ok.

Anyone have the set list? It was a brilliant set and I'd love to recall the order of the songs. Really enjoyed the new song but he wasn't wrong, it was "new", didn't sound finished and some of it sounded "jamming" with the obscure time changes etc.

-One thing that pissed me off was the amount of people smoking. We were standing near the front, towards the right of the stage (as you face it) and there was a huge guy smoking away. One girl asked him to stop and he wouldn't but he moved on but he wasn't the only one. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

Outstanding gig...third time seeing them and they keep getting better! The house lights came up, but PJ kept on playing.

One thing about the O2...the floor is absolutely awful. Some guys in front of us started head-banging around (nothing too major). One guy slipped on the really slick flooring and did a nasty face-plant. He looked to be in bits after it - hope he's ok! All the money spent on the place, and they put in a floor that turns to glass when it gets wet.

Here's the setlist:

June 22, 2010 - Dublin, Ireland - The O2

Setlist: Long Road, Once, The Fixer, Why Go, Corduroy, Severed Hand, Amongst The Waves, Even Flow, Unthought Known, Nothing Man, Lukin, Not For You, Down, Got Some, Comatose, Arms Aloft (Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Bullen, Shields, Slatterly, Stafford, Strummmer), Do The Evolution

1st encore: Just Breathe, Given To Fly, Of The Earth, Porch

2nd encore: Small Town, Better Man/Save It For Later (Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling), Kick Out The Jams (Davis, Kramer, Smith, Thompson, Tyner), Alive, Yellow Ledbetter/Cowboy Song (Downey, Lynott)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Fantastic gig. I was a little worried that they may play more of their newer stuff. Not that it's bad, but I prefer their old stuff, and they didn't disappoint. Great sound and they're still just as good as the last time I saw them years ago.

I was sitting a few seats down from the guy who went over the balcony and thought he had jumped as it seemed really weird how he went over. He missed all the equipment and just thumped off the ground. He seemed to be alive but unable to move when the ushers started moving everyone out of the place. I was in the VIP bar after (just thought I'd mention taht. :D ), and none of the staff new how the guy was doing. Hopefully he's ok.

And here's a pic of last night's setlist (from TwoFeetThick.com):

36349_431199766013_751751013_6322233_6280705_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I was in the standing area, and just happened to look back just as the guy jumped over the railings.. He definitely wasn't pushed, and landed on the awning which collapsed under his weight, and he fell straight onto the floor. Didn't see or hear what happened after

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

Anyone any news on the guy who fell?

Was speaking with a woman who was at the gig, while dropping kids to school just now.

She was sitting on the front of the balcony seats wher the guy went off. Aparrently he wandered over and sat beside a couple for a moment, said something to them, then got up and put a leg over the rail and jumped off. He took out the awning and landed on the ground without hitting anything else.

This woman said she spoke with other people who had overheard on the medic's radios that the guy had movement in his limbs, so I guess that's good.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

mise wrote: »
    I was in the standing area, and just happened to look back just as the guy jumped over the railings.. He definitely wasn't pushed, and landed on the awning which collapsed under his weight, and he fell straight onto the floor. Didn't see or hear what happened after

If thats true, what a f***ing idiot!!
    Phantom have been getting texts in all morning about it, but nobody seems to know what happened the guy afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Top gig, but what an insult to the band that the house lights were switched on during the second encore...after Eddie Vedder had paid tribute to the quality of the venue!

Shame on you Harry Crosbie and the o2 doing so, but kudos for Pearl Jam to keep playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

MoeJay wrote: »
    Top gig, but what an insult to the band that the house lights were switched on during the second encore...after Eddie Vedder had paid tribute to the quality of the venue!

Shame on you Harry Crosbie and the o2 doing so, but kudos for Pearl Jam to keep playing!

They did that the last time at the Point, I thought it was kind of exciting, you get a chance to see the crowd and it was real "ooh, they're breaking the rules!!" :-)

I enjoyed the gig alright, but thought it was a little too reliant on newer tracks. I was with someone who only knows Ten and Vs and they were a bit lost throughout the gig. We left before Yellow Ledbetter was over so didn't see the guy jumping, what an end to a gig! :eek:

Good show, great energy, I was curious as why Stone Gossard kept his back to the audience for most of the gig. Maybe he's always been like that I suppose.

Oh and the new song was deadly! I loved the jamming element of it. Good to see a band just playing music that isn't so rehearsed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I thought Ten got more than it's fair representation last night so I dunno how any early days lovers could be too dissapointed! Was great to hear some of the new album, I had Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known on my list that I would love to hear so was delighted.

I was standing about 20 feet from the sound desk and saw a kerfuffle when the awning went back, I presumed someone had thrown something on the sound desk from above, just saw what looked like a plume of red feathers or something falling, didn't realise it was a guy! I'm amazed they didn't have security guarding the area above the sound desk, seems a bit nuts.

In terms of the house lights, most Pearl Jam gigs I've been at in various venues the house lights come on for the last song (usually Yellow Ledbetter), so it's not an O2/Point/MCD/Crosbie thing. For all I know it could actually be at the request of the band I've seen it so often, I think it's actually great, creates a really cool atmosphere to end the gig on.

I really liked them playing with the lights on - great to see it all going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nsw

hi, i'm a journalist and am now banned for putting up a phone number and looking for a cheap story.

you cut and paste and twist...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Very disappointed in the gig last right, we were sitting in block N on the right hand side and the sound was atrocious. Constant booming bass, feedback and something weird going on with the guitar sound. Really put a downer on the whole thing.

Can't fault Pearl Jam though, they put on a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

MoeJay wrote: »

It's a case of the band wanting the lights up to see the crowd, many times at shows you'll even hear Eddie call out to Keelie (the lighting guy) to bring up the house lights on the second to last song

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

What a great day. What an amazing show, much better than the 2006 show.
    The energy was unbelivable, standout songs for me where given to fly,porch,betterman,kick out the jams... ah the whole damn lot was standout :)))))))))) Hope the guy who fell off the balcony is ok.
    Had the pleasure of meeting mike yesterday, a class act & a gentleman. He told me they where planning on doing a cover of a PIL song & also they hoped to do a cover of Thin Lizzys "the cowboy song" but I see he played a snippett of it in yellow ledbetter along with "Bad" by U2.
    Best band in the world, hope everyone who attended had a great time,roll on Belfast tonight :)))))
    Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Brilliant gig last night. My first time to see them, and even though I wasn't familiar with a lot of the newer stuff (post Vs.), I thought they were excellent.

I was standing right at the sound desk barrier all night and saw the guy who fell. He landed about 10 feet from me on probably the only piece of empty floor in the place, between the sound desk and the barrier. I just saw something move the awning above, then he rolled off it and landed in a heap on the floor. He looked to be completely out cold, but there was no sign of bleeding that I could see. He seemed to land on his side, more or less in the recovery position. One security guy was over to him immediately and did a few basic checks and placed a towel under his head. The other security guy ran to get the medics, who turned up about 30 seconds later. This was right at the end, so it felt a bit weird cheering the band with this going on beside us. We left then, but I did see an ambulance leaving with siren on as our Luas was leaving so hopefully he's OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

After seeing RATM two weeks back, it seemed a little anticlimatic, think all gigs will for awhile for me.

That said, thought it was a great gig.

Would have liked more Ten and Vs, but guess they can't play 'em all.

My all time favourite Pearl Jam song is Black and I was furious they didn't play it.

I was in Block C and there was very annoying crap going on constantly with people being reseated for some reason.

I got Block C 5th row seats so I would have a great close view, not to be surrounded by O2 staff and seating people right up to the end.

Anyway, got some good footage, I'll upload it in a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Great show last night, only drawback for me was the lack of anything from Riot Act.
    Two from Pearl Jam album so that was good to see.

Thought they played a good enough mix of old and new in fairness.

As for that moron who jumped the balcony, hope he's left with a reminder of his stupidity, what if he had landed on someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    the sound was atrocious. Constant booming bass, feedback and something weird going on with the guitar sound. Really put a downer on the whole thing.

Can't fault Pearl Jam though, they put on a great show.

Yeah sound was terrible. reminded me of the old point!
    good gig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Trev C

I didn't think there were any problems with sound at all, so maybe it was where you were. We were right in front of Mike about 20 feet in front of sound desk area and it was perfect.
    Would have liked to hear RVM, Save You, or State of Love and Trust, but overall it was a great setlist. They didnt play as many slower songs as i was expecting which was a bonus.

• Advertisement

The description the woman I spoke with gave me of the guy she saw jumping was very similar to a guy who was sitting on the steps beside me (block N) in the second encore till staff told him to get up. He squished in beside me (kinda ruining my buzz a bit :rolleyes:) before wobbling off somewhere else, pretty rubber (in my layman's estimation). He had dark green combats, a beigey-grey top, and short light hair, looked over 30, under 40.

Being drunk, or whatever, (if he was) could have screwewd with his mind? Maybe he thought the awning would take his weight? Who knows what was on his mind.

As mentioned, thankfully he didn't land on anyone else, whether he was stupid or deranged.

I share the anti-climatic feeling after seeing Rage too. It's almost like I forgave the PJ gig its foibles cos I love them so much. Personally I have zero interest in Joe Strummer (RIP), and the song PJ covered did nothing to assuage that.

Gigs ain't cheap, and I went to hear PJ songs. Got addicted on Ten and have loved at least a few songs from every album since. The best songs (IMO) on the new album (and on others) are the slower quiter ones, and for those the sound in O2 last night was quite good. The noisy songs were quite noisy. :rolleyes:

Mark

Advertisement