Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam - 22nd June O2, 23rd Odyssey -- All discussion, no ticket advertising

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

As for that moron who jumped the balcony, hope he's left with a reminder of his stupidity, what if he had landed on someone?

Tend to agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Sounds was pretty poor up in the rafters, but thats to be expected I suppose. Not awful, just not good.

I also thought the selection of songs was pretty good. More than enough for the people who only have their bigger albums, and plenty there for the more ardent fans.

Overall, for my first Pearl Jam gig, I was pretty happy coming out of there.
    Next time I gotta make sure to get a standing ticket(and position myself away from the sound desk!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mark#1 wrote: »
    I share the anti-climatic feeling after seeing Rage too. It's almost like I forgave the PJ gig its foibles cos I love them so much. Personally I have zero interest in Joe Strummer (RIP), and the song PJ covered did nothing to assuage that.

Gigs ain't cheap, and I went to hear PJ songs. Got addicted on Ten and have loved at least a few songs from every album since. The best songs (IMO) on the new album (and on others) are the slower quiter ones, and for those the sound in O2 last night was quite good. The noisy songs were quite noisy. :rolleyes:

Mark

PJ played 10 more songs than Rage, who also played a cover of the clash and whose gig was more expensive. Seems a bit of an odd criticism.

They were both equally great gigs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

thought last night was great. the setlist had a good mix of all albums. would have loved to hear black or indifference though. the only problem i have was with a guy beside me. his wife was pregnant and every time any person came near her he viciously through them to the side. fair enough i understand she is pregnant but we were right up at the stage surely this is the wrong place for a pregnant woman obviously she was goin to get bumped into :mad: but still it wasnt possible to put a downer on a night like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

playa3 wrote: »
    PJ played 10 more songs than Rage, who also played a cover of the clash and whose gig was more expensive. Seems a bit of an odd criticism.

They were both equally great gigs imo.

It's not about quantity, it's quality.

Pearl Jam's sound was not great, whereas RATM's was almost flawless.

The energy was also a little low and I felt they didn't connect as well with the crowd.

I seen at least a dozen fights from the balcony also, the asshole level was quite high for whatever reason.

Of course, some of these critisims have little to do with PJ but that's just a summation of how I felt the gig went when you take in all aspects.

It may be unfair to compare gigs .. but that's life, it's inevitable as they are two rock bands with a similarly aged crowd.

I consider myself a far bigger Pearl Jam fan than RATM but if they were both playing again next week, I'd go see RATM, far better show.

Still enjoyed last night but felt I hard to work at enjoying it almost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

lack if stuff from binaural and riot act was a bit of a let down
    but for me do the evolution,and yellow ledbetter made it :D

OutlawPete wrote: »

The energy was also a little low and I felt they didn't connect as well with the crowd.

I seen at least a dozen fights from the balcony also, the asshole level was quite high for whatever reason.

Of course, some of these critisims have little to do with PJ but that's just a summation of how I felt the gig went when you take in all aspects.

It may be unfair to compare gigs .. but that's life, it's inevitable as they are two rock bands with a similarly aged crowd.

I consider myself a far bigger Pearl Jam fan than RATM but if they were both playing again next week, I'd go see RATM, far better show.

Ah yeah perhaps it was more to do with the seated area because there seems to be a few complaints about the sound from up there.

I was up the front in the standing and the sound and energy levels were great so I wouldn't have picked up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

MoeJay wrote: »
    Top gig, but what an insult to the band that the house lights were switched on during the second encore...after Eddie Vedder had paid tribute to the quality of the venue!

Shame on you Harry Crosbie and the o2 doing so, but kudos for Pearl Jam to keep playing!

"Hey Keely, turn up the lights. Lets see those beautiful faces..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Probably the France match...People on the beer all day plus the sunshine......

If you did you'd see the exact same setlist....not the case with PJ.

I thought they were great.

If you did you'd see the exact same setlist....not the case with PJ.

I thought they were great.

...and that's why I'm going to see them again tonight in Belfast!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I also thought the sound was pretty poor. I was near the left speaker stack just a few rows back from the stage.

Surprised to hear about the fights. I wouldn't have thought your average knacker would be into Pearl Jam. There was two scobies near us but they weren't causing any problems. Just dancing with their mad rave moves, was actually pretty funny :)

I'd also have liked to have heard Black and a couple of others, but overall the setlist was great. Really liked long road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Kick out the Jams was te undisputed highlight of the night for me, Lukin/Not For You was pretty great too. I was standing pretty central, in line with Stone and thought the sound was quite poor early on in the gig, definitely picked up for the encores though. Once again though Pearl Jam fail to disapoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

spaceboy wrote: »
    Met Eddie & Mike last night :), got a guitar pick from Ed & a tooth pick from Mike hahaha
    Had a great night at the shindig in O'Reilly's, fair play to Jenny for organizing the event,can't wait for tonight :))))

Did Eddie and Mike show up to OReillys?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm glad other people have mentioned the sound as I was worried that it was just me. I found the sound at the start to be incredibly loud, to the point that I was hearing feedback and really shrill noises. I was standing to the right of the stage, around the middle. So then either I got more deaf or it went a bit quieter / less muddy. I had expected better as the sound at the 2006 gig was flawless, and also at Paul McCartney last December (which was my first O2 gig) the sound was perfect.

Highlights for me included the crazy solo in Even Flow, the "new new" song, Lukin / Not For You, and strangely some of the Backspacer stuff I really enjoyed, not being the biggest fan of that album. Maybe seeing them live gave me a chance to appreciate them. I didn't get into the Strummer song (probably because it was hard to make it out) and I would've preferred more classics or more Yield material, but overall it was a good night out. IMO it didn't top the 2006 gig.

(I wonder will they be releasing this one as part of their bootleg series online - I wouldn't mind getting it solely for that new song)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

One thing about the O2...the floor is absolutely awful. Some guys in front of us started head-banging around (nothing too major). One guy slipped on the really slick flooring and did a nasty face-plant. He looked to be in bits after it - hope he's ok! All the money spent on the place, and they put in a floor that turns to glass when it gets wet.

the amount of beer thrown up in the air that landed on the floor last night was incredible, i have been at numerous gigs in the 02 and the floor was swimming in beer. why do people spend 6euro on a beer and then throw it up in the air or on the ground.

funniest part of last night was two security going over to break up a mini-mosh pit, one got covered in flying beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Really enjoyed the concert myself. I've never been so pushed around/exhausted/sweaty in my life! towards the end I could barley muster up the energy to sing along or raise my hands!
    As for the sound, I didn't think it was that bad but it certainly was the worst for the 4 or so gigs ive been to at the o2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

you have some good points there - but I'm not sure they are right (at least from where I was)......
    sound was fine from the floor for most of it, volume seemed to be very high and I didn't think Rage's sound was flawless either.........

Didn't think the bands energy was at all low ? the crowd a little at times, but a different crowd to Rage - a different type of band and music, so as it was I expected a different experience

The arsehole level at Dublin gigs has been very high in recent times and is showing no signs of falling.....so many dicks that can't handle there beer looking to start fights for no reason at all - one fight right in front of us and another tool just to the right of us trying to start on people he was stumbling into..........and the amount of twats firing quarter full or more pints into the crowd last night was crazy.........but again I saw loads of fights at Rage too........like you said it may be unfair to compare the two gigs.....I'm certain that the floor crowd was far younger at Rage than last night - although I wasn't all over the venue, it was just the vibe I was getting from the people I was seeing wandering around....

To be honest I'd be quite happy to see either, I saw you were really unhappy that they didn't play Black - but I don't think you can expect any particular songs from a band like PJ, large back catalogue and promoting a new album, there's of course songs I would have loved to have heard last night (Black being one of them) - but such is life.......
    Purely from a value for money point of view it may be harder to compare the gigs - I honestly think that a band playing for more than 2 hrs would get the vote, I don't think the Rage gig would have kept the momentum they'd built had it lasted longer, I thought the setlist last night was good - and you also have to look at the Rage setlist - they only played 12 Rage tracks.....but they aren't really criticisims..........I loved both gigs for different reasons and wouldn't put them in the same categories.......just my two cents :-)

for anyone interested - a couple of clips I took.......

Just Breathe - video poor, sound ok....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg2FVywMjUQ

Not For You -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rho9mITy768

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Rage doing The Clash did nothing for me either. Not to digress OT, but The Clash/Strummer don't light my candle at all. I know PJ are Who fans, as am I - if they'd done Baba O'Reilly I'd have been over the moon. We all got different tastes.

I thought PJ were too loud (should I get my slippers now?), sound was powerful but duff: plenty of bottom-end, but not tight, defined bottom-end.

Perhaps a factor with Pear Jam is that their songs can be so personal - I know some of their lyrics are really close to feelings I have, so in a situation where I have to share them with 10,000 other guys, I really just want them to myself. I'm sure plenty of folk feel the same. Ain't never gonna happen, of course, so we just have to try to get the best we can from sharing them.

PJ was still a great "gig", despite any issues - it's Pearl Jam, after all, singing the songs I love . . .

Any word on the jumper?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Very disappointing gig I must saw. 17 years since I last saw them and was bored during it.

Sound was crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrGarak

Trev C wrote: »
    I didn't think there were any problems with sound at all, so maybe it was where you were. We were right in front of Mike about 20 feet in front of sound desk area and it was perfect. .

The sound engineers at the O2 are pure muck. I was up in the seating area and Ciaran500 explains it exactly as I found it:
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Very disappointed in the gig last right, we were sitting in block N on the right hand side and the sound was atrocious. Constant booming bass, feedback and something weird going on with the guitar sound. Really put a downer on the whole thing.

Can't fault Pearl Jam though, they put on a great show.

I was in block P. It was the same the last time I was in the O2 for Megadeth except I was standing for that, will take something special for me to go back to the O2 again thats for sure! Still can't fault Pearl Jam though they were animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 twoshakes1978

We were standing just beside the sound engineer. During Yellow Leadbetter some guy fell from the balcony and landed in the sound enginers encloseur. He never moved but seemd to be conscious. Didn't wait around to see if he was alright. Great gig as always shame to have to see that happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Welcome aboard TS78. Have a read back through the last couple of pages.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

They played 'Black' as the last song before the encore in Belfast. Sick I didnt just go buy tickets for that one too.

http://giventocast.blogspot.com/2010/06/belfast-ireland-setlist-live-updates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fiftysix

where i was the sound was pretty good, sure there were a few ear piercing moments of feedback but **** it. The whole show i thought was excellent from start to finish. I felt there was a perfect blend of new and old material, i think the new album is awesome. As for them playing covers i thought it was good. I love when bands show fans their inspirations. Eddie Vedder is the best front man i have seen. Some one made a point that PJ didn't really engage the fans, i completely disagree. Ed had them in the palm of his hand for so much of the show, a prime example being Betterman (epic btw). I waited so many years for this gig and I loved it all. The great thing about pearl jam is that they have such and extensive back catalogue of awesome songs they don't rely on the "old favourites" (metallica have played enter sandman each of the 5 times i have seen them).

Pearl Jam was the best concert i have been to, but i guess you can't please them all. Disappointed i couldn't go to Belfast :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

And here's the setlist for the Belfast show:

MAIN SET: Sometimes, Do The Evolution, Animal, The Fixer, Tremor Christ, Low Light, Even Flow, Unthought Unknown, No Way, Insignificance, Present Tense, Daughter, Got Some, Save You, Given To Fly, Black, Rearviewmirror

ENCORE 1: Just Breathe, Amongst The Waves, State of Love and Trust, Wasted Reprise/Betterman/Save It For Later

ENCORE 2: Jeremy, Leash, Crazy Mary, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

JJ wrote: »
    And here's the setlist for the Belfast show:

MAIN SET: Sometimes, Do The Evolution, Animal, The Fixer, Tremor Christ, Low Light, Even Flow, Unthought Unknown, No Way, Insignificance, Present Tense, Daughter, Got Some, Save You, Given To Fly, Black, Rearviewmirror

ENCORE 1: Just Breathe, Amongst The Waves, State of Love and Trust, Wasted Reprise/Betterman/Save It For Later

ENCORE 2: Jeremy, Leash, Crazy Mary, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

love that setlist (loved the Dublin show too - but from a personal viewpoint the Belfast one is terrific.........
    thanks for posting JJ....will have to try and get a copy of that show......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No more discussion about people falling from balconies. None, like it never happened. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Here's Alive from last night:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Just back from Belfast, pretty great gig!!! the sound was very loud and muddled at times which seems to have been an issue at the O2 the night before, I was fairly close and dead center too, I thought it would have been better,

Ah well, great gig and the lads seemed to be in great form especially Mike!
    They mixed up the set alot from the Dublin show,

They done a pretty cool thing for Brendan O'Brien's (producer) 60th B-Day, Eddie got everyone in the crowd to be really quiet, and he went behind a small curtain and called Brendan, this was also been filmed, so it looked like Eddie and the band were in a small room calling Brendan, after a few mins chat, the curtain dropped and Eddie counted to 3 and the crowd burst into "Happy Birthday to you......etc, pretty cool!!!

BTW I'm pretty sure Mike snippeted I Will Follow by U2 in Yellow Ledbetter, sure did sound like it, but as a guitarist myself, if it was meant to be IWF, he played it wrong, heheheh.

Advertisement