Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Ballysimon rd furniture store

Options
  • 07-12-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

Just spotted this on the Limerick Leader. Real bad time for any staff working there, feel sorry for them.

Anyone have any more info on it?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

anyone know what store it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Possibly the new one next to O'Mara motors. That's the only one I know in Eastlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I think East Point is where B&Q is but not too sure. I have no idea what store it was that burned(or is it burnt) down

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Quite a few furniture stores would have East Point as their address in that area.

Not good news for the ordinary workers in whichever one it was.

Interestingly enough I will be curious to see if there will be an insurance investigation into it if it is one of two furniture stores in the Ballysimon road area who are known to have been in financial trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

interesting to know....i dealt with mcCarthy funiture ouit there recently and they are very good to deal with...hope its not them!

• Advertisement

A lot furniture stores have EASTWAY but not EASTPOINT

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

interesting to know....i dealt with mcCarthy funiture ouit there recently and they are very good to deal with...hope its not them!

Yeah they are nice folk to deal with, and are great at dealing with customers as people and not as walking wallets.

There is a lovely old school feel to dealing with them, and with luck the son will be able to continue the business when he takes it over at some point, as the quality of service there is always top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

East point is the one with Wickes in it must have been that discount furniture place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Hopefully they were well insured................

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

over 40 quid of damage i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

I work in that business park. Gardai have been in to me looking for cctv footage.

Was down here at 4am last night and the whole building was in flames.

This morning there is nothing left and part of wickes is damaged. Detectives everywhere.

All pointing towards malicious intent. Owner is devastated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I work in that business park. Gardai have been in to me looking for cctv footage.

Was down here at 4am last night and the whole building was in flames.

This morning there is nothing left and part of wickes is damaged. Detectives everywhere.

All pointing towards malicious intent. Owner is devastated.

What furniture store was burned down?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

As stated earlier, discount furniture store.

I was out that way earlier so took this photo. WOW is all I can say.

Wickes is also closed because their warehouse wall and roof caught fire and the shop was full of smoke so the HSA will not let customers in to shop.

There seemed to be a lot of coal lying around the car park and out on the road with a guy sweeping it up. Odd thing to see after a Furniture store fire. :confused:

Anyway here it is.

PICT0785.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 limerickmover

i believe there is more to this than meets the eye, i recall seeing this company name before regarding a similiar incident, i hope for te sake the workers it's noting malicious.

i believe there is more to this than meets the eye, i recall seeing this company name before regarding a similiar incident, i hope for te sake the workers it's noting malicious.

Malicious or not, the workers are still out of work just before Christmas. I would hate to be in their situation.

Any link to that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

As stated earlier, discount furniture store.

Apologies. I thought that was a generic name :o

The owner also owns a furniture store in Blackberry retail park on the Dock Road. Myself and my OH knew this man as we ran Coopers Wine & Beer Superstore(now closed) right next door.

There would not have been anything malicious as the business is not in trouble and never was.

A staff member from Wickes told me that the whole front of the buildings must be torn down and possibly the entire building because its built worse than a badly put together meccano set the metal panels on the front are violently shaking in the wind and one flew across the car park that morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

all those €30 plastic bar stools. gone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 very interested

That's very odd about the coal alright, you can see it in the photo....do Wickes sell it ? Or could it have been used to... well you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

That's very odd about the coal alright, you can see it in the photo....do Wickes sell it ? Or could it have been used to... well you know ?

could it not just be clumps of burnt stuff as well and not necessarily coal..

Sad for the owner and workers..that picture is crazy..

Harpy wrote: »
    could it not just be clumps of burnt stuff as well and not necessarily coal..

No It was definately coal. I was there and I saw it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I've been told (by someone who works in that building sector) that that looks like the charred insulation from the sheeting and that the fire looks like it started from the inside otherwise the sheeting wouldn't be silver on the outside if it was coal that set it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

sad to see something like this happen at this time of year alright.

as if the city is'nt depressing enough looking without a burnt out shell in what was once a lovely business park...somehow I can't see the owners being in any rush to rebuild this for a long time to come :rolleyes:

LB6 wrote: »
    I've been told (by someone who works in that building sector) that that looks like the charred insulation from the sheeting and that the fire looks like it started from the inside otherwise the sheeting wouldn't be silver on the outside if it was coal that set it off.

Coal is a very odd accelerant to use in an arson attack. It's not exactly the easiest stuff to move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Berty wrote: »
    The owner also owns a furniture store in Blackberry retail park on the Dock Road. Myself and my OH knew this man as we ran Coopers Wine & Beer Superstore(now closed) right next door.

There would not have been anything malicious as the business is not in trouble and never was.
    A staff member from Wickes told me that the whole front of the buildings must be torn down and possibly the entire building because its built worse than a badly put together meccano set the metal panels on the front are violently shaking in the wind and one flew across the car park that morning.

Don't know where you are getting your info but I have been told by 2 different people who don't each other that the place and the other units in there are/were doing feck all over the last number of months.

And after the speel you gave about not needing to worry about DEll last year I know who I'd believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

OK curiosity got the better of me this morning and I went out for a look-see. NO - they are not lumps of coal. They are charred long flat pieces of burnt insulation about 3-4 inches deep. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 very interested

Yea I'd have to agree, the so called coal was lying on the main road all night and the next day. If it was coal, it would have been collected up by passers by at some stage. It's a busy road, i'm sure someone would have been tempted. I'll be passing there later, if it's still there and it turns out to be coal... it's mine.

Advertisement