Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Measuring Device - local rule different for men and ladies?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has come across this? My club allowed use of DMD's for men under local rule for past 12 months. I am the only lady with one and asked that it be raised at committee level. Was told that it was voted down! My question is

a) Local Rule - surely this applies to the course and is not gender based?
    b) Why can't I give my gps to a man when playing in mixed competitions - I've been told not as ladies said no!
    c) As I am obviously going to appeal this, any suggestions on best arguement to put forward?

I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

My understanding is that the "Committee" that runs the competition can allow them at their discretion.

So - if the Men's "Committee" allows them in their competions - that's fine.

The Ladies' "Committee" may not allow them in their competitions - and that's fine also.

In relation to Mixed Competitions - depending on which committee runs these, it well be a joint committee - they may or may not be allowed - but you can't have one rule for men and another for women - they are either allowed in the Mixed Competition or not.

Rule 14-3
    The R&A reserves the right, at any time, to change the Rules relating to artificial devices, unusual equipment and the unusual use of equipment, and to make or change the interpretations relating to these Rules.
    A player in doubt as to whether use of an item would constitute a breach of Rule 14-3 should consult the R&A.
    A manufacturer should submit to the R&A a sample of an item to be manufactured for a ruling as to whether its use during a stipulated round would cause a player to be in breach of Rule 14-3. The sample becomes the property of the R&A for reference purposes. If a manufacturer fails to submit a sample or, having submitted a sample, fails to await a ruling before manufacturing and/or marketing the item, the manufacturer assumes the risk of a ruling that use of the item would be contrary to the Rules.
    Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:
    a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or
    b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or
    c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:
    (i) plain gloves may be worn;
    (ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturising agents may be used; and
    (iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.
    Exceptions:
    1. A player is not in breach of this Rule if (a) the equipment or device is designed for or has the effect of alleviating a medical condition, (b) the player has a legitimate medical reason to use the equipment or device, and (c) the Committee is satisfied that its use does not give the player any undue advantage over other players.
    2. A player is not in breach of this Rule if he uses equipment in a traditionally accepted manner.
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 14-3:
    Disqualification.

Note: The Committee may make a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure or gauge distance only.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Thats an odd one. Why would they say no anyway? Gps & rangefinder is much easier & quicker than pacing out from the 150 marker to your ball. Would defo help with slow play imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Couldn't agree more, I know some players are spot on with measuring distance by eye, however, I'm not and always struggle when between 100yd marker and green and usually pace out. Obviously, so as not to get a name for slow play, it is fast pacing and not up to front of green. Now though, if club do keep it a different rule for ladies and men will be pacing everything!!
    Thats an odd one. Why would they say no anyway? Gps & rangefinder is much easier & quicker than pacing out from the 150 marker to your ball. Would defo help with slow play imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I don't see the problem with them at all and can't understand why clubs would take such a hard line against them.

Older clubs/officials seem to have a real issue with them for some reason.

Pace of play is not a valid reason to ban them in my opinion. I think on newer courses, which tend to have big greens, they can be a god send and as Tom says... got to be better/quicker than measuring out on foot.

OP - Hopefully your club's reason for not allowing them wasn't because not everyone has one either as they are available to everyone.

Sounds a bit unfair that the men can use them and not the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Agree with you that it's unfair however any suggestions on how to move this forward and has anyone come across this before?
    I don't see the problem with them at all and can't understand why clubs would take such a hard line against them.

Older clubs/officials seem to have a real issue with them for some reason.

Pace of play is not a valid reason to ban them in my opinion. I think on newer courses, which tend to have big greens, they can be a god send and as Tom says... got to be better/quicker than measuring out on foot.

OP - Hopefully your club's reason for not allowing them wasn't because not everyone has one either as they are available to everyone.

Sounds a bit unfair that the men can use them and not the women.

• Advertisement
Advertisement