Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen salary increase ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

edit: i see, sneaky bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The FT seems to take account of the 10% reduction announced in the mini-budget, whereas The Independent doesn't. I think there is a degree of spin going on here. The leaked figures where aimed at getting the headlines that Cowen is taking a 20% reduction in salary, where in fact he will be taking a further 10% cut. The 1% difference could be down to incremental increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

and here's me reading the Sunday Times yesterday and thinking Cowen was doing great by taking a whopping 20% pay cut :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A Department of Finance source said the salary figures quoted in the higher level remuneration report were based on the official salaries and did not take account of voluntary pay cuts.
    So how much is he actually getting paid?
    Government salaries and some PS salaries can be hard to quantify though because there are all sorts of allowances and crap added on. So two sources might quote two different figures which are both "correct" for a TD's salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

8199e696-181a-11de-8c9d-0000779fd2ac.jpg

So according to the indo, the most unsuccessful leader in Western Europe, Brian Cowen is easily the highest paid leader in Europe.

Welcome to the baNAMA republic.

Intriguing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

He'd need to take a 100% cut before he's paid what he's worth. Jesus, it makes my blood boil when I hear all this cra*p about politicians and their "pay cuts", boo-hoo, they are grossly overpaid to begin with. Even if Cowen does take a €25000 cut, that's a significant wage for the average worker and he's still left with 90% before expenses grrr. What is never factored in is that these guys rarely have to put their hands in their own pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

the actual salary of Taoiseach is the €285000 odd figure

all the Cabinet took a 10% voluntary cut meaning he has been paid 10% less since

however the Report on higher remuneration is obviously looking at actual salary scales in coming up with recommendations and not what individuals may have voluntaroly forgone to date

so the 20% will come off the €285,000 figure

thats not to say he wont voluntarily forgo more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

It's still amazing, in the actual circumstances, that he's still better paid than Merkel, Sarko and Brown.

His salaries and other TDs is what revolts me the most.

I'm not starting a rant but the figures between the newspaper makes one wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

gqma0 wrote: »
    It's still amazing, in the actual circumstances, that he's still better paid than Merkel, Sarko and Brown.

His salaries and other TDs is what revolts me the most.

I'm not starting a rant but the figures between the newspaper makes one wonder.

its definitely been a big issue, often overlooked

the areas covered by the Higher Remuneration group have seen large increases and differentials over the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

gqma0 wrote: »

Its consistent with the rest of the countrys wages though.

Every teacher/guard/carpenter/plumber/shopworker/doctor/accountant earns more than their equivalent in Germany or France or the UK; so why should it have been any different for our politicians?

They are in a bit of a bind though, whatever reduction they take will not be good enough and will generate more negative publicity. 50% and people will still want more.

As Malcom Tucker said to the new mininster (rough quote as i can't find the exact script) "they don't want you earning any money, they don't want you living in a big house, they'd be happy if you lived in a fcuking cave"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Its consistent with the rest of the countrys wages though.

Every teacher/guard/carpenter/plumber/shopworker/doctor/accountant earns more than their equivalent in Germany or France or the UK; so why should it have been any different for our politicians?

They are in a bit of a bind though, whatever reduction they take will not be good enough and will generate more negative publicity. 50% and people will still want more.

As Malcom Tucker said to the new mininster (rough quote as i can't find the exact script) "they don't want you earning any money, they don't want you living in a big house, they'd be happy if you lived in a fcuking cave"

as the dunne stores add says , were different cause were irish

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

CamperMan wrote: »
    and here's me reading the Sunday Times yesterday and thinking Cowen was doing great by taking a whopping 20% pay cut :mad:

Whats more interesting is that the highest paid Secretary Generals in the Civil Service take home €285,000 AFTER a €43,000 cut (cut recommended by the "Review Board of Higher Renumeration" ). This means that there are a number of people in the Civil Service who earn a LOT more than any of the present goverment.

Source: Front Page of the Sunday Business Post 06/12/2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

He will never have to worry about having enough to pay an ESB bill or if he can afford coal for the fire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

So according to the indo, the most unsuccessful leader in Western Europe, Brian Cowen is easily the highest paid leader in Europe.

Welcome to the baNAMA republic.

Intriguing.
    its funny because Sarkozy is compensating again

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

Get rid of all non-Eurozone leaders there. The strong Euro makes a false impression. Also without adjusting for PPP it's a meaningless comparison.

/nit picking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

bmaxi wrote: »
    these guys rarely have to put their hands in their own pockets.
    That's it exactly. Free car and driver. Everything expensed. He could have a great life without a salary at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Altreab wrote: »
    Whats more interesting is that the highest paid Secretary Generals in the Civil Service take home €285,000 AFTER a €43,000 cut (cut recommended by the "Review Board of Higher Renumeration" ). This means that there are a number of people in the Civil Service who earn a LOT more than any of the present goverment.

Source: Front Page of the Sunday Business Post 06/12/2009

TD's are linked to the Principal Officer grade in the civil service so it's no surprise that Secretary General's are paid higher. They do have incredible responsibility and you will only attract the best if you pay well. Either way their pay will be cut shortly before I'm lynched :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TD's are linked to the Principal Officer grade in the civil service so it's no surprise that Secretary General's are paid higher. They do have incredible responsibility and you will only attract the best if you pay well.

Given the shambles the country is in, we have not attracted the best by paying astronomical wages. It would seem there is no real link between the wages paid and the performances received in the public sector which is heavily unionised. IIRC, Secretary Generals are recruited exclusively within the civil service, with no external advertisement? Hence, we are marking their pay to some of the best managers and directors in the private sector, without any threat of the civil servants having to face the challenge of competion for those jobs from the best managers and directors in the private sector.

I believe someone summarised it as paying Giovanni Trapattoni wages for Steve Staunton performances. If all we are getting is Steve Stauntons, we might as well adjust pay packets to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Nothing new here. It's similar to Mary Hanafin and Batt O'Keefe announcing the same school building programmes over and over again.

Advertisement