Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper French Boulangerie

Options
  • 07-12-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Just wondering of there is a proper french boulangerie in dublin city. Somewhere I can just pop in and buy some and leave!

Have a craving for proper french bread, and not the ****e they sell from cuisine de france in every shop here!

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

La Boulangerie on the top of camden street - accross from the bleeding horse...

they have another shop accross from auinger street too AFAIK

There is a place on the road between georges arcade & powerscourt too...

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

oh excellent! thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

jameshayes wrote: »
    La Boulangerie on the top of camden street - accross from the bleeding horse...

was gonna suggest this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Does anyone know where there are any french shops ie not just boulangerie but for all french food ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Morlar wrote: »
    Does anyone know where there are any french shops ie not just boulangerie but for all french food ?

You'd get most things in Fallon & Byrne on exchequir st (man, I cant spell that word!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭donaghs

Not a bad place for a coffee and cake, but do they bake anything there? Do a lot of microwave re-heating if you order something hot for lunch.

Apart from the name I don't find it particularly French either.

The Bretzel place up the road might be a better place for fresh bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

jameshayes wrote: »
    You'd get most things in Fallon & Byrne on exchequir st (man, I cant spell that word!)

That ;

http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/section/119

looks excellent - thanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Gotta agree with Donagh here. Nothing much authentic about La Boulangerie. Grand for coffee sure but falls fairly flat in the edibles and has nothing to do with France. It's owned and run by Algerians, nice chaps but haven't a scooby about pastry. But if you're in that area it's just silly not to pop into Cake.

Leon on Exchequer is about nearest to real as I can think. But in fairness you wanna be in Paris for the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I used to go to La Boulangerie a fair bit and thought it was grand. The lunch is simple but decent, soup was always nice. And the tarts were bleedin' lovely. I recommend the Apple tart with a lovely buttery pastry :D
    Used to be 30 seconds away, now it's a whole 15 minutes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

The Bretzel does do lovely bread - not sure if any of it is particularly French but they have similar other types of lovely fresh bread.

Leon does do authentic enough pastries and such - well the tarte aux fraises look authentic enough but the exorbitant prices have put me off actually purchasing!

And La Boulangerie is pleasant for lunch but not very French as already mentioned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

other options :

Andersons in D9.

vegetable shop beside Brams in Marino ( you have to order it from them in advance )

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoc2

The Craft Bakery in Rathmines (nr the Post Office) does a mean French stick and other breads too. Recommended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's a boulangerie in Applewood in Swords. Run by actual French people - delicious stuff - they do quiches and make their own sauces in jars as well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm not a huge bread fan, but is Superquinns bread any good? I hear a lot of people are fond of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Les Maison Des Gourmets on Castle street in front of the Powerscourt centre used to do good french bread and pastries. I passed by it a few weeks ago and it looks like the place has been turned into a restaurant. You could also try the market on Meeting house square in Temple bar on a saturday morning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

donaghs wrote: »
    Not a bad place for a coffee and cake, but do they bake anything there? Do a lot of microwave re-heating if you order something hot for lunch.

Apart from the name I don't find it particularly French either.

The Bretzel place up the road might be a better place for fresh bread.

Thanks, went in to town earlier to get some french bread, and went to La Boulangerie, and asked if they had bread, and she said they had baguettes, was so happy!!

Turns out they were Cuisine de France :rolleyes:
    needless to sayI was peeved! Lwft as quick as anothing muttering about fecking cuisine de france!!

will try other suggestions.

Advertisement