Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Leak

Options
  • 07-12-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I have recently noticed damp patches on my bedroom ceiling, I then discovered dampness in the chimney area in the attic, possibly caused by a fault in the chimney flashing. As a stopgap measure, would sealing the chimney area in the vicinity of the dampness from inside the attic using expanding foam as a temporary measure stop the problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Hi

I noticed that mine leaked too but only with a north wind. I went up on the roof for alook and saw lots of craks in the chimney itself and some suspect areas of flashing. Sealed with Tech 7 and then painted chimney with brisk seal. Seems to have worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Alarmist wrote: »
    I have recently noticed damp patches on my bedroom ceiling, I then discovered dampness in the chimney area in the attic, possibly caused by a fault in the chimney flashing. As a stopgap measure, would sealing the chimney area in the vicinity of the dampness from inside the attic using expanding foam as a temporary measure stop the problem ?

Although obviously not a great solution for a large number of reasons (including fire safety I would imagine if the chimneys actually being used), stuffing it with plastic bags can also work, believe it or not.
    Not my solution, but one that came with the house. Lasted 5 years undetected without a problem, then came last months deluge and the ceiling came down. So much for having the roof surveyed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

I moved into a new house, well new to me, it was built 2002. The chimney breast above the roof is brick. So it is block up to just under the roof and then a metal ring and the bricks on top of this. Noticed white lime marks around this. Was awoken then in the middle of the night to drip drip drip on the ceiling. So up I go and see water dripping on the ceiling. Found that when the Felt was cut around the chimney breast that the cut on one side was deeper than it should have been. this caused the water due to high winds and extremely stormy weather, to make it's way into and drip on the ceiling.

So really you need to check alot of things and see if there is anything stnading out. Although it would be best to check it when it's raining as this will help locate the leak. Just my topence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Alarmist

Thanks for the tips. I recently had the chimney stack painted and have now noticed that the paint had dripped down inside the attic, so I suppose that the flashing must be at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have delt with this type problem before . at the end I had to hire a roofer . Flashing and leak finding is not as easy as it sounds.

Pay a lad to sort it. could be a 5 min job to a pro

• Advertisement
Advertisement