Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer Dog

Options
  • 07-12-2009 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Im currently looking for boxer dog im not interested in pup.Im looking for least one year old,just wondering were best place to get one.Ive tried some sites but werent any use.Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

http://www.irishanimals.ie/boxerstaff_homes.html

and

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com

They do come up quiet frequently so keep checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

Heard this morning there's two in Ashton Pound at the moment. They were brought in together so maybe, just maybe...... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

www.dogsindistress.org nearly always have Boxers aswell.

Good luck with the search, I hope you find a dog to suit you. I have three Boxers, so obviously have a huge soft spot for them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

looks like xmas came early - http://www.dogstrust.ie/dogs-for-rehoming/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

have u advertised on a free site looking for a male boxer 2 be a companion for his female? if this is u, is ur female spayed, if not no rescue will home to u.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I was asked last week to take in a young white male Boxer but I am full to the brim. If you are interested then I can put you in touch with the person responsible for him, he is currently in boarding kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

is it for breeding purposes? thats usually why people want older dogs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

meisha wrote: »
    thats usually why people want older dogs
    I'm as cynical as the next person when it comes to people and dogs, but I genuinely don't think this is the case. A lot of people want older dogs so that they don't have to deal with the puppy chewy bouncy stage (although with boxers that jumpy stage never goes away :)) or to give an older dog a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

I'm as cynical as the next person when it comes to people and dogs, but I genuinely don't think this is the case. A lot of people want older dogs so that they don't have to deal with the puppy chewy bouncy stage (although with boxers that jumpy stage never goes away :)) or to give an older dog a chance.

I'd agree with that. That's exactly why I'm looking at slightly older dogs 1-2+ YOA. I think it'll be an easier sell to my Landlord as well :D

One could even stand the argument on its head & say that people looking for pups are too interested in the cuteness factor, & sometimes aren't prepared for a full grown dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

have u advertised on a free site looking for a male boxer 2 be a companion for his female? if this is u, is ur female spayed, if not no rescue will home to u.
    I think you may be slightly mis-informed.

Most rescues will only rehome a dog or bitch that has been neutered/spayed, so having an intact animal in the house will make little or no difference to your chances of adopting. As the adopted animal is neutered/spayed then there's no way in which it can be bred from. ;)

We adopted a female Rottie last year, to a house with an intact male, and the rescue had no issue with it. If they had insisted we neuter our dog just to be allowed adopt a dog thats already been done then we would have walked away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Top Dog wrote: »

Most rescues will only rehome a dog or bitch that has been neutered/spayed, so having an intact animal in the house will make little or no difference to your chances of adopting. As the adopted animal is neutered/spayed then there's no way in which it can be bred from. ;)

We adopted a female Rottie last year, to a house with an intact male, and the rescue had no issue with it. If they had insisted we neuter our dog just to be allowed adopt a dog thats already been done then we would have walked away.

Unfortunately thats not always the case. I had a lovely couple that wanted to adopt a dog, (and in fact did) they have an entire male that they adopted from a French pound a few years ago, where neutering isn't the norm. They were turned down by a couple of Dublin rescues because of their un-neutered male, even though, as you say, the rescue dog would have been neutered.

It is the policy of some rescues not to rehome even neutered/spayed dogs to a home with an unneutered dog already in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

By coincidence I came across this thread 5 mins after reading the following line in a Bruce Fogle book:

"What do you call a puppy that never grows up? A boxer of course."

ISDW wrote: »
    It is the policy of some rescues not to rehome even neutered/spayed dogs to a home with an unneutered dog already in situ.
    Didn't realise that.

Every day's a school day :)

why would u have walked away? Unless of course u r showing him. As a member of this board would have thought u would no all the risk involved so would perfer to get him done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a note please no use of 'txt spk' as they say.

why would u have walked away? Unless of course u r showing him. As a member of this board would have thought u would no all the risk involved so would perfer to get him done.
    Simple really - because I will not have someone else dictate to me about what I do with my dog. The decision on whether or not to neuter is down to myself and my wife as his owners, and other than a vet (for genuine medical reasons) I won't have anyone else tell me what to do with the dog.

And showing isn't the only reason for not neutering a dog - sometimes there can be genuine medical reasons why it may not be a good idea for a particular dog at a particular stage in their lives ;)

As for knowing all the risks involved - I presume you mean by not neutering? Because there's plenty of risks involved in neutering too. We did all our research, and made the decision on an informed basis as to what was best for the dog. That decision isn't written in stone, so may be changed in the future. I feel that people should do their own research for their own dogs when it comes to making such decisions - assessing ALL the risks for both cases.

Is that a man thing, knew loads of men who will not get their male dogs done, WHY? some of them have females dogs and they aint got a problem with getting them done

star-pants wrote: »
    Just a note please no use of 'txt spk' as they say.

sorry that is a bad habit of mine. even find when im writing notes to the kds teachers i do the same.

Is that a man thing, knew loads of men who will not get their male dogs done, WHY? some of them have females dogs and they aint got a problem with getting them done
    Perhaps you missed this bit?
    The decision on whether or not to neuter is down to myself and my wife as his owners, and other than a vet (for genuine medical reasons) I won't have anyone else tell me what to do with the dog.
    Like I said, we did our homework and made our decision on what is best for our dog - he NEEDS his nuts for now. And not so he can be shown.

Oh and before anyone tries to jump on me - its not so he can be bred from either :rolleyes:

And we have 2 un-neuterd females too (though granted one of them is only 14 weeks old) :D

Perhaps you missed this bit?

Like I said, we did our homework and made our decision on what is best for our dog - he NEEDS his nuts for now. And not so he can be shown.

Oh and before anyone tries to jump on me - its not so he can be bred from either :rolleyes:

And we have 2 un-neuterd females too (though granted one of them is only 14 weeks old) :D

So i pressume we can expect announcement shortly, what with a total male and a unspayed female

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boo1706

So i pressume we can expect announcement shortly, what with a total male and a unspayed female

ive got 2 un neutered bitches and 2 males but intact and i have never had any problems when the girls were in season , i have not had any litters from any of my girls either . :rolleyes:

I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I'm not a man and I'm not getting my samoyed male neutered.
    I'm showing him at the moment but if it doesn't work out for him I probably still won't neuter him.

As long as people are responsible enough to keep their dogs under control and have them securely kept so they can't roam I don't see the need to get them neutered.

If a vet told me that for his health he had to be neutered then I would but at the moment there is no need to have him go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

That's a very presumptious statement to make about people.

Not everyone who keeps unspayed bitches and in-tact males are going to have puppies.
    As long as people are responsible this is easily avoided.

jen_23 wrote: »
    That's a very presumptious statement to make about people.

Not everyone who keeps unspayed bitches and in-tact males are going to have puppies.
    As long as people are responsible this is easily avoided.
    but accidents can and do happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

IF we can keep this thread on topic - the OP asked for recommendations on getting a boxer dog, not peoples opinions on neutering.

Advertisement